Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was concerned about fuel efficiency, I have driven for four+ hours searching for a gas station that had fuel. (I was so lucky I bought a gas can and filled it before I arrived in that area.

I was also concerned about getting a good 4x4. The snow gets deep in northern Alberta.

So I picked up a nice little Jeep Patriot. The trail-rated. Four low.... etc.

Now I know that what they post as the fuel efficiency is crap compared to what you really get. I was still disappointed. Not surprised but disappointed.

Last week I chained up the tires and drove down my heavily snowed road. I got stuck FOUR times. Nothing wrong with the traction, it just has some funky thing where it decides that I really don't need to go there. It was wrong! I did want to go home and enjoy not being in a vehicle. At one point, I was stuck pointed up hill. All four chained up tires were spinning. Not a problem right, back up and use a little momentum. I put it in reverse and .... nothing. It revved but the tires wouldn't turn. It wouldn't back down a hill that all four tires were spinning trying to go forward.
I got out, said many bad words and said some rather unflattering things to the Jeep.

Eventually, I dug out in front and was able to chew forward.

I had intended to fully outfit the Jeep for as a daily driver BOV but now I'm not seeing that as a good idea.

I wasn't looking for Rufus or anything but that was not what I expected at all.

Any suggestions on a good snow worthy vehicle to begin rebuilding the dream.

·
Registered
166 Posts
*Cough*LandRover*Cough*:D:

Only kidding...well actually not, but I've heard they do horrible things to Land Rovers in the US (as in, crushing).

If the engine revs but the wheels don't turn... I'm no expert but that sounds like a clutch problem, unless it's got some fancy electronic thing happening.

When I'm out bush, I like to take a pair of MaxTrax, but they're kind of bulky for EDC.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was a slope on my road, nothing serious but I broke through a snow packed area to the ground. Only about six inches. However, since it was already busted up behind me backing up shouldn't have been an issue. I do think it was some funky electronic issue. Stupid computers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
5he road had a packed base of snow, about six inches deep. There was another 16-18" of fresher snow on top.

The slope was on about a 12°month angle.

The patriot isn't very heavy but I was towing three tires bolted in a triangle, to float the road; a poor man's plow. They can get heavy and that was part of the difficulty with the slope but again backing up shouldn't have been an issue.

If it wasn't for a Corb Lund song an hour later I would have lit the thing on fire and danced naked around it, instead I was laughing.... much better choice in -42°c with the windchill.

I usually use the quad to pull the tires but it was a nasty wind that day so I used the jeep.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Sounds like a traction control problem. When it sensing slipping its pulling power from the axles. Sometimes it disables in 4 lo. The problem with that is most rigs have too much torque in low range. Google the vehicle and do some reading up on an owners forum there is a lot of information out there and I will bet somebodies already had that problem and fixed it.

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
5he road had a packed base of snow, about six inches deep. There was another 16-18" of fresher snow on top.

The slope was on about a 12°month angle.

The patriot isn't very heavy but I was towing three tires bolted in a triangle, to float the road; a poor man's plow. They can get heavy and that was part of the difficulty with the slope but again backing up shouldn't have been an issue.

If it wasn't for a Corb Lund song an hour later I would have lit the thing on fire and danced naked around it, instead I was laughing.... much better choice in -42°c with the windchill.

I usually use the quad to pull the tires but it was a nasty wind that day so I used the jeep.
From my experience living in the very snowy mountains the consistency of the snow has a lot to do with it....This particular day you were expecting too much out of your vehicle....

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
i really don't know of any small suv that would have done any better. when you buy one of those you also are buying their limitations. i have a kia sportage and sometimes have to disable the ESC when in 4wd mode to keep moving the way i want to. fortunately, it has switches for the ESC and the 4wd so i can use them as i see fit. if your Patriot has similar switches, you might try playing with them a little more to get it to do what you want.
in any case, using it to plow, even with your 'poor man's plow' setup, is more than it was designed for i'm sure. i'm thinking that in your situation, you might have to give up a few mpg's for a vehicle (truck, suburban, etc.) that will do what you're needing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes it's an automatic.

Yeah it was getting pretty warm. While you guys are probably right about it being too much for the little thing, that's where I live. I guess I need to find something more suitable to how I actually live. Of course, repairing the the plow for the quad would likely help too.
I guess I was just stunned that the quad could outwork the jeep.

·
If I had a voice I'd sing
7,138 Posts
My wife's Volvo has the traction control. It limits power to the wheel that is slipping. Unfortunately we have a very icy hill to climb to get to our homestead. I basically have to spin the wheels the whole way up in my truck. The darn car limits the power to both wheels, so she can't get up the hill. The engine revs but the wheels don't spin. This overheats the engine, too.

I would look for the traction control circuit and put a toggle switch in it. OR you may already have a switch to turn it off.

BTW if you had all 4 wheels spinning you have locked front and rear differentials or some type of limited slip differentials in both front and rear. If you had that option you would probably know it because it would be reflected in the price tag. My wife's Jeep Rubicon had lockers, but you had to push the button to turn them on. The Rubicon also had traction control, but a pushbutton turned it off.

Almost all 4 wheel drives are really two wheel drive, one in front and one in rear. And it is typical because of the design that the wheel with the less traction gets the power from the defferential. Unless you have some type of limited slip or axle locker.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It wasn't quite at overheating yet but it did make it about halfway up the gauge. I know that the patriot does have a system that shuts down when it gets too hot. However, it got warm after it got stuck.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I would check, it your temp guage is for the motor not your tranny. Your tranny will make your motor run hot because they use the same radiator, just different compartments. You can actually burn your tranny up completely and it may not show on temp guage. All you have to do is pull your dipstick for your tranny and smell it, it will smell burnt or off.

·
If I had a voice I'd sing
7,138 Posts
I got the best four wheel drive package I could for the patriot . I just expected more from a jeep 4x4.
Ya, but it is still a Patriot, not a Rubicon. I don't know what the options are for that vehicle. You might not have drive available at all wheels.

It wasn't quite at overheating yet but it did make it about halfway up the gauge. I know that the patriot does have a system that shuts down when it gets too hot. However, it got warm after it got stuck.
See if you can find a button to turn off the traction control. If not, pull the fuse and see if that fixes it. Then at least you'll know.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.