Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am preparing my new garden and orchard area, and I decided I needed some equipment to help fetch and carry. I use my honda rancher ATV most of the time, but it only carries so much. Plus, after a crisis it might not be easy to purchase unlead gasoline.

So I started searching for garden carts that I can tow behind an ATV, especially those that have a dump feature, and I could also handle by hand. I noticed a few at the home and garden store, but the selection online is larger.

I ended up buying a 10 cu ft Gorilla cart, https://gorillacarts.com/product/gor10-com/

It looks like a massively supersized childs wagon, with a plastic dump bed thats 4ft x 3ft x 12in high, and running gear speced for 1,500 lbs. The steering arm has a large round pull ring, and it can be flipped 180 degrees to reveal a tractor hitch.

I have been using it haul compost and firewood for a couple weeks now. The dump feature is priceless.

The only problem is the large bed temps you to over fill it, and trying to handle over 200 lbs by hand is dangerous. I learned the same thing using my deer cart to haul loads on steep hiking trails. I can only control my own body wt on steep ground.

My next step us to install a hitch on my ATV.

Attachments

·
Beware of the dog!
1,939 Posts
It would hold enough for one person to pull and still be somewhat easy to roll on unpaved roads and trails. Just because it holds 1500 pounds doesn't mean you have to fill it up.
Great trailer. I am impressed.

One thing to consider, are the tires durable enough to run over normal sharp stones or broken glass without puncture? Our old garden trailer had cheap, thin tires that were meant for use on a well maintained lawn or a paved driveway. They didn't last a full day here in my yard in Utah. They both gave out due to goat head burs, also called sand spurs. Goat heads have a few super dang sharp points that will ruin wagon tires, bicycle tires, fingers and feet almost instantly. I had to buy 2 new good quality tires with plenty of tread depth to make my trailer more reliable.

Reactions: n1d

·
I have control issues
5,981 Posts
Those Gorilla carts are great. I have one that was given to us - a friend does work doing reno work, and ends up with things that the previous owners left behind that he would otherwise need to pay to dispose of. The Gorilla cart was one of those things. The ONLY thing wrong with it was that the tires were flat! A little time with the compressor, and the tires were good to go. Using "slime" helps keep the mesquite and other thorny things from flattening the tires.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I am preparing my new garden and orchard area, and I decided I needed some equipment to help fetch and carry. I use my honda rancher ATV most of the time, but it only carries so much. Plus, after a crisis it might not be easy to purchase unlead gasoline.

So I started searching for garden carts that I can tow behind an ATV, especially those that have a dump feature, and I could also handle by hand. I noticed a few at the home and garden store, but the selection online is larger.

I ended up buying a 10 cu ft Gorilla cart, https://gorillacarts.com/product/gor10-com/

It looks like a massively supersized childs wagon, with a plastic dump bed thats 4ft x 3ft x 12in high, and running gear speced for 1,500 lbs. The steering arm has a large round pull ring, and it can be flipped 180 degrees to reveal a tractor hitch.

I have been using it haul compost and firewood for a couple weeks now. The dump feature is priceless.

The only problem is the large bed temps you to over fill it, and trying to handle over 200 lbs by hand is dangerous. I learned the same thing using my deer cart to haul loads on steep hiking trails. I can only control my own body wt on steep ground.

My next step us to install a hitch on my ATV.
Was it too big for UPS delivery?

·
Registered
937 Posts
i got a 600# gorilla cart, because I can't imagine the point of a 1500# cart.

I have (purposely) abused it and it's been great! It's my 4th cart of different manufacturers and the only one I'd buy again.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I thought I’d speak to the tire sealant comments!

Slime in my experience breaks down after a year or so into a useless nasty mess!

I use Bulletproof-Grade Ultraseal™ Tire Sealant https://gemplers.com/products/gempl...MI4LmHg7eF5wIViYVaBR3FhAGWEAQYASABEgLBMfD_BwE which doesn’t freeze or breakdown over the life of the tire. They make several versions of this now, but this is the one I’ve had in most of my smaller equipment tires for 12-15 years now!

I’ve installed a road trailer tire on a couple of my wheelbarrows, they are much more durable and sun resistant, but notably heavier when handling the wheelbarrow until it’s well loaded. They can also be pumped to a much higher pressure and loaded way heavier if you want!

SD

1 - 15 of 15 Posts