Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
What hell, pay attention
7,910 Posts
yeah and forget about reloading that brass.....
If you can find a port buffer, the brass is reloadable without issue.

I used them on my 91's, and usually got 6-8 reloads out of the brass. A bit lower than my M1's, M1A's, which were usually in the 10-12 load range, but I think thats just due to the differences in the actions and how the guns work.

If you shoot around a lot of hard things (concrete walls floors/walks, benches, etc), all the auto loaders are susceptible to damaged cases, mostly the case mouths.

As was mentioned, the HK's and their clones usually send the brass into the next county, so damaged or not, depending on where youre shooting, just finding it can be more of an issue. The port buffers take some of that out of it, and tend to redirect the brass a bit more to the right, but you still have to go look for it, and usually a lot farther out than you think.

·
Banned
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Mainly it is the case mouths that are the issue. I don't know if it is the ejection cycle, or re-entry to the atmosphere/thud.

I once had an FAL that beat up case mouths in the exact same fashion.

Since it ate the Tula without issue, I think a case of steel case is in order.

ALSO, just because the brass catcher (Caldwell) for your AR will cover the ejection port, DOES NOT mean that it will work.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,910 Posts
The 91's used to put a big dent into the sidewall of the case if you didnt use a buffer. Sometimes bad enough they wouldnt resize, and if you could, you never really got the dent out.

The case would hit the back side of the port on the way out and the edge of it caused the heavy "dent". The buffers eliminated and/or softened that.

Case mouths on anything flying around that impact anything hard tend to get beat up. Ive had it with 30-06, 308, 7.62x39, 5.56 etc. That going on repetitively, often made the cases unloadable.

I have a couple of the Caldwell brass catchers for my AR's and they work great. As long as you zip them back closed after you dump the bag. :thumb:

More than once I wondered what was hitting my feet as I was shooting. :D:

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,611 Posts
I had a similar issue, brand new and it didn't work correctly. PTR made it good, came back in beautiful running order with new bolt and piston.

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
Doesn't PTR have a lifetime warranty? Send it back.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts