Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My left handed 16 year old boy wants a bow. I would like to get him something he can grow into with regard to ability. He's a big boy. 6', 180, all muscle. He can handle most pulls. Looking to buy used. A couple I have seen mathews Z-Max, bear, and some others. He has experience handguns and long guns and is really not too interested. I figure with a quality purchase, it can be sold with no problem if he shifts back to firearms.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Hi everyone, I have been off this site for almost a year. Ill chime in on this one. Take the boy to a good archery shop that has an attached range. Plan on spending half the day. Let him shoot as many models as he wants or they will allow him to shoot. Nothing beats what works. He will find what he likes and then you will know. The new world of compound bows is quite exciting. They are fast powerful and light weight. Deadly accurate and easy to master. My guess is he will land there in the Mathews or similar type. Lots of real good stuff here on this forum on primitive bows and such. I started with a Bear 76er take down 45 pound recurve. It was weak and barely killed a couple deer. I killed a lot of dear with a Bear Whitetail II 65 pound compound. It was heavy and real slow compared to today's high tech bows. Today I shoot a Wicked Ridge Invader crossbow. 300 fps. Pass through shots , cant ask for better accuracy or power. I started with a primitive bow and added power and speed as I got more experience. There is no need today to start with something weak. Good luck. And enjoy the process.
Kingfish

·
ready for it!
271 Posts
Dream bow...

I finally broke down and traded my Hoyt for a Matthews No-Cam...

Where I was leery of taking shots before now it is just too easy. Have 3 inch groups at 60 yards and I am an old man.

My Hoyt lasted me 15 years...this bow will last my son's lifetime it is that sweet.

M2c

1 - 3 of 3 Posts