Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really taking an interest in bows and hunting with them. Unfortunately I know absolutely nothing about them. So with that being said is there any websites, vidoes, or books that could teach the most beginer of beginners?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's a couple of sites with loads of info; given the time to read and sort.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb

and

http://www.archerysite.net

nodakoutdoors.com has a bow hunting section, along with other methods and varieties of game, all by section.

If you have a specific question, ask here or pm me.

One of the best things to do is to find a good pro shop; not a big box outdoor retailer that sells bows. If your lucky you can find one that you can develop a good relationship with. You can learn all you want about the equipment at this place, plus they will get you fitted for your bow so you will get optimum performance from it.

One other thing to keep in mind about archery equipment is that it is highly personal. What works for you well just might highly suck for me, and vice versa, so take advice with a grain of salt; especially online. You will find that archers are just as passionate about the things they like and dislike.

Here's a few things I like, and why:

Hybrid cam/binary cam bows ; because I like the way the draw feels.
Carbon arrows; because they are either straight or broken
Fixed blade broadheads; 'cuz their fixed, mechanicals have some issues.
Hand held releases; 'cuz wrist strap releases have hurt me.

Now I'm sure your asking yourself whats wrong with single cam bows, aluminum arrows, mechanical broadheads and wrist strap releases. Nothing at all. All the current archery gear available is fully capable of delivery a level of lethality to it intended target, YOU have to put it there.

As far as methods and tactics, you owe it to yourself to get a tree stand. The elevated position gives you a better range of vision, upwards to 300 degrees. A ground blind will give you about 180. That said, I use both.

Sorry if I went long on you, bowhunting is my passion.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Thats some pretty sound advice that I pretty much agree with. You might save a few bucks in the big box store but at a no kidding bow shop is where your going to get the kinda service and bow tuning your going to need not to mention more sounds advice than you can use in a life time. Getting that kinda service in a big box store is real hit and miss.

About the Carbon Arrows...I started with aluminum and they worked. Once I upgraded to Carbon I swore Id never go back to an aluminum arrow EVER again. In this day and age Carbon arrows just dont cost that much more than quality aluminum and the benefits definitely out weigh the cost difference. It was probably one of the biggest improvements in my shooting, that I have made.

Fix Blade broadheads...I have played around with both and I have to say I very much prefer the fix blades to mechanicals. They are a little more tricky to tune with your rig than mechanicals but I like thier reliability and I feel like they are more durable.

Stands...I have also used both and I prefer a tree stand anytime I can use one. If you use one then make sure you get a good 3d target with a replaceable vitals and practice from a stand. When your shooting at an agle like that your arrow has slightly different "angle of attack", and the higher you are over a target and the closer it is the more it changes slightly. One other note...wear a harness. I live down here in ******* land where "we dont need no sticking harness". I have one aquantince whos is no longer here with us and a couple who can no longer hunt anymore and are wheel chair bound. A few more that just dont get along as well as they used too after getting off the stand the "fast" way. Safety aint no joke!

·
Intemporaliter Fidelis
282 Posts
I am really taking an interest in bows and hunting with them. Unfortunately I know absolutely nothing about them. So with that being said is there any websites, vidoes, or books that could teach the most beginer of beginners?

If you just want to hunt with a bow a compound is alright but from a SHTF point of view go with a Traditional bow and If you can. learn how to build your own. Most of the compounds require special equipment to work on them and if the Bow shop is closed or god forbid looted and burned down you are screwed.

I have been building my own for about a year and it is a nice feeling knowing that I can do my own Bows, Shaft, and String. Only the most basic tools are required. fancy tools make the work easier but it can be easily be done without them.

Also tree stands are great if you just want to hunt but once again from a SHTF scenario learn how to stalk and track. I have a feeling post SHTF game will be more scarce and Much more timid and you will probably have to go into the thickets after them.

For more info google Trad Gang and The bowyers Den.

·
Question Authority!
260 Posts
I too am new to the sharp stick sport. I was fortunate enough to be fitted for a bow by a consumate professional. He told me that you are not leaving here until I am comfortable with the way you shoot. After 2 hours, I grouped at 20, 30, 40, and was hitting the target at 50 yards. From never picking up a bow before, I can tell you first hand go to the independent shop and find an archer who will set up your equipment for you. It will save $$$$ on the aggravation factor 100 fold. Good luck-chinagreen

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
It's a good idea to become acquainted with the concepts of draw length, pounds of pull and let off. Then once you know what size and power of bow is good for you, Ebay will get you some really, really good bows from knowledgeable owners for 1/4 the price of a new one.
I've been using the same Fred Bear White Tail 2 for going on 4 years know and it hasn't let me down. Got it on Ebay for around a hundred fifty bucks.
Arrows are another story. Seems no matter where you are they're expensive.
Another important point is to make sure your arrow strength matches the force generated by your bow. Once you find a good arrow match for your bow, keep with the same stock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts