Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

My little girl's birthday is coming up.
I want to get her (and she wants) a bow & arrow.

Should I get just a toy one or go for the real thing?
If a real one, any recommendations on a first bow for a kid?

Thanks,
DR

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
+1 for the Genisis. Good learning bow that will take all the cool stuff dads bow has, sights, quiver and rests. Totally buildable for the later years. In some states it will actually be strong enough to hunt deer with.

·
Banned
951 Posts
genesis is good, walmart also has a bear starter bow that i believe is 15lbs, its inexpensive and great for a starter, i would take her to an archery shop and see what she can pull first, my niece is 8 and still cant get 15lbs back steady so she has to wait till she can use her bow

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, this last weekend I took the kid to Cabela's.
She got a Bear Lil Brave 2 (she tried a bigger one, but couldn't pull it back far enough).
It works nicely for her.

I got the PSE Razorback Jr for me.
She should grow into mine in less than a year (I hope).
At that point (or sooner), I'll get smtg with more strength to be able to take down game if needed.

Thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She keeps pestering me to make our own mouthwash, soap, and toothpaste!
I love this kid!

DR_NJ

·
Registered
67 Posts
Agreed about the Matthews Genesis. My daughter has this bow and uses it for competition. It is the required bow for Archery in Mississippi.

(This is the bow that the high schools and elementary schools use here in Mississippi for their Archery seasons. Several years ago Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks introduced into the school systems the AIMS program (Archery in Mississippi Schools). It is the fastest growing "sport" that all kids can participate in. Plus it teaches the kids about archery and safety. Not necessarily plugging the program, but the program requires the Matthews Genesis bow.)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
...Several years ago Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks introduced into the school systems the AIMS program (Archery in Mississippi Schools)...
Wow, that is great. I can't see that type of program happening in NJ.
I will be very happy to finally move to a free state. But that will be a few years from now.

Until then, we'll learn by shooting in the backyard and then out in the fields and such.

DR_NJ

1 - 18 of 18 Posts