Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all have tried (or should have) to see how fast we can bug out if need be…

We also know that two or three is better than one. So with that in mind (extra BOB already to go) how many have a BOV already loaded, filled with fuel all ready to jump in and turnkey and take off..? The BOV already loaded with everything you need… I mean you don't have to grab anything, just jump in and drive off.

I know if you have a garage that is not attached to the home and is somewhat climate controlled storing food may be a problem. But other than that, pros & cons?

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
Preloaded ---- no - but

Boxed, bucketed, ready to throw and go.

·
Left the building
9,363 Posts
I wish I could do that but I only have one vehicle.
That's me too. BUT! I got rid of my 05 Grand Cherokee Tuesday. It had a cargo area of 39 cubic feet with the seats folded. I bought a 2009 XTerra....which has 65.7 cubic feet of cargo space. I can get a LOT more stuff in there, if I ever did have to bug out. Got an extra 55 horse power too......:D:

·
Banned
1,632 Posts
I try to keep my pickup above a 95% ready rate. Never go below 1/2 tank of fuel, keep up with routine maint. Basically have it ready like a fireman his firetruck.

I keep my water/food in the cool basement, have planks of wood and a rope system, kind of like an old swing so I can drag up the provisions. I figure going up and down the stairs all the time, I will be worn out before I get it all loaded.

The rest of my strategic reserves are kept in large plastic totes, not the flimsy ones but ones that are much stronger so I can grab them, load them and go. Running around the house looking for things is out of the question. I prepare with the mindset that we do not have time.

My pickup is a mid-size but I have the suspension capable of 2,100 lbs. payload soon, roof basket and cap with 6-point ladder frame on top of the cap for more gear storage, etc... and over 12 inches of ground clearance.

·
Registered
9,102 Posts
The only problem that comes to mind is making sure the battery is still powered up. It would be a very bad situation if you went to all this trouble and the darn thing wouldnt start.

The other thing is theft of said vehicle or spoilage of batteries etc within it.

I think as long as everything was ready in boxes or bags and could be packed within the first 10 minutes then you'd still be ahead of the game. But then again if your like here in London theres traffic on the road already so your going to get jams where ever you go EXCEPT if you left in the early hours (3 - 4am) of the morning.

·
Banned
1,632 Posts
I only drive a stick shift and racing down in Baja before I can recall pushing my race truck down the road to drop the clutch and get it going again. Worked everytime, that is on the road and not the rough terrain...

·
Old Hounds Smell Good
1,077 Posts
LOL....If I had enough money to have a BOV just sitting around without using it as a daily car, I wouldn't know what to do with myself! I keep things organized and ready to go for loading and that is just about as much as I can do.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I have the travel trailer loaded and ready to go just hook it up and on the road. It is not all my preps but it would be enough food and water to last a month or so if I didn't have time to get my others loaded. I don't forsee though to many scenarios that I wouldn't have time to load more preps, especially those that are already packed and ready to go.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,241 Posts
I don't keep the BOV prepacked. But I do keep my critical gear packed in totes that are numbered by priority. I can start at #1 and keep loading until I either run out of time and have to leave, or get them all. If I can't get them all, at least I have the most important ones with critical items in them.

Since I keep my gun show merchandise packed the same way, I'm very practiced at loading and unloading. I can totally load in less than 20 minutes without breaking a sweat. The van holds 20 large totes and 16 smaller ones, with extra room at the top and sides if I have time to grab spare clothes, a few prized guns from the collection, etc.

I'd still be leaving a lot of my bulk foods behind. But I have a bunch at the BOL and a lot in the totes.

I keep them stacked in the garage. I installed a cooler on it to keep heat down in the summer. Which is odd, because I don't use climate control in my house. It feels funny to go into the garage for something, and it's more comfortable than the house itself! :D:

People who are considering having to bug out by vehicle really need to put some thought into how they will go about it. Time may be of the essence, so a plan really needs to be in place ahead of time. That's a lesson I learned the hard way when we had flooding here. I wasn't packed up and ready to load, so it took me FAR longer to get loaded up than I had anticipated. I was lucky to have the time then, but I can see situations where a person might not be that lucky.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts