Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my first grain mill today! It wasn't the one I've had my eye on (which is $350 and not what I want to spend on a grain mill right now...) but I think this beauty will do nicely.

I love making delicious homemade bread and have wanted to really take care of each step by myself, from seed to table. Granted, the growing of wheat isn't something I'll be able to do right now, but I think after a trip to the LDS cannery for wheat, I'll be right on track.

One step in my preparedness journey is to store plenty of grains but it won't do much good if I store grain now but don't buy the grain mill for a year or two and then the SHTF and I don't have a mill.

Anyone used the Weston Multi-grain and Cereal Mill?

·
Stargazer Extraordinaire
1,061 Posts
I too am mill shopping but don't have funds I can spare for the CLM. The reports I've read on the Weston is that it's great for making meal but not for fine flour. I'm leaning way towards the Wondermill Jr, at about 2 Benjis. It needs a separate (and pricey) auger for larger grains and that's not cool. A Weston is less than half the cost of the auger. Let us know how it works.

Rick

·
Registered
183 Posts
I bought the wondermill jr deluxe about a month ago. It came with stones and burrs.. I'm happy with it, though I've only run a bit of popcorn through it thus far the cornbread we made from that turned out really good, and was purple since we used black popcorn!

Considering the dramatic cost savings of the wondermill over the country living mill, I think it's probably the wise choice. It's built like a tank (just like the country living is), and if you really want the belt wheel the country living mill comes with you can get one as an accessory.

Wondermill has the table/counter clamp too whereas the country living mill has to be bolted down as far as I know. For my money, I'd say it's really the best option out there.

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
you can get a grindstone kit from Retsel that will fit your weston mill and make fine flour. Be warned you'll need some serious arm power to turn that handle though.

·
Banned
6,236 Posts
I picked up my first grain mill today! It wasn't the one I've had my eye on (which is $350 and not what I want to spend on a grain mill right now...) but I think this beauty will do nicely.

I love making delicious homemade bread and have wanted to really take care of each step by myself, from seed to table. Granted, the growing of wheat isn't something I'll be able to do right now, but I think after a trip to the LDS cannery for wheat, I'll be right on track.

One step in my preparedness journey is to store plenty of grains but it won't do much good if I store grain now but don't buy the grain mill for a year or two and then the SHTF and I don't have a mill.

Anyone used the Weston Multi-grain and Cereal Mill?
Isn't it wonderful to have a fresh Hot loaf of bread and some fresh made butter and honey.. I don't want anything else. except maybe a Glass of Sweet Tea.

·
Registered
30 Posts
one of my first big investments was a Wonder mill junior, takes a bit of work but can grind about 6 cups of flou in about 30 minutes. It is very well made, durable and the breads you make from fresh ground are unbeatable

1 - 10 of 10 Posts