Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally bought some water storage jugs today at Walmart. (6 gallon Reliance, $7.88 each, btw) They had 7 on the shelf, and I bought every one of them. My cart was pretty much filled with water containers.

As I wheeled my cart to the checkout, I noticed that I got a few looks from other customers as they eyeballed my selected merchandise.

At the checkout, the 60ish lady behind me in line asked, "Do you know something I don't?" I just smiled and said something about camping....

The cashier also made a comment, something like "Is there something going on that you're not telling us?" I laughed it off and paid for my new containers....

Then the greeter/receipt checker says "Looks like you've cornered the market on water jugs!" I smiled and said "yep!"

So today I was the crazy guy at Walmart buying all their water containers.

Yep, crazy! :thumb:

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
lol reminds me of when i went to costco with a like minded friend and we bought all their flour (almost bottomed the van out lol) the cashier said wow that is a lot of flour there, you think it is running out or something, my friend looked like a deer in the headlights and without missing a beat i said i am making playdough for my neices and nephews and there are a lot of them...she then launched into how much she liked play dough as a kid....
never hurts to have a little preplanned story as to why you are buying a lot of one thing... a lot of water jugs you say...well those kids sure get thirsty at the play group ;)

·
I Love Guns
317 Posts
gd9704 i got a few of them also the other day and 6 ponchos and 6 emergency blankets lol....and a crap load of mountain house food ...i think all they had i got ....i love wally world...

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
My standard response is that 'we're remodeling the bathroom and that means shutting off the water for at least a day and a half and I refuse to be without water for washing dishes and the like'.

Like when I bought tons of oatmeal on sale really cheap: I have high cholestoral, really high, and this is the only way I can avoid taking drugs'.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i one bought all those 7gal jugs out of the camping section at walmart .. lol so ya i know all those funny looks .. my story was its for my saltwater aquarium ....

·
Endure-Adapt-Overcome
333 Posts
Every time I go to Wal-Mart I get the looks. I buy my 22lr ammo there and when I do I buy alot, the last time I got 5 bricks of 22lr, six box of #4 shot 12 ga and two of the Mega Packs of 9mm. Plus they had 3D Mag lights with the LED's marked down to $12.98 so I got all five of them. I get the looks every time I go, as far as the ammo I tell the guy in sporting goods I have cheep friends and I have to always buy them extra ammo so they don't run out at the range, and as far as the marked down stuff I tell them I'm a sucker for cheap stuff.
I remember two years ago when I bought all the cem-lights after Halloween I must of had a 100 of them, every person that walked by me looked.
I agree with preparedmama, it's good to have a preplanned story.

·
Watchful and Hopeful
122 Posts
Funny that I did the same thing a few months back. I had 2 water storage containers, ammo, otc meds, first aid stuff, bleach, iodine, witch hazel, betadine, mulitvitamines...you name it the buggy was full. Every one was staring at my cart and the cashier as if I was about to go into hibernation. I told her that my hunting lodge was low on supplies and was nominated to make the purchases for this coming season.

I remember thinking how innocent this seemed to me and how when I was a teen how buying a box of condoms, a six pack and a dozen roses all in the same purchases made me utterly self concious but didn't even raise an eyebrow. Funny what catches people's attention in the store.

·
just doin my job..
421 Posts
I've never gotten looks, never really bought all that much at once.

but earlier today I gave a couple of guys some looks.. I was at the real canadian wholesalers store earlier, and parked next to us was two big white vans and a big cube van. when we walked in I noticed a strange amount of foreign speaking people.. I think they came from a local church or something.. anyways they all had lists and were pushing individual carts.. musta bin 30 of them there all shopping and clearing the shelves..

if I was ever questioned I'd just tell them the truth.. chances are they aren't going to believe you anyways :)

I might say something about being a new owner of a pool, and that I had no clue which way to go about filling it:thumb:

·
Renegade Vegan
175 Posts
Hehe, reminds me of the last time I made a dry bean run to Wal-Mart. You get some odd looks and lots of questions when you have nothing but 60 pounds of dry beans in your cart.:D:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Folks, This is all just too funny! We Survivalist get the stares, but the welfare Mom who buys two buggies worth of the most unhealthy and perishable frozen crap on her EBT card doesn't even get a bat of an eye!

And no one ever thinks twice about the people in North Carolina who empty out the bread and milk sections at the merest whisper of the words "ice," "sleet," or "snow."

:confused: :upsidedown: :rolleyes: :mad: :D:

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
I remember thinking how innocent this seemed to me and how when I was a teen how buying a box of condoms, a six pack and a dozen roses all in the same purchases made me utterly self concious but didn't even raise an eyebrow. Funny what catches people's attention in the store.
Ha!
You ain't seen looks until your GF has you pick up an English cucumber a pint of plain yogurt and a box of Trojans up at the store on the way to her house.....there's a look magnet for ya boy.
:D:

However buying 200# of beans a rice and various cleaning supplies and flats of canned goods all at once gets some glances too.
I have been asked if I ran a restaurant.
I just say no that I am cooking for an American Legion BBQ.

One of the gals that works at the local Smart & Final is a friend of ours.....she and her Husband are preppers too.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
try a wig, balaclava, bag of bungee cords, quart of denatured alcohol and a pillow.
If they look at you sideways, just say "you know...for the aliens."
It IS Wal-Mart, after all...does it REALLY matter what the poor cashier making minimum thinks? And on that note, how much "questionable" chemicals and hardware could you buy at a 24 hr Wallyworld before the cashier said...waaaaait, that looks awful suspicious!
:p

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
Every time I go to Wal-Mart I get the looks. I buy my 22lr ammo there and when I do I buy alot, the last time I got 5 bricks of 22lr, six box of #4 shot 12 ga and two of the Mega Packs of 9mm. Plus they had 3D Mag lights with the LED's marked down to $12.98 so I got all five of them. I get the looks every time I go, as far as the ammo I tell the guy in sporting goods I have cheep friends and I have to always buy them extra ammo so they don't run out at the range, and as far as the marked down stuff I tell them I'm a sucker for cheap stuff.
I remember two years ago when I bought all the cem-lights after Halloween I must of had a 100 of them, every person that walked by me looked.
I agree with preparedmama, it's good to have a preplanned story.
For real fun and entertainment tell them you work at the post office looool

·
Endure-Adapt-Overcome
333 Posts
Porcupine I know what you mean, I was born and raised in Charlotte NC I've only been in CA for six years. I worked for Harris Teeter and would LOL when they said the word SNOW.......It was to funny.

And preparedmama that would be so funny......untill someone called the cops or the FBI.

I never care what people think, I know that down the road I will have the last laugh or look.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Talk about weird looks, when I was a letter carrier down in Garden City, Ga. I would stop at the local wally world on the way home and pick up a few bulk boxes of 22 and a case of 12 gauge for the weekend shoot...now a mailman in full uniform with gobs of ammo... Boy Did I Get the LOOKS!

·
HOPE4BEST&PREP4WORST
493 Posts
What people are usually thinking when the see someone with a large quantity of any product is "hmmm must be on sale" that is why the majority are starring they are trying to figure out if they could use some too and are wondering if you left any. LOL. I've had a few people ask me if my prep stuff was a sale item and I just say "well I think it was pretty cheap" and then I just grin. They usually walk off in search of the same item(S).

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
II just smiled and said something about camping...
Great answer. I'm blabbing on these survivor boards, but in my area I'm shutting up.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts