Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
I think if you can afford the gas, it's a great idea! In fact i'm jealous. I was thinking of getting an old horse trailer, they are pretty cheap I think.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts

·
A friend of the Site
1,966 Posts
It is ok as long as your single or have a wife, if you got kids it would not work.

Neat plans Wulf

·
Prophet
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea. i like the airstream, but the cost of fuel to pull it would be prohibitive.
thats why i like the small teardrops. they are VERY light... about 1000Lbs.
i could pull it with almost anything, and the cost of fuel would be a lot less.

thanks for the links, BTW.

i would build a teardrop, but at this time, i don't have a place to build one.

peace
al

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Man I wish mine was that big...I am stuck with a 22 ft Coachman 5th Wheel. It works though but a little more room would be nice even if it wasnt as easy to pull.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
yea. i like the airstream, but the cost of fuel to pull it would be prohibitive.
thats why i like the small teardrops. they are VERY light... about 1000Lbs.
i could pull it with almost anything, and the cost of fuel would be a lot less.

thanks for the links, BTW.

i would build a teardrop, but at this time, i don't have a place to build one.

peace
al
One option you could consider is renting a self storage unit and build it there. One of the guys on the teardrop forums did that because he was an apartment dweller. You get the trailer base as a kit from Harbor Freight
and have a local woodshop cut the side templates for you. Then all you have to do is skin it and insulate if you wish. Then slap the rest together, if you schedule correctly it shouldn't take more than 3-4 weekends to put it together.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think teardrops are neat. But, they are pricey for the space you get. If you have an SUV or truck, an enclosed or travel trailer makes a lot more sense as a BOV.

·
Registered
366 Posts
bug out trailer in any size or shape so long as it can get to your survivalist destination(asuming you have one) but the bug out bag is first priority. i would keep that close as much as posible.

although personally i prefer the bug out RV lol

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have been wanting to build a school bus camper for years. My family has outgrown all of my little trailers. There is also several brands of pop up campers made to be pullled with a motorcycle if you have a small car.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
those tear drops just dont have enough room for everything i would be bringing. that why ill just do like alot of others around here do you get a large flat bed trailer and put a camper that fits in the back of a truck on it and since there is alot of room left over you build side panels on both sides,and storage bins in the front under the sleeping area you can haul ALOT in one of those

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Check for used trailers on craigs list. I have seen used airstreams for under $1000. They need the interior redone but the shell and rolling hardware are all good. Then again buy a new one on credit and disappear with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Trailers would be god but you have to take into consideration the fuel econ. If you drive a half tank from your home to retreat then you will only have a half tank to get home. If you go anywhere else to get other supplies or to hunt or get a sitrep then you will be hosed. Now if you drive with this your distance from the danger area is reduced.

Just my .02

·
Banned
455 Posts
When I hear, or mention, BOT,....I'm thinking an enclosed 5X8 (or similar) trailer, loaded with bulk items and pretty much all of my gear. I keep one in the event evacuation on short notice is necessary. Does anyone else do this?

·
Cover your Six!!
450 Posts
My Trailer has evolved over the past year. I have an 7' x 13' enclosed trailer that I converted to a Toy Hauler, and used to haul my Giant Scale R/C planes with it. The cool thing is that it looks like a construction or landscape trailer.

I completely insulated and paneled the interior. It has a portable quiet generator, MW oven, A/C, and Solar Array to charge 12 volt system. 2000 watt inverter and two 12v AGM batteries(powers small flat screen TV,DVD, and some low level lights for 4-6 hours). It also has bunk beds. It doesn't have a bathroom, running water, or a shower, but I have a shower/bathroom tent, camp toilet, camp cooking gear,..... always loaded and ready to go. Other gear includes folding tables, gazebo tent, two spare tires, chairs, and tools.

Now that I have a new hobby ;), Its now my B.O.T. (Bug Out Trailer) It still has all of the above, but I have made room one 55 gal water drum, or two,... more capacity for food and supplies. All camping gear and non perishable supplies are on board already.

I would rather Bug-In, but when the 'Radar' says the trouble is around the corner, All I have to do is fill up the water drums, load up food supplies, hitch up to the B.O.T. and head out............. oh I will have to grab the B.O.B.s and my family and get them in the Truck too. :upsidedown:

·
Banned
455 Posts
My Trailer has evolved over the past year. I have an 7' x 13' enclosed trailer that I converted to a Toy Hauler, and used to haul my Giant Scale R/C planes with it. The cool thing is that it looks like a construction or landscape trailer.

I completely insulated and paneled the interior. It has a portable quiet generator, MW oven, A/C, and Solar Array to charge 12 volt system. 2000 watt inverter and two 12v AGM batteries(powers small flat screen TV,DVD, and some low level lights for 4-6 hours). It also has bunk beds. It doesn't have a bathroom, running water, or a shower, but I have a shower/bathroom tent, camp toilet, camp cooking gear,..... always loaded and ready to go. Other gear includes folding tables, gazebo tent, two spare tires, chairs, and tools.

Now that I have a new hobby ;), Its now my B.O.T. (Bug Out Trailer) It still has all of the above, but I have made room one 55 gal water drum, or two,... more capacity for food and supplies. All camping gear and non perishable supplies are on board already.

I would rather Bug-In, but when the 'Radar' says the trouble is around the corner, All I have to do is fill up the water drums, load up food supplies, hitch up to the B.O.T. and head out............. oh I will have to grab the B.O.B.s and my family and get them in the Truck too. :upsidedown:
Nice! That's about what I've got. More food and water, but none of the solar panels, etc,.....yet. I keep mine for the same reason. All of my bulk items (water, rice, beans, freeze-dried, etc) camping gear, cookers, water filtration,...etc, etc, etc, is preloaded. Attach to the 4WD SUV, kids and some items in the SUV itself,....and roll-out. Intend to bug-in also. if it gets bad enough to leave - I'll be prepared to say by to the house forever.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts