Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Soaring BPA Levels Found in People Who Eat Canned Foods"

http://news.yahoo.com/soaring-bpa-levels-found-people-eat-canned-foods-221408095.html

I search BPA in the forums, didn't see any threads on this. My girlfriend sent me this article today. It's about a recent study that found a significant rise in BPA levels in people who ate a serving of canned soup (Progresso) everyday for 5 days. These people had 20.8 micrograms per liter of urine, while the ones who ate fresh soup had only 1.1 micrograms.

They don't talk about what amount is dangerous, but the numbers are still surprising, if not disturbing. Any experts out there have some input?

Canned food is common food prep most of us. Cheap, easy to find, to store, to incorporate into our diets and make sure our stores are rotated. For those of you with a lot of canned food stored up, share your thoughts.

Personally, I plan to keep canned food as a portion of my preps. It's kind of unavoidable at this point. However, this does motivate me to eventually learn to do my own canning (in mason jars, of course).

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
I have addressed this in the past but no one seems very concerned. Certain foods will leach out more of the BPA than others. Nalgene took it seroiusly enough to change the composition of their water bottles.

Too bad the food manufactures won't do the same.

·
Registered
939 Posts
not really sure if this means anything but, if the chemical was present in the urine sample doesn't that mean the body is processing it and removing it from the the rest of the body?? meaning it dosnt stay in your system like a heavy metal where it would be harmful in the long term.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have addressed this in the past but no one seems very concerned. Certain foods will leach out more of the BPA than others. Nalgene took it seroiusly enough to change the composition of their water bottles.

Too bad the food manufactures won't do the same.
I wonder why people aren't as concerned about this. BPA in plastic bottles got a lot of attention. Maybe we'll see changes if this issue gains enough traction. But in the article they did say that a few canned food manufacturers have made the effort to remove the BPA from their product.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,416 Posts
Some of the threads in the past had links that did show how much was unhealthy. And it was a far lower amount than most people are taking in. It's a problem that needs more attention focused on it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not really sure if this means anything but, if the chemical was present in the urine sample doesn't that mean the body is processing it and removing it from the the rest of the body?? meaning it dosnt stay in your system like a heavy metal where it would be harmful in the long term.
Interesting thought, there must be an explanation for that, I have no idea what it would be though.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I came to post about this too. If SHTF, our consumption of canned goods will skyrocket :/

I have also tried to find information on how to remove it from your body, but haven't found anything concrete, just a lot of scare literature on the evils of BPA. Has anyone found anything that has some scientific backing to it?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some of the threads in the past had links that did show how much was unhealthy. And it was a far lower amount than most people are taking in. It's a problem that needs more attention focused on it.
Oh boy, that's not comforting! Thank you for chiming in about it. Time to start doing some research of my own now.. I do eat canned soup and canned tuna 1-2 times a week.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
starving to death or BPA all i can say is

bon appetite!
Hahaa.. well, lucky for us all we are not at the point yet. Now is the time to figure out how serious this is and to make the transition over to jars, home canning and other options.

Some of us will start to look mighty generous at our local food drives. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,416 Posts
Oh boy, that's not comforting! Thank you for chiming in about it. Time to start doing some research of my own now.. I do eat canned soup and canned tuna 1-2 times a week.
If you look into it, it gets real scary real fast. Especially once they start linking illnesses with it that are becoming common. I was startled to find out a lot of it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Eden is the only one I am aware of without BPA. It is a LOT pricier though, at least in Canada, and there isn't a lot of variety :/ They say that they are the only company to offer canned goods without BPA.

http://www.edenfoods.com/articles/view.php?articles_id=178

Consumer Reports did a study on cans and BPA, and said some that said they were BPA-free weren't, not sure if it was Eden though. I am going to check it out at the library and see what it says, I consider CR a more reliable source than some of what I found online today about it.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ber-2009/food/bpa/overview/bisphenol-a-ov.htm

·
Don't tread on me.
980 Posts
Not at all. Think meth in a urine sample. Doesn't mean it doesn't wreak havoc on your system in the process, heart liver, etc.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Not at all. Think meth in a urine sample. Doesn't mean it doesn't wreak havoc on your system in the process, heart liver, etc.
Maybe, but I dont eat, lithium batteries, annhydrous ammonia, ether, drano etc. I dont see this being in the same catagory.
(for those that dont know, all the items above are used in manifacture of meth)

·
Banned
3,889 Posts
BPA is good for you.

We dont need testosterone anymore. Males are too aggressive and nonsubmissive.

For civilization to work we need gentlemen. Since parents cant teach their boys to be gentlemen anymore we need to add chems to the food and water to force compliance of our young boys.

We need docile men with more estrogens.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts