Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
thats a cool idea, especially how they have it lock so u know ur not moving it around when trying to read it

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
The blind could lead the non-blind for a change!
Right off a cliff. Direction is not the only thing you need to know to travel safely in the outdoors. Of course it is always good to have more than one person in a group who knows how to use a compass. Without a map or knowledge of the area a compass really isn't much help if lost.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right off a cliff. Direction is not the only thing you need to know to travel safely in the outdoors. Of course it is always good to have more than one person in a group who knows how to use a compass. Without a map or knowledge of the area a compass really isn't much help if lost.
I know it's exactly 239 steps east through the apple orchard to reach the neighbor's house. I can count steps in any direction.... but if I lose my bearings I could be completely lost until I run into a landmark. For someone who regularly travels 'in the dark' a compass is THE most important.

I don't need to see. But I do need to know where I'm going.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
That seems about as logical as having braille on the drive through ATM's
I don't know... I think it could be very helpful for a blind person to have for their daily lives especially like on a large farm, rural area or something. They know their home is due east of a known location or something.

It probably wont do a lick of good on a backpacking trip. I mean there are no markings or mirrors on it so it is clearly not an orienteering compass.

Looks only good for general direction. And for daily living skills it would be good to know general direction. Especially if they get turned around when walking about or something. Instead of feeling hopelessly lost, they can know a general direction.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sigh

I did start this actually as a real topic. One that I actually do have a reason to look into and find useful for my situation.

Just saying.... the sarcastic comments are starting to get offensive. :thumb:

·
Banned
217 Posts
sigh

I did start this actually as a real topic. One that I actually do have a reason to look into and find useful for my situation.

Just saying.... the sarcastic comments are starting to get offensive. :thumb:
Could you explain how it may be useful?

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Could you explain how it may be useful?
Considering I'm blind. Knowing which direction I'm heading is kind of important. It would mean that if something happened to my dog while I'm in the woods past my known boundaries I could find my way without needing to seek known landmarks.

Like yourself in the pitch dark without a flashlight. And having a little dot of light pointing north all the time.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Considering I'm blind. Knowing which direction I'm heading is kind of important. It would mean that if something happened to my dog while I'm in the woods past my known boundaries I could find my way without needing to seek known landmarks.

Like yourself in the pitch dark without a flashlight. And having a little dot of light pointing north all the time.
yea i can understand that, it wont be a perfect answer but if u go slow enough and know basically which direction u need to travel im sure it could get u back.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts