Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew about the citric acid vs lemi-shine deal as I'm just getting into to doing some ultra-sonic cleaning. The other tips are good, but I rarely use untreated corncob or plain walnut, usually either the green treated corn cob or the walnut w/ rouge added. I also tend to buy in bulk so wasn't paying quite as high price as those in the little containers, but not as cheap as the ones he shows. Anyone know of cheaper options for media like the ones I linked below?

https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Jumbo-OMedia-Corncob-Pounds/dp/B00URUDWM6/

https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Large-Tufnut-Reloading-Pounds/dp/B001GX8IFE/

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,500 Posts
THROW a couple capfuls of BRASSO into your media and let it run.

I used it for... ever and it is GREAT.

Reactions: Hammer 1

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
THROW a couple capfuls of BRASSO into your media and let it run.

I used it for... ever and it is GREAT.
Brass is an alloy of copper. (about 70% copper - 30%zinc)

Ammonia dissolves copper.

Brasso contains guess what...

That stuff can leach the copper out of brass leaving it brittle because it contains ammonia.

Bad idea when there are so many ways out there to get brass clean as new faster and easier without it...

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
For vibratory cleaning, might be worth looking at harbor freight...if you can use walnut media. No idea if vibratory can or not tho, or if it’s better or worse than cob. 25 lbs for $25.

It’s harbor freight tho, might mayhaps contain Chinese baby panda toe nails. Who knows? so read reviews, look online for videos & such, I’d wager.

At the same time, It’s walnut shells, so how bad honestly can they fart that up?

———————————————-

For folks who want to wet tumble, check out Southern shine tumblers for steel media.

Little egg shaped chips, smaller than pins, far less expensive. Price depends upon quantity (weight) purchased.

Looks like Southern shines is still Facebook / email / phone only.

Or there media are also available here:

https://tbbullets.com/stainless-steel-tumbling-media/stainless-steel-tumbling-media-purchase/

No idea on if that site is a distributer, or what the relationship is.

Pricing seems higher than I recall, however it has been a few years, still markedly less expensive than standard pins. Ex 20lbs of chips $87 shipped. Currently. Probably have coupons / sales etc, like everywhere else.

Compared to Midway pins at about $8/lb, similar to pricing at our local Sportsmans warehouse (last I looked).

·
Militant Normal
10,410 Posts
Thing about any wet tumbling media is that it never wears out. My SS pins are now about 5 years old. The purchase price has long since been forgotten.

Ceramics ditto, but I prefer pins because I can pick up any spills with a magnet.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I wouldn't exactly call it a rip off but unless you are running large batches of medium to high caliber rifle brass, a Loretone or Harbor freight tumbler is a lot cheaper than the wet tumblers marketed to the reloading crowd. It only takes a small amount of pins to work as well. I bought 5 lbs and used a little over half in my Loretone single drum. I can do around 50 .45 ACP or 10mm cases and usually do 40 300BLK, 30 .223, or 25 .308. Keep in mind that it usually works in less than half the time that a vibratory unit with corn cob or walnut does without factoring in dry time. I was able to do several hundred .40 cases in one day last week mixing the loading and rinsing in with other chores and errands so for a single stage loader, it makes plenty of clean cases.
I still use a vibratory tumbler with plain corn cob but only to remove lube (I use homebrew lanolin) from rifle cases so I will probably get my next bag of media at the pet store as it doesn't last too long soaking up lanolin.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I wouldn't exactly call it a rip off but unless you are running large batches of medium to high caliber rifle brass, a Loretone or Harbor freight tumbler is a lot cheaper than the wet tumblers marketed to the reloading crowd.
I started with the dual drum HF wet tumbler and agree that it works well for small batches.

Anything more than a few hundred rounds though and there is no way I would be choosing that over my Thumler model B.

A thousand rounds of 5.56 can be done in 3 batches with the model B compared to god only know how many of the tiny HF drum loads the same number of rounds would take.

Gave right about $200 for my model B and it is built to last a lifetime as compared to around $65ish dollars for the HF tumbler which was obviously made as cheaply as China possibly could...

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,500 Posts
Brass is an alloy of copper. (about 70% copper - 30%zinc)

Ammonia dissolves copper.

Brasso contains guess what...

That stuff can leach the copper out of brass leaving it brittle because it contains ammonia.

Bad idea when there are so many ways out there to get brass clean as new faster and easier without it...
MAYBE..
BUt back when dinosaurs ruled the earth and I was comp shooting I was cleaning a LOT of brass. I had 25,000 .45acp that got cycled through regularly along with about 10,000 .308, as the primary powder burning components.

Never had a problem with any that I was aware of, but as you say, the times they are a chang'n. I got the idea for Brasso from a guy who used to reload for his ground guns. He had a custom tumbler that let him run 2,000 30 06 at a time.

When they come out they are really clean.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,500 Posts
JUST AS a point of clarification..

The brass was never dunked into the Brasso.

The brasso , like I said a couple tablespoon amounts were dumped into the media, the media run for a bit to distribute the brasso. On fresh new media it would just barely change the color once mixed and then the brass was loaded in and run, The big Dillon model like the one in TREMORS.

After a half an hour in the vibrator the stuff came out very clean.

Reactions: Hammer 1

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
I used to buy walnut cleaning stuff for my vibrating cleaner. I pick up a lot of range brass and it is sometimes nasty. I stopped by the pet store and bought a bag of ground corn cob. I added some soft scrub to the mix and use that. I usually clean after I deprime or after I load. Some frown on cleaning loaded ammo, but I have never had an issue. I used Brasso back in the 70's, it worked, I liked it

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,500 Posts
I used to buy walnut cleaning stuff for my vibrating cleaner. I pick up a lot of range brass and it is sometimes nasty. I stopped by the pet store and bought a bag of ground corn cob. I added some soft scrub to the mix and use that. I usually clean after I deprime or after I load. Some frown on cleaning loaded ammo, but I have never had an issue. I used Brasso back in the 70's, it worked, I liked it
THE THING about tumbling/vibrating loaded ammo is it depends on if it is a compressed load or not.

IF the load is not compressed, it allows the powder charge to go banging around in the case breaking down the powder thus changing the burn rate, and pressure and can actually change whether it goes off with a bang or a BANG!

Cleaning a compressed load is not the same problem.

THAT is the theory against it any way.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

·
Always Loaded
2,307 Posts
I buy corncob and walnut media made for pet bedding. It's very cheap if you shop around. The corncob is typically larger grain, so only use for straight walled cases ir it will clog up inside your brass. For polish, NuFinish car polish works just as well as the reloading specific brands for 1/4th the cost.

·
Militant Normal
10,410 Posts
Therein lies the "secret". Don't buy small quantities of supplies at fat markups. (My pet peeve is stock finishing oils. I can buy the same ingredients 10x cheaper at any paint/hardware store.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts