Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,964 Posts
I was going to ask you what you meant by those terms, as I'm unfamiliar with them.

But instead I looked them up on Google, and while it appears a Bivi is a sort of bivouac bag like a mini-tent that goes over your sleeping bag (how close am I on this definition?), a bothy appears to be...a small cottage or other semi-permanent shelter for use by anyone who happens by.

So it's clear that I'm unclear, unless you have found a way to carry a small cottage on your back.

Would you explain a bit more what you mean, specifically, by those terms? And if you could point us to a pic or two, that would probably be helpful.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, its a different use of the word bothy.
the bothy bag i'm meaning is a lightweight portable shelter, packs down like a tiny sleeping bag, fits you and all your stuff in, you just hunker down in them. you can get 'em to fit two people or to fit twenty :)
imagine a waterproof drawstring bag that fits humans inside :)
and the kind of bivi i'm meaning is a kind of one-person tent/sleeping bag combo, again very lightweight and packs down tiny.
both this and the bothy bag eliminate the need to carry a tent.
i've only just come across the bothy bag, and it seems a perfectly good alternative to the bivi, and with more space inside to move.
but of course, there'll be downsides to it that i've not thought of yet, i imagine!

·
Registered
858 Posts
having looked at some images of Bothy bags and thinking over my own experience with bivvy bags I was just wondering how exactly you deploy a bothy and ensure it keeps shape. Could you please explain how that is done.

Whilst the bothy from first appearances looks like a good bit of kit I question the following

durability
ease of set up on slopes, wooded area's, ease of packing away, effect of low to high strength winds
Colours, what colours does the bothy bag come in? as this will affect conceal ability.

Bivvy bags in my experience are effective in keeping rain off your body but require bungees and string to set up correctly along with something to attach them too which is not ideal. Also they must be low to the ground and sloping, preferably in such a manor that rain running off it does not run down the sides and then into your sleeping area!

I have spent many a night lying in my sleeping bag with the wind howling and flapping and the air temperature so cold that to expose a body part will prevent you going to sleep along with the noise of the bivvy flapping up and down and then the added fact that your breath will condense on your side of the bivvy and drip back onto your face...I've not had a comfortable time whilst doing this but have certainly learnt how to survive which is what we're all about.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I used to have a tiny little one pole bivy tent. it was claustrophobic and just about worthless as far as I was concerned. I started saving weight in other ways.

·
Just fed up.
969 Posts
I used to have to carry a bothy bag when I worked as an outdoor instructor.
Now that I don't, I carry a tarp, as they're more versatile & they come in colours that aren't red or yellow.
I'd think again if I was you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts