Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
See you in my Scope
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 2 radios today.

one is a emergency radio from ETON. It is oneof the simple American Red Cross radios with weather/AM/FM. It also has weather alert function. It is solar powered, has a hand crank and can charge my cell phone and FRS radio using USB and the hand crank.
Electronics Electronic device Technology Radio

I turned on the Alert function as soon as I unpacked it and set it up in the window to charge. 5 minutes later the weather alert went off. If was a test they run on Wed. Cool. Works good, multi power.

The Second radio I got I paid a little more for.

Grundig G3 Global Traveler
Electronic device Technology Communication Device Electronic instrument Radio

Tunes pretty much the entire HF band Am/FM and Aircraft too. Pretty cool. This one is for the BOB. Watch for that video this weekend.

·
See you in my Scope
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet.. That's something I have on my got to get list..
I am huge on having commo. Knowing what is happening around you and the rest of the world is a big deal. In the event of a hostile takeover scenario (post dollar tanking), we would need solid commo to organize as well.

My $.02

·
See you in my Scope
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good choice. I'm looking to get one and I am pretty much narrowed down to the one the Red Cross puts out. It's not very expensive, but it looks like it is built to last.
Only the top of the line red cross radio has Shortwave. Spend $30 dollars more and get the grundig.

I bought the Red Cross radio at home depot. It was miss marked for 24.95 so i took it to the counter and it rung up $24.95 so i took it home. That one in normally 49.95.

Eton and Grundig are the same company. Don;t spend the money for all the red paint on the Red Cross radio. Get the quality and a solar AA charger. The Grundig G3 is a very very very sensitive radio. You notice right away when you here FM stations you never knew where there.

·
See you in my Scope
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, just did a little test here.

Grundig vs Eton (same company... LOL)

On the stations that I knew would really test these radios:

They both picked up the stations.
You could easily hear what was being said and understand.

Differences:
Grundig was a solid signal without any popping or noise.
Grundig speaker was better by far.

Eton was struggling a little on the stations
Speaker was very tinny.

All this being said, I paid $24.95 for the Eton and I paid $124.99 for the Grundig. There better be a big damn difference.

I think the Eton would do very well as an emergency radio with weather alert. The AM/FM capability seems to be fine. The Alert works. Good radio for home especially in the tornado belt.

The grundig in my opinion is a better Bug Out Radio. It will allow you to listen to radio traffic worldwide. Both regular radio stations and Ham radio will easily be handled with the Grundig. Big feature I forgot to mention is the the gundig has Single side band capability. That is huge when listening to news from ham radio operators who almost always use SSB.

I bought both for those two purposes.

·
Deplorable bitter clinger
964 Posts
For what it's worth: Last year I purchased a Grundig 4000A to be an every day house radio. When purchased online from a certain radio specialty retailer, they offered an Eton FR350 free.

Both are AM/FM/SW and I can pick up the Yankees games from 880 AM in Manhattan, approximately 120 miles away, on both radios, without a larger coil AM antenna (which I have, but did not connect). I live in Western Massachusetts on the MA/CT border.

I am very impressed with the FR350 from Eton. I has a hand crank and came with all of the parts needed to charge various cell phones from the radio's hand crank. It even has a bright flashlight and a siren. It came with a storage bag and an AC adapter as well. I tend to use it more than the 4000A, as I can carry it with me through the yard as I do my yard work.

·
Registered
254 Posts
That looks like an Eaton FR360, I have the same one and like it quite a bit. I get great reception in my basement with it which I didn't with the Kaito Voyager so they went back.

Since I have picked up (this week actually) an Eaton FR600, it's not holding a charge and the knobs on the side are pretty lose so it's going to go back to REI for a replacement this week hopefully. If the next one seems good to go I'm going to order an AC adapter for it as I think they're pretty decent radios for the money. Could they be better? Absolutely but oh well.

Anyway, I've been on a quest this week for radios because of the bad weather and have been looking for ones that have NOAA channels as well as the 'alert'. I've read great things about the CCrane's so I ordered a CCRadio-2 and look forward to it as it has great features. I'm thinking I will use that to replace my alarm clock. In addition I picked up one of their crank radios the CC Observer because they've gotten decent reviews.

OP, read around on the forums here about the Eaton, you will find out a lot if you haven't already. From what I've read the charging feature is pretty useless in that you can only charge devices by cranking the dynamo and it takes cranking for hours to get anywhere near a charge. I've also read where the solar has taken days for a full charge if it's charged at all.

Eaton recommends that the solar is in direct sunlight, no windows so who knows there.

Regardless, I like that I can plan an iPod through them and like the digital display. Again, I haven't used mine a lot but I have been quite happy with it.

Enjoy yours and I look forward to your video.

·
See you in my Scope
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tested the Grundig up against my Kenwood TS-430s Ham radio with a G5RV antenna. I was questioning my hearing here!!!!!
All I can say is Holy Cow!!! I am hearing people in Kansas on 20m with just the telescopic whip antenna. I could also barely make out a guy in Lithuania too.

Definate good BOB radio!!!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
NYC Earthquake

I have owned an Eton FR-250 for at least 5 years. it has a handcrank. it has sat for several years in my bugout bag. so the first time i need it, IT DOESN"T WORK! I felt my building shaking when the earthquake hit and I immediately grabbed my BOB, jumped on my motorcycle and headed out of manhattan. when i got to NJ, i took the radio out to tune into the local news and find out what was happening. NOTHING on it worked. i brought it home and tried it again, this time with batteries....nothing. i messed with the dynamo/handcrank some more only for it to break. these things are made like total garbage.

i called eton today and after waiting on hold for 15 mins, was told to call back later and talk to the manager walt hess. he refused to replace the radio and was completely useless. to top it off i had to wait on hold at least 20 mins to talk to him.

i cannot stress enough how crappy these eton radios are.

can anyone recommend a real, solid hand cranked radio???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts