Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so we go once a week to a local place that has these "box"
auctions. You go in before it starts, there's table after table of 2x2
boxes with stuff in them. You mark down the number on the box
and then bid on it.

So, we bought these:

I know it's a torch. We got 6 of them for $6.00. Can they still be used or
should I clean them up like I intended and set them on the mantles? Will they
just explode? What do they burn? Any information would be appreciated.

We also got:

Again, I know it's a trap. We got 10 of them for $20. They're all the same
size (about 8 inches long). What needs to be done to use them? What needs
to be done to clean them up? They all work as far as I can tell...springing
shut when I hit the plate. What animals should I try to trap with these
since they're pretty small but I think would be too big for some things.
Again, info please.

Sorry I put this here if it's the wrong place.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here we go for the blow torch
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...channel=s&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&sa=N
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...channel=s&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&sa=N
As for the traps, I reserve the right to comment as I find these contraptions cruel and unless you are trapping for a living I wouldnt use them, buy a rifle and make a clean kill.
Thanks for the links! Any experience with the torches? I've never used them
nor seen them used.

Traps, yeah I should have mentioned I wouldn't use them until and unless
there's a SHTF situation and ammunition was limited. I can see them being
useful to set and trap instead of wasting ammo and as a time saver (less
time hunting, more time doing other things). But, in general no, not crazy
about traps.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
No never used the torches but they will fill a number of uses including stripping paint from metal and any task where you need to apply heat.

·
Registered
192 Posts
those are fox traps my friend i have some and have used them a lil bit... i dont like them because the animal can easily get free with a good chance of being wounded and wounded animals are bad news... they will attack anything trying to protect themselves because of their weakened state... as for trapping if you wanna get into it i suggest snares..... easier to set and more likely to keep your animal there till you can check it... plus you can get springloaded dispatch snares that are supposed to kill the animal as quickly as possible
Okay, so we go once a week to a local place that has these "box"
auctions. You go in before it starts, there's table after table of 2x2
boxes with stuff in them. You mark down the number on the box
and then bid on it.

So, we bought these:

I know it's a torch. We got 6 of them for $6.00. Can they still be used or
should I clean them up like I intended and set them on the mantles? Will they
just explode? What do they burn? Any information would be appreciated.

We also got:

Again, I know it's a trap. We got 10 of them for $20. They're all the same
size (about 8 inches long). What needs to be done to use them? What needs
to be done to clean them up? They all work as far as I can tell...springing
shut when I hit the plate. What animals should I try to trap with these
since they're pretty small but I think would be too big for some things.
Again, info please.

Sorry I put this here if it's the wrong place.

·
Mountain Critter
914 Posts
Again, I know it's a trap...What needs to be done to use them? What needs to be done to clean them up? They all work as far as I can tell...springing shut when I hit the plate. What animals should I try to trap with these since they're pretty small but I think would be too big for some things. Again, info please.
This site has a number of articles that should get you started on how to use/maintain the traps you found:

http://www.captaindaves.com/buckshot/

·
CHEERS :p
1,946 Posts
the traps are called or known as...leg hold traps, they are not intended to kill the animal but hold it, until the trapper ariives and kills it..they would be somewhat valuable as perimeter defense around your home or BOL in a SHTF situation.....sure they arent big enough to fit a full foot in but you only need to activate it to catch a toe :D

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
Gasoline blowtorch :) No I wouldn't use it, although my buddy has six or eight of them. They work, but NO thank you. Liter of gasoline under pressure with a flame on top, one leak and that sucker will shoot gasoline all over (with a flame on top) or explode at worst :)

This site helps him the most while rebuilding them, showpiece to play with? Yes, actual torch? Only for the brave !!

http://www.blotorches.com/

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmmmm Traps might equal security devices in a SHTF situation...would sure make a sneaky raider scream me thinks :)
Make sure he video tapes it in action and post it with a review on this site. :)

-Cade
Volunteers for the demo video can PM me :D:

Gasoline blowtorch :) No I wouldn't use it, although my buddy has six or eight of them. They work, but NO thank you. Liter of gasoline under pressure with a flame on top, one leak and that sucker will shoot gasoline all over (with a flame on top) or explode at worst :)

This site helps him the most while rebuilding them, showpiece to play with? Yes, actual torch? Only for the brave !!

http://www.blotorches.com/
Great link! Thanks

Maybe along with the traps I can use them when I get that 3AM knock
on the door. "I'll come with you but here, hold this for one second". :eek:

·
Registered
317 Posts
We had a couple of professional trappers come one night during my hunter safety course and they were avid supporters of leg hold traps over snares.

Both have been trapping for decades and believe that snares are inhumane. They cut into the animals neck and are slowly choke the animal.

The old leg hold traps like you posted a picture of (without the rubber padding) clamp shut but still allow bloodflow to the foot. I can't tell how long the chain is from the picture but possibly see if you can add a little more chain. The chain should be long enough that the animal can roll around and the trap will roll with them instead of them being able to twist out.

If you look around on google there should be guides for how to set these traps. You usually put out bait then put the trap back and to the left/right so that the trap is approximately where the animal's foot will be when their nose is in the bait.

You'll have to change the trap position depending on what you are planning to catch, i.e. foxes are smaller than coyotes so you would put the trap in closer (closer to the bait and closer to the center since they are not as wide) if you were going for fox than if you were going for coyote.

·
Registered
115 Posts
What's the number on the pan of the trap? From the picture and your discription I would guess a #1. Only big enough for muskrats. I run a pretty long line in Ohio , and use leg holds very effectively and humanely. I mostly use them for water trapping and use a drowning rig to dispatch a catch. Pretty much a wire staked at the bank and anchored in deeper water. The chain has a one way slide on the end of it. When a **** or rat steps in the trap he will almost always retreat to water. The trap slides down the wire and the weight of the trap quickly drowns him.

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
here we go for the blow torch
As for the traps, I reserve the right to comment as I find these contraptions cruel and unless you are trapping for a living I wouldnt use them, buy a rifle and make a clean kill.
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: I so agree! Very cruel. And unless you get to the animal right after it is caught, most will chew their own paw off to set themselves free. Awful!

·
Mountain Critter
914 Posts
Actually, to change the subject slightly this is what you need.

Well, yes, ideally. And to address the concern of several previous posters, they could, I suppose, be considered more humane than leghold traps…usually.

Really though, how often have you found them at auctions…? :cool:

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
My brothers used them type traps to trap raccoons. put a piece of apple or something on the round piece. They used to sell them to make extra money. Only trouble they ever had was the raccoons would chew thru their leg and escape.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What's the number on the pan of the trap? From the picture and your discription I would guess a #1. Only big enough for muskrats. I run a pretty long line in Ohio , and use leg holds very effectively and humanely. I mostly use them for water trapping and use a drowning rig to dispatch a catch. Pretty much a wire staked at the bank and anchored in deeper water. The chain has a one way slide on the end of it. When a **** or rat steps in the trap he will almost always retreat to water. The trap slides down the wire and the weight of the trap quickly drowns him.
There's some writing on the pan but I haven't seen a number on there yet.
They all really need to be cleaned up first. All of them have like wire of
some type on the pans (like maybe someone wired on bait or something).
There are lots of muskrats around so this might be just what they were
used for...although my neighbor mentioned people using them for normal
rats in their barns too. I'll see if I can't find a number after I get a wire
brush on them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts