Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
901 - 920 of 991 Posts

·
Ingloriously Deplorable
2,662 Posts
"Down the road". LOL.

Depends on if you're talkin' country directions or "citified". haha
"just down the road" could mean thirty miles or....a mile or less if you're talking city. Then again, "Up the road a'piece" takes on a whole new meaning....in Montana.

Then you have "blocks" "Next block up/north/sout' " in Phoenix generally means a mile. To someone from say, New Yawk City, "the next block" means those feeder streets in between the laterals..generally spaced at tenth mile intervals. More or less, kinda-sorta. Then ya got them places that didn't use a grid system and used the "european" system where they dumped a plate of noodles on the floor and started naming streets LOL.

·
Semper Fi
10,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #902 · (Edited)
Well it looks like the wife and I are over the "Covid"(?).

Due to everything that happened she is finally getting her first official physical therapy session this Friday to work on her stroke issues. Though I have been working with her since it happened here at home. I bought an exercise bike and several of the therapy tools they were using in the hospital and have been making her use them. Along with dexterity drills such as flipping over a bunch of dimes and then getting them into a piggy bank.

Now that it is finally under control, she is also having to get used to having such a low (for her) blood pressure.

Just when it seems things have calmed down, now I have to head to Show Low tomorrow to meet with Social Security. Apparently at nearly 62 years old they are just now letting me know there is an issue with my place of birth. According to the clerk I spoke with on the phone, way back in the day they screwed up the city (but got the state right) the first time and then when that was corrected they got the city right but entered the wrong state (LA instead of CA).

·
read more, post less
692 Posts
Glad you two are feeling better. Damn .gov anyway. Good luck with that. I so want to retire next year, but just didn't plan well enough and won't really have enough $$ to do so. I mean, I could, but I don't want to be that broke.

·
Semper Fi
10,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #904 ·
Well other than having to go see them, the experience with the Social Security office in Show Low was pretty easy and painless. Both the person I spoke with on the phone as well as the person in the office were pleasant to deal with and seemed to know what they were doing.

I will find out if I corrected the problem come Oct and I get my first deposit or not.

·
Semper Fi
10,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #905 ·
Temps hit the mid-90s out here today but there is a storm moving through the area now and it cooled down nicely. Lots of thunder and clouds around us but just sprinkles at the house until now when the rain finally made it here.

After Shin's initial evaluation and some testing today, the physical therapist expressed confidence that they could help her a lot. We will have to see though.

·
read more, post less
692 Posts
While at work yesterday, a sudden nearby thunderclap caught all of us off guard. The sky was pretty much clear except for this one small whisp of a cloud right over head. Next thing you know it was mass rain and hail and severe thunderstorm warnings on the various weather apps I have on my phone. Yet, when trying to view the radar on those apps, there wasn't much to be seen. Just one of those popup flukes, I guess.

·
Semper Fi
10,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #907 ·
There must have been some good rain somewhere to the south of me this morning, as my wash was running a bit for a while earlier today.

Reactions: hiwall1

·
Registered
567 Posts
There must have been some good rain somewhere to the south of me this morning, as my wash was running a bit for a while earlier today.
I can say it was not this far south. We got nothing.

It is amazing how much and how fast plants are growing now. My fields are knee-high with new growth and it is thick. You cannot see the ground anywhere when out walking. If, or I should say when, it all dries up, it will be a major fire hazard.

·
Semper Fi
10,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #909 ·
When the rancher moves his cattle back to my area for grazing it will take care of the excess vegetation here.

·
read more, post less
692 Posts
Sounds like hiwall needs to find them cows again. Or get some friendly elks. Of course, the elk will be in his yard and close to town during hunting season.

·
Registered
13,575 Posts
Spent a week on the Jersey shore and now in PHX for a few days. Only difference between the two is more trees there. Hot and humid. Was 96 when I left. eff me........

Reactions: teddyearp

·
Registered
567 Posts
Had a very hard rain yesterday that lasted about 45 minutes but dumped about 1-1/2".
A lot of water gushed down the hills just behind us. And I mean a lot. It flattened all the grass and weeds in its path. Had another slow 1/2" this evening.

·
read more, post less
692 Posts
Last night, the wind started to really blow as the storm came in. Not usual, so I thought we were in for a real humdinger. Had lightning real close, probably an eighth or even a tenth of a mile.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Just want to point out that for the last while in this thread the pictures are from the central-eastern portion of the state.
Yeah I am aware, AZ is way more than desert. The part we would be moving to is desert for sure.
But I have been to Sedona and Flagstaff both beautiful and not what people think of when it comes to AZ.

901 - 920 of 991 Posts