Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found this on a site posted here. I am thinking specificly Sugar and Salt, that have high moisture contents, and maybe putting them in the oven on 200 for a few hours. Silica may be essential safety backup gear.

http://providentliving.org/content/display/0,11666,7532-1-4063-1,00.html

Warning: Botulism poisoning may result if moist products are stored in packaging that reduces oxygen. When stored in airtight containers with oxygen absorbers, products must be dry (about 10% or less moisture content).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
Just found this on a site posted here. I am thinking specificly Sugar and Salt, that have high moisture contents, and maybe putting them in the oven on 200 for a few hours. Silica may be essential safety backup gear.

http://providentliving.org/content/display/0,11666,7532-1-4063-1,00.html

Warning: Botulism poisoning may result if moist products are stored in packaging that reduces oxygen. When stored in airtight containers with oxygen absorbers, products must be dry (about 10% or less moisture content).
Salt is used to protect from botulism so it safe. Sugar solutions such as corn syrup can have small amounts of botulism bacteria present but it will not grow in crystalized sugar. In sugar solutions / honey you are safe once you reach the age you start to eat solid food because of the increase in stomach acid but that is because the amount of bacteria is so small. You can also find the bacteria in most nonacidic soils so you are in daily contact with it all the time. It is just the dosage that you receive is not a system overload. The main problem with this illness is improperly canned low acid foods or poorly dried foods. For example fruits and acidy vegetable foods like tomatoes or pickles are able to be canned in a water bath but foods like green beans must be pressure canned or they can kill you due to botulism. The higher heat allowed with pressure canning kills the bacterium that causes the illness.
 

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
Joined
·
67,429 Posts
Botulism can't grow in either salt or sugar. So no worries there. It is a worry in low acid foods in a low O2 environment though. This is another reason why it's important to make sure your home dehydrated foods are dry enough before packaging.

There's no reason to use an O2 absorber with sugar or salt anyway. All it does is turn them into solid rocks. They don't need a low O2 atmosphere for storage. Dessicant packs are a good idea though, to help them stay dry and free flowing.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top