Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Simple Man
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several pounds of rice stored and was wanting something cheap and easy to add to it, for flavoring. I decided beef and chicken boullion cubes would work great for making rice soup (after reading that same suggestion here on this site).

My question is, how long do the boullion cubes stay good for? I've never actually looked at the packaging before, so I don't know if they even have an expiration date. Thanks for any info you can give.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
We have had some in our shelf for years. I will tell you they do lose some of their punch after a few years. Depends a lot on how you store them I guess. One note on Rice, be sure you store white rice. the brown rice has an acidity to it that makes it hard to store. I like brown rice so it is not what I wanted to hear either. I asked the guy at the spice store about it.

The cubes sound like a good idea. You may also want to order some powdered Butter as well. You can get it in the #10 cans. that would help too. Best wishes on your preperations.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
not quite boullion cubes, but...

Strangely, I have amassed several (more than 30) of the "seasoning packets" that come in raman noodle packages; I can't seem to get rid of them...they last forever and I always throw one or two in my backpack when I will be in the woods or mountains for several days. Never actually "needed" them, but would make a nice hot soup if I ever ran out of other food.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I'm stocking up on BBQ sauce to add to rice by itself for a meal. Kikomans stir fry is good too. Only draw back is to keep it safe it should be refrigerated.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
I bought a gallon of soy sauce at sams. It should last forever! and it doesen't have to be refrigerated. Next is some bottles of teriyaki. I think vac sealing the cubes might help keep em better..?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
We have had some in our shelf for years. I will tell you they do lose some of their punch after a few years. Depends a lot on how you store them I guess. One note on Rice, be sure you store white rice. the brown rice has an acidity to it that makes it hard to store. I like brown rice so it is not what I wanted to hear either. I asked the guy at the spice store about it.

The cubes sound like a good idea. You may also want to order some powdered Butter as well. You can get it in the #10 cans. that would help too. Best wishes on your preperations.
I never knew that about brown rice. Glad I read that before buying a bunch more! Thanks! :thumb:

Now, for a question, what is considered white rice?

As far as flavorings, I use spices and vegetables and different oils for mine. Broth is good, but doesn't seem to last unless you get that salty stuff.

·
Poseur
221 Posts
Boullion cubes are basically salt with some flavorings. I can't imagine them ever "going bad". They may go a little off, but stored unopened I can't imagine anything growing in there that would make you ill.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Plus you'll be dissolving the cubes in boiling water. Should be ok. Rice, bullion, Frank's hot sauce, kraft macaroni & cheese, dehydrated mashed potatoes, beans (canned and dried) and rice a roni and pasta and cans of tomatoe puree all stored for six months plus in our home and rotated in regular food supply. Add flour, pancake mix, syrup, honey and you're more than 1/2 way there.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
The new issue of BWH (Back Woods Home) Magazine has a feature on making bouillon cubes and one on a fire wick starter. Great Magazine it follows the early Mother Earth (before you had to be rich to be self -reliant) and ASG

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
oy sauce is great. it keeps forever, and is a very nice marinade for steaks- made even better with some vinegar and a touch of sugar and garlic.

·
Krazy Kitty
5,007 Posts
Powdered butter

I have never heard of powdered butter. I was wondering about how to get butter. Where can I buy the powdered stuff?

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
and be careful because they have a lot of salt...you dont want major thirst after eating as you are going to be watching water...

I would suggest hitting the local bulk barn or whatever you call it in the states and buy bags of seasoning mixes...we have italian, indian, cajun, orential...about 50 different ones. A good size bag costs around $5 because keep in mind the spices are light. I then vacu-packed them in cup sized portions. I have enough spices to last me YEARS for about $30 cost and some time. Also check out this site:
http://busycooks.about.com/library/recipes/blspicemix.htm
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/13/
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/103/

Gives you recipes to make all your own blends. I also included a link for your own rubs and mariandes...hope it gives you some options.

·
Registered
431 Posts
My favorite lately has been Jasmine rice with canned black beans mixed in. I like the flavor mix. I was wondering what kind of fish would be good to mix in with the rice. My fish sauce is just too salty for the delicate flavor of the Jasmine rice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Raman packets

Strangely, I have amassed several (more than 30) of the "seasoning packets" that come in raman noodle packages; I can't seem to get rid of them...they last forever and I always throw one or two in my backpack when I will be in the woods or mountains for several days. Never actually "needed" them, but would make a nice hot soup if I ever ran out of other food.

I like Raman well enough but I really do like the seasoning used in other pasta such as Elbow macaroni. I wish they would sell just the seasoning packets. That would be great to and to my lot.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I have several pounds of rice stored and was wanting something cheap and easy to add to it, for flavoring. I decided beef and chicken boullion cubes would work great for making rice soup (after reading that same suggestion here on this site).

My question is, how long do the boullion cubes stay good for? I've never actually looked at the packaging before, so I don't know if they even have an expiration date. Thanks for any info you can give.
I've kept some for at least a few years without a problem. You can also just add the cubes to the water to flavor the rice directly. Makes far tastier rice that way... :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts