1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
His biggest mistake was to keep walking. The very minute he realized he was lost, he should of stuck around that particular area and put his shelter up there.

Good post, glad it worked out for him.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
The right thing is not to take unnecessary risks through unessential trips and in contrast to him, tens of millions of kids in the US weren't a cause for concern.

This is a FAIL, not a triumph.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily consider it a "fail" if he was alright in the end. Sh*t happens, people get lost, but he was smart to just stay calm and build a shelter. I'd be interested to know if this was just the classic lean-to they teach in the Boy Scouts, or if it was more substantial like a debris hut with lots of leaves and stuff piled on for insulation. Also, I'm not sure about that thing where he covered himself in dirt for warmth... Does that work? I'd prefer to stuff my clothes with dry leaves and stuff instead.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily consider it a "fail" if he was alright in the end. Sh*t happens, people get lost, but he was smart to just stay calm and build a shelter. I'd be interested to know if this was just the classic lean-to they teach in the Boy Scouts, or if it was more substantial like a debris hut with lots of leaves and stuff piled on for insulation. Also, I'm not sure about that thing where he covered himself in dirt for warmth... Does that work? I'd prefer to stuff my clothes with dry leaves and stuff instead.
His lean to might be found on Re Max website in their MLS listings! I hear BOA is going to robo sign on the foreclosure papers any day now!

Kidding.

·
To the surface!
8,012 Posts
Also, I'm not sure about that thing where he covered himself in dirt for warmth... Does that work? I'd prefer to stuff my clothes with dry leaves and stuff instead.
It depends on a number of factors. How cold is the air? How wet is the dirt? What do you have between you and the dirt?

You can dig down into the dirt (or snow) to get further down out of the wind, and then lay down leaves and branches to lay on, and then cover yourself with something on top of you. If you have something between you and the dirt on top of you, then dirt can help keep the air from circulating so close to you and that can help keep you warm.

·
Registered
395 Posts
After getting lost, he should have stayed put. Moving around makes it harder for search team members to find him. Building a shelter and keeping calm was a good thing.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I will not praise a scout who clearly broke the rules. Yes its good he knew what to do- thats Scouting. Willfully breaking the rules is not!! He has the skills but not the character.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
He's only 12 yo. He hasn't had a chance to build character yet.

And I'm sure you've broken a rule or two in your life time.
It's not about breaking rules, its about rewarding behavior that should not be rewarded.

If I told my dog to sit, and he instead would lie down, then Im not going to reward him. Bad dog, no treat! Right?

Why would anyone say this kid did everything right when he was wrong from the word go? To top it off, he broke the cardinal rule of staying put. That rule is CARDINAL in the scouts - if you get lost, STAY PUT!

So he slept in the woods.. he should realize the lessons to be learned, not rewarded for going at it Bear Gryll's style.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
We also don't know how long this kid has been a scout. He could have just joined for all we know.

He's also not a dog. :rolleyes:
the stay put rule is stressed on every outing, that and the buddy system.

He could of been a scout for one day, that rule would of been stressed.

I don't think how long he was a scout really matters.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Look I was an ASM. When we went out we talked about the rules. Unless this was one p*** poor run troop the kid knew the rules. You do not go off by yourself. If you have to go to the bathroom you tell someone. You should have a buddy. There are things about this that leave a lot of questions. Bottom line though the kid did not follow the rules. 12 year old is old enough to know better. Granted the Scout Masters should of known who and what they were dealing with. I doubt there is no Scout Master that hasn't found themselves in the situatution where they go "wheres so-n-so? You know NOT to go off by yourself" Son of a B!!! There was a time that at twelve you were done with school. If you were a girl in a couple of years you would expect to be someones wife. 12 is old enough to know better . This is not cub scouts.

When a troop goes off on a wilderness campout/hike the rules are gone over. Now if the troop leader were not up to the task then I'd cut the kid some slack. But I doubt thats the case. Scout Masters that talk a good game rarely go anywhere but the local Boy Scout camp.

No. The reality if you like it or not is that the kid broke the rules, period!! Otherwise he wouldn't of ended up lost!!

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Wandering when lost is a very common event. People just dont believe their lost even when the compass is telling them otherwise (some carry 2 for this purpose). Many, even those trained, have fallen fowl of this psychology.

I think he did well for a 12 year old. Now he can learn from his mistakes.

NB By the way this is the third time a youngster has got lost in the mountains/outback wearing just a T shirt and jeans, maybe its about time their leaders actually had them carry some decent clothes.

·
Registered
395 Posts
This is not cub scouts.
And it's not the military either. :rolleyes:

No. The reality if you like it or not is that the kid broke the rules, period!! Otherwise he wouldn't of ended up lost!!
Yes, he did break the rules. Hopefully, he'll learn from his mistake. Like I said in an earlier post...I highly doubt you went through your childhood and didn't break any rules.

·
Wire Guided
933 Posts
A 12 year old broke a rule? Imagine that...

Did he do everything exactly right according to the Wilderness Survival merit badge pamphlet? No. Did he do enough things right to survive and learn from his mistakes? Yes. That counts as a "win" in my book (BTW, I am a Wilderness Survival merit badge counselor, ASM and Cubmaster.)

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
And it's not the military either. :rolleyes:

Yes, he did break the rules. Hopefully, he'll learn from his mistake. Like I said in an earlier post...I highly doubt you went through your childhood and didn't break any rules.
This is totally NOT the same thing. First I assume you have never been responsible for a group of kids in the wilderness. If the kid had sneaked food into his tent and was attacked by a bear, would your response be "Hey he's 12 we all broke the rules at that age"?

Yes Scouts are not the Military. That doesn't mean that there are not rules established for safety. When you sign up for a trip you agree to abide by the rules.

The problems with responses like yours is that you excuse behavior that shouldn't be excused.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts