Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
921 - 940 of 991 Posts

·
read more, post less
692 Posts
Yeah I am aware, AZ is way more than desert. The part we would be moving to is desert for sure.
But I have been to Sedona and Flagstaff both beautiful and not what people think of when it comes to AZ.
Yeah, but let's just keep that to ourselves, shall we? hehe.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yeah, but let's just keep that to ourselves, shall we? hehe.
Haha you got it! Arizona sucks ! Too hot , too dry, snakes everywhere, thats what I will tell everybody haha

·
Registered
463 Posts
I lived in the valley from 71 to 77. My immediate superior at work had his mom from back east convinced that the Indians were still on the warpath in Phx! 🤯

·
read more, post less
692 Posts
Haha you got it! Arizona sucks ! Too hot , too dry, snakes everywhere, thats what I will tell everybody haha
In all actuality, Sierra Vista isn't all that bad. Maybe more high desert, reports have it at least 10° cooler than Phoenix if not more. Some consider it the best climate in AZ.

·
Registered
13,575 Posts
In all actuality, Sierra Vista isn't all that bad. Maybe more high desert, reports have it at least 10° cooler than Phoenix if not more. Some consider it the best climate in AZ.
Prescott Valley isn't bad. Main difference between here and Sierra Vista is the wind blows almost constantly.

Reactions: teddyearp

·
Registered
209 Posts
Prescott Valley isn't bad. Main difference between here and Sierra Vista is the wind blows almost constantly.
In sierra vista?
We are military so we are moving to ft.Huachuaca first then looking around for acreage and a house.
We are very conservative and like to live very isolated.
Any towns near the base you would recommend to look at property?

·
Registered
13,575 Posts
No....in Prescott Valley.

Sierra Vista is fine. I like it down there. Just be cognizant your proximity to the border. Once upon a time illegals were stopped on post.

·
Registered
209 Posts
No....in Prescott Valley.

Sierra Vista is fine. I like it down there. Just be cognizant your proximity to the border. Once upon a time illegals were stopped on post.
Yeah that is the only thing that bothers me but we live in TX and kinda close to the border so we already have alot of illegal immigrant problems. I was thinking of looking 45 minutes to an hour north of the base to get further from the border.

·
Registered
13,575 Posts
Better look at the maps then. 45 minutes to an hour north puts you well above Benson and the I-10 area:

·
Registered
209 Posts
I saw that, never been to Benson, I know I did not like Tucson very much so won't be going that direction.
I just looked at where you are thats out there with those huge pine trees like flagstaff right? Doesn't it snow there?

·
Registered
13,575 Posts
We get snow in Prescott and Prescott Valley. Rarely does it get over a few inches. rarely does it stay for more than a few days. If I have to have illegals going through my property, I prefer it be the deer and the pronghorn.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Looks to me from looking at the map that sierra vista is pretty isolates which I like. There are a few small towns I have seen like whetstone a Huachuca city they look like very small towns which we like. Any of you guys have experience with the small towns around the base?

·
Registered
13,575 Posts
Looks to me from looking at the map that sierra vista is pretty isolates which I like. There are a few small towns I have seen like whetstone a Huachuca city they look like very small towns which we like. Any of you guys have experience with the small towns around the base?
All of the little towns down there are good to go. Lot of old family homesteads down there; ranchers who go way back. Benson, St. David, Huachuca City, all fine.

Avoid Bisbee.....used to be a hard core conservative mining town. Until the copper mine cut back then shut down. Liberals and pot smokers (kinda synonymous) have moved in. It is Southern Arizona'a liberal Mecca followed closely by Douglas which I don't get because there is a lot of old families there as well.

Reactions: teddyearp

·
Registered
209 Posts
All of the little towns down there are good to go. Lot of old family homesteads down there; ranchers who go way back. Benson, St. David, Huachuca City, all fine.

Avoid Bisbee.....used to be a hard core conservative mining town. Until the copper mine cut back then shut down. Liberals and pot smokers (kinda synonymous) have moved in. It is Southern Arizona'a liberal Mecca followed closely by Douglas which I don't get because there is a lot of old families there as well.
Nice that is the exact info I was looking for. I lived in Austin and got my fill of liberal policies and people Never again.

·
read more, post less
692 Posts
Had to drive to Show Low today and saw the hundreds of acres of wild sunflowers along hwy 60. Sometimes it was yellow as far as you could see.
I stumbled across Jerusalem artichokes the other day, I wonder if these are those?

·
read more, post less
692 Posts
Well, we're a long ways from St. Johns, lol. But Senoita isn't bad. Nice hill country to the north and west. Tombstone has cheap land nearby, pun intended. Go straight out the road from Sierra Vista to Tombstone and there's a fair piece of ghost town remains along the way. As for mountains and pine trees, do not miss the Chiricahua's. Lot's of old west history down that way.

·
Registered
13,575 Posts
+1 for Sonoita and Tombstone as well. I also liked Patagonia.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well, we're a long ways from St. Johns, lol. But Senoita isn't bad. Nice hill country to the north and west. Tombstone has cheap land nearby, pun intended. Go straight out the road from Sierra Vista to Tombstone and there's a fair piece of ghost town remains along the way. As for mountains and pine trees, do not miss the Chiricahua's. Lot's of old west history down that way.
Yeah I have been to tombstone I freaking loved it.
Probably my favorite movie too go figure lol
That may be where we buy property I like living as far out as I can.

921 - 940 of 991 Posts