Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
BowHunter
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Season starts here in MT tomorrow, hope to kill my elk first day:thumb::rolleyes:

Anybody else getting ready?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Anybody got some advice on buying a bow? I'm looking for something good but cheap. I have very little knowledge about bows. :(

·
Registered
798 Posts
Anybody got some advice on buying a bow? I'm looking for something good but cheap. I have very little knowledge about bows. :(
All boils down to what you want to spend. Good bows have been being made for about the last 10 years. "I use to work at angler Rod And Sport in St. Clair MI." You can get into a nice used bow that once cost about 800$ for about 200$ now. If you want braggin rights for the next year.....1000-1500$
I personaly have two bows. There both older but still have about 300fps with gold tip carbons and 100gr. muzzys. Save your money for other gear and buy somethin nice thats used. Stick to PSE, Hoyt, Bowtech, Martin, Browning. Dont buy a crazy Onida. They look awsome but parts are a MOTHER GUCKER to get. Best luck man.:thumb:

·
Registered
435 Posts
ok. I was looking for something in the 250 range. wanting it for deer and survival stuff. How do you know your getting a good one? What features should one look for. I know I sound like a moron but i haven't ever really been a bow guy.

·
BowHunter
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok. I was looking for something in the 250 range. wanting it for deer and survival stuff. How do you know your getting a good one? What features should one look for. I know I sound like a moron but i haven't ever really been a bow guy.
Go to a archery shop, they often will have used "trade-in bows" and the shop owner will often help you get a good bow for you, most times as part of the price of the bow.:thumb:

·
BowHunter
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had a bull on the hook this morning,but another bull came in and I was in danger of blowing both out, decided to back off and go at them in the morning from a different direction. Buck brush twice as high as my head,soaking wet by 7 am. What a blast!! :thumb:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Look in craigs list or on e-bay. You will find some. Be careful about anything under $100. I got an older parker cheap on E-bay which has served me well for a cheap bow. I had a bow shop tune it up and restring it for me and I have had no problems. They are no bowtech but I have taken deer with no problems. A very affordable option. Bow season starts her in october and I am ready.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have been thinking about a bow for survival use too. I came to a realization a few months ago. My bows require anual work. Thats a major no go. If TSHTF bow parts are where...........? I have been thinking about going traditional and getting into a take down recurve. There simple. A bow, and a string. Grab about 4-5 strings and throw em in with the preps. Compound bows have tons of parts and if a major componant fails...:confused: Take down recurve baby!!:thumb:

·
BowHunter
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been thinking about a bow for survival use too. I came to a realization a few months ago. My bows require anual work. Thats a major no go. If TSHTF bow parts are where...........? I have been thinking about going traditional and getting into a take down recurve. There simple. A bow, and a string. Grab about 4-5 strings and throw em in with the preps. Compound bows have tons of parts and if a major componant fails...:confused: Take down recurve baby!!:thumb:
I admit to having thought about that myself, just have never shot without sights. Good idea! :thumb:

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
I had been out of archery/bowhunting for many years and got back in a yr or so ago, so I was kinda out of touch too. I ended up going for a PSE Stinger NI compund bow from the USA. I am very happy with it. It was easy to setup, shoots well, is quiet, and robust. Fires at 304FPS, and if you buy the 'package' comes with a sight and some carbon arrows.

Here's a link to a review: http://www.huntersfriend.com/2008-PSE-Stinger-Package/2008-PSE-Stinger-Compound-Bows.htm

I am writing a review of the new holographic sight I just bought for it. I use a Patriot wrist release aid, Vapor 300 series carbon arrows with Slik-Trik 4-blade braodheads, a 7" Vibracheck damper, Firefox Holographic Bow Sight from Sureshot Archery Products in MI, a leather bow-sling.

All up this setup cost me about US$450-500 I reckon. Good luck with your search. The bare bow was about US$300, but ask for the kit coz it comes with extras, like sight, arrow-rest, arrows, bow quiver etc.

Any other comments or questions on my choice are also most welcome.

I simply cannot say enough good things about this bow setup, for my hunting/ survivalist purposes.

Cheers Herne

·
BowHunter
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^, soooo, how big an animal(deer, elk) can you shoot with this? (newbie wanting to get into bow hunting)
I have heard of people that bowhunt elephant,hippo and cape buffalo. They use special heavy weight arrows for extra penetration and bows that rambo might not be able to pull back to his ear. Elk and deer are pretty easy to put down,not requiring to heavy of gear. I knew one gal that killed all her deer with a 45# compound bow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts