Survivalist Forum banner

Botulism and cans

10224 Views 17 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  ookpik

Two questions:

1 - I was told to be careful with beans. What is the danger of botulism and dry Pinto beans in pails or #10?

2 - Is it a good deal? At Kroger Chef Boyardee 15 oz Ravioli or Lasagna in cans for 1 for 1$?

Thank you
1 - 1 of 18 Posts
The botulism spores are heat tolerant, that's why the higher heat of pressure canning is needed for low acid foods. But the toxin breaks down readily when heated to normal cooking temperatures. Here's a few links, google found many.

Journal of the American Medical Association:
The toxin is readily inactivated by heat (85°C for 5 minutes).
While the botulinum spores are heat stable, the toxin itself is heat-labile, so heating a food to 176°F for 10 minutes before consumption can greatly reduce the risk of illness.
The toxin is heat labile and can be destroyed if heated at 80°C for 10 minutes or longer.
I know I've read from several sources that when opening home pressure canned foods that it is recommended to always simmer them for 10 - 15 minutes before consuming. Reading that never gave me supreme confidence in the home canning methods but I look at it as perhaps another layer of cya. I also believe that as others have posted most of the time the signs are evident whether a jar has been compromised. Be observant.

  • Like
Reactions: 1
1 - 1 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.