Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I am hooked on Boudin and struggling like everything to make a recipe that I can live with.

Please help me.

I have this one, let me know if you have experience that will work better:

2 3/4 pounds pork butt, cut into chunks
1 pound pork liver, cut into pieces
2 quarts spring water
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped bell peppers
1/2 cup chopped celery
5 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
2 teaspoons cayenne
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
1 cup minced parsley
1 1/4 cup chopped green onions
6 cups medium-grain rice (cooked) --- I used 3 cups of brown rice and it was awesome too!
Put the pork, liver, water, onions, bell peppers, celery, 1 teaspoon of the salt, 1/4 teaspoon of the cayenne, and 1/4 teaspoon of the black pepper in a large heavy pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 2 hours. Drain and reserve 2 cups of the broth.

Grind the pork and liver together with 1/2 of the parsley and 1/2 of the green onions in a meat grinder fitted with a 1/4-inch die. Add the rice, and the remaining salt, cayenne, black pepper, parsley, and green onions and mix well. Add the broth, slowly, and mix. Stuff the mixture into sausage casings or otherwise utilize the mixture. If stuffed into casing it should be heated in a steamer or rice cooker. Heat in oven or on the grill for a crisp casing. Serve warm. Freeze leftovers.

THANK YOU,
Cool Hand

·
Logic is my Super Power
1,057 Posts
That looks like a good recipe. You might also want to check out Andouille sausage. It's a harder packed sausage without the rice. It's spicy but if you like Boudin then that shouldn't be a problem. Boudin is great but you have to freeze it or it will not keep. Andouille is a smoked sausage with lots of fat but keeps pretty well in a good smoke house.

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mods, thanks for putting this in the right place. All these years and I had no idea we had a recipe section.

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That looks like a good recipe. You might also want to check out Andouille sausage. It's a harder packed sausage without the rice. It's spicy but if you like Boudin then that shouldn't be a problem. Boudin is great but you have to freeze it or it will not keep. Andouille is a smoked sausage with lots of fat but keeps pretty well in a good smoke house.
I already make a decent andouille. Just doesn't have the same kick ass flavor that boudin has. Good point on the long term storage, though no boudin is going to last long enough to go rancid here.

Reactions: sagewillow

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now I know why I never knew we had a recipe section. This is where recipe posts go to die.

·
Peas and Carrots!
36,851 Posts
It's not that recipe threads go here to die, but more that your cooking skills are far advanced of many peoples.

I borrowed your recipe and as soon as hog hunting comes around I will be trying it out. I just had nothing to offer you as an improvement on the recipe.

·
Logic is my Super Power
1,057 Posts
Unfortunately, I am the only lover of rice based sausage in my house. The hubby doesn't like boiling sausage and he says it explodes into dirty rice any other way you cook it so why not just make dirty rice??? haha. I love that man. Any way, good luck with your endeavors. I think Louisiana has the best sausage in the world. Germany can suck it. Just kidding, Germany. We love you, too.

·
Logic is my Super Power
1,057 Posts
Yep, Koko, what gave it away? I know, it was the accent, wasn't it? haha.

·
TEXAS!!!
7,261 Posts
You can probably find good recipes on YouTube, However, Even though I've never made it, I know how to eat it! Removed from the casing and mixed into eggs over easy, or sunny side up!

I think God eats this for breakfast!

:)YUM!

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey, never thought of making it without the cases. Would it change the basic flavor at all? I am making about 12 pounds of the boudin mix and it would save me quite a bit of trouble to not put it in the cases. I will if that is what it takes to get the right flavor.

Just don't want to screw up that much meat.

Thanks for the input.

·
Peas and Carrots!
36,851 Posts
The casing with sausage that you freeze is just to hold the shape. I freeze sausage a lot without putting it in casings because I have the freezer space and am bad to peel it out of the casing for cooking anyway. It will be a loose type sausage then. I've never known it to affect the taste in any sausages I've made.

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SO, time for lessons learned

Anytime I do anything like this I try to post a lessons learned. I made this with the wild boar I shot in August AND I used the belly meat and not just loin/ham/butt cuts. It came out FANTASTIC (many thanks the Mels for clueing me in on not stuffing into the casing). So here goes:

- The recipe above calls for too much rice, I halved it an got great results
- also, I used brown rice with no negative results
- The belly meat monkeyed with the grinder, will use better cuts just to save time but it came out really good flavor wise
- Once you do it once, it will go much faster the second time, but it is a lot of work the first time you do it.

Well worth it if someone is interested in trying something new though. The picture is of a bowl that is 3 feet across and I use for mixing. Its actually a good bit of sausage.

Cool Hand

Attachments

Reactions: Weft

·
Peas and Carrots!
36,851 Posts
Cool Hand, that looks wonderful!
Thanks for sharing with us.

I adjusted the recipe I filched from you for the lower amount of rice. :)

When you get time, could you edit the recipe post and on the rice line perhaps put something like - (I used 3 cups and it turned out great.)

Sometimes when others come to grab a recipe, they may not read all of the thread. :)

Thanks again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts