Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tired of waiting for the fish to bite; I'm going to go on the offensive.

What works, what doesn't?

What gear is crap, and what do you like?

What about licensing?

This YouTube vid sure wets my appetite:

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
I prefer to set a fish trap in a hole while camp is being set up. About 2 hours before dark, set a trot line out and check it every couple of hours. While camping up near Dahlonega I watched a guy spear fish. The discipline required to do that is truly demanding

·
Yes, great changes come!
52 Posts
We don't have such big fishes in Scandinavia [no swamps], so bowfishing would be a waste of energy. It was really cool to watch though!
Crossbows are easier to sight with I guess, but big arrows/bolts would be needed to not stick it into the fish[?]

What is the name of those damn big fishes? Think I saw a sturgeon in the first part of the movie.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
That is a lot of meat, 175 pounds.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Can those Alligator Gar take that kind of pressure on their stocks? Lets face it you can't do any catch and release if you bowfish, you hunt for meat. Unregulated it seems like a good way to drive a species to extinction and seen as though these fish only exist in your part of America that would be a terrible shame for such an ancient creature.

Having said that I have nothing against people taking part in any shooting sport.

But for me I'd rather hook one of those fish on rod and line and then have the choice of whether or not to release it.

·
A friend of the Site
1,966 Posts
Nice stet up and it is another good way to provide needed food.

·
Registered
688 Posts
What would be a good setup? Would a recurve bow do the trick?

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
Twang, blub, blub, wriggle

What would be a good setup? Would a recurve bow do the trick?
Sure. Recurves are good for bow-fishing. They don't have all the extra mechanicals that compounds carry. You could probably pick up a good recurve BF setup for under US$150.

I have a PSE compound, so I naturally gravitate to a brand I know when making recommendations, but just Google up 'recurve bow fishing' and you'll get some good hits. Here's one I found and liked:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...ogle&cm_pla=recurve bow fishing&cm_ite=netcon

Sorry for the long URL. It was for a PSE Kingfisher BF kit. Here's the blurb:

The PSE Kingfisher Bowfishing Kit allows you to get into bowfishing without spending a bunch. PSE's Kingfisher is a durable, hard-shooter that goes easy on your budget. It features an All-Season camo finish and comes with everything you need to get into bowfishing. Kit includes Kingfisher recurve bow, front-mounted reel, 50 yards of 80-lb.-test line, 31" solid fiberglass arrow, Sting-A-Ree point and a durable roller arrow rest. Right-hand only.
Available: 40 lb., 45 lb., 50 lb. - draw weights.

Good fishing.

·
Registered
688 Posts
That's great, and thanks for the link!

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
The fishing looked great but I was especially impressed with the Aerosmith tune.:)
It looks like a lot of fun. Don't know about the rules in my neck of the woods but in an emergency...anything goes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts