Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Padawan Learner
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hypothetically speaking of course, if someone wanted to get a 7x12 enclosed cargo trialer and turn it into a portable storage building or BOT (Bug Out Trailer). What all would they need to put in it in addition to the following hypothetical list?

Ammo
125 410
800 12ga 15 slugs, 25 #4, 25 #6, 750 bird shot
200 20ga 5 slug, 10 #4, 175 bird
1400 223/5.56
4000 7.62x39
440 7.62x54r
800 45acp
15 45LC
120 30-30win
350 380
3000 22lr

Firearms
1 20ga pump
1 20ga single shot
4 12ga pump
2 12ga single shot
2 AK 47 7.62x39
2 AR 15 .223/5.56
2 SKS 7.62x39
1 MAK 90 7.62x39
1 Mosin Nagant 7.62x54r
1 Nylon 66 .22lr

1 22/45 .22lr
1 1911 45acp
1 PT145 45acp
1 380
1 22lr
1 Judge 410/45LC

1 compound bow

etc..
1 Gun cleaning supplies and parts
1 Tactical vest and belt
1 Large medical backpack full of misc med supplies
14 small propane bottles
1 propane grill
1 propane stove

3 5gal buckets of Pintos
6 5gal buckets of rice
3 5gal buckets of noodles
2 5gal buckets of flour
2 5gal buckets of sugar

25 Mountain House pouch meals
1 2 week food pantry (freeze dried)
1 case of salt
54 cans of Vienna sausage
20 small cans of tuna
16 cans of spam
20 MRE meals
10 pounds of honey
5 gal of cooking oil
12 #10 cans of misc freeze dried foods
6 #10 cans of peas
6 #10 cans of sweet corn
6 #10 cans of pork n beans
3 #10 cans of baked beans
1 #10 can of chili
2 #10 cans of non-hybrid garden seeds
2 large cans of tuna
26 cans of misc soups
21 36 bottle cases of bottled water
216 rolls of toilet paper
600 spoons
600 forks
48 tea bags
2 qts alcohol
2 qts peroxide
4 tubes toothpaste
2 bottles of Excedrin
feminine supplies
Misc books, encyclopedia set, etc
clothes, summer and winter
shoes and boots
1 large bag baking soda
20 bars of soap
3 gal of antibacterial soap

Here are some pics of this hypothetical idea;

·
Those were the days....
4,542 Posts
A spare tire or two for said trailer. And you`ll need a serious floor jack to lift it. The small, scissor type jack that comes behind your seat aint gonna cut it, unless you want to unload it first.

Judging by the pics, someone is past the "hypothetical" stage. Just a note, place as much of the weight over the axle as you can, it`ll handle better.

·
obstinate Bastard
224 Posts
54 cans of Vienna sausage, WOW you like the sausage!
Is that why so many Toilet rolls?
Your gonna need more Tea and coffee, even if you don't drink it yourself, also Tents, sleeping bags, blankets, tarps, ropes. Knives, hatchet, axes, firestarter,Flashlights, radio, BBQ grill, garbage bags-heavy duty, to name just a few.
extra maps,

·
Do or do not, is no try
81 Posts
My suggestion would be to make sure you have some tie down way to keep everything from knocking around and spilling over. Other than that it is really awesome. You got any camo? I also have the same resource questions along the lines that Bluewolf and my question is what you are towing with? You gonna paint it to conceal it......hypothetically of course?

·
Sky Soldier
339 Posts
Looks nice. I'm sure you know what your doing. I would like to advise you of something that happens in the north country. I have several trailers of rescue equipment that are stored outside at work. In the late winter and early spring mainly the sun is out the weather starts to warm up highs 30s lows 40s and at night items cool to freezing temps again. Steel items sweat and rust, brass items sweat start to tarnish, aluminium items sweat and oxidize. I hope this doesnt effect any of your preps.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
17,533 Posts
I think you need a hypothetical tent (or camper), sleeping bags, cooling pots, pans, Dutch oven, I would choose a water filter vs all those bottles. Radio and communication gear. Tools, chainsaws, shovels, garden tools, fishing gear, steel traps, binocs, knives and butchering gear.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Quick note

ammo box and gun safe? need to be secured

trailers need to be loaded properly. Tounge weight needs to be 10-15% of total trailer wt. in order to eliminate sway.

I like to conentrate the heaviest items just in front of the trailers axle and make sure not to over the rear.

Is your vehicles brakes sufficent? Checked out trailer lights and carry spare bulbs. I'm looking into carrying a set of Magnetic Trailer lights that plugs into the flat, 4-way connecter for emergency use (get me where I'm going, then I'll fix the lights)

Road test ? May need mirror extentions.

On edit. Add portable shower and a portable toilet. Consider laterns and stoves that use Coleman/unleaded gas fuel.

·
Padawan Learner
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am still very new at this and trying to learn as much as possible.

Tow vehicles, primary truck is a modified 99 powerstroke F-250 4x4, secondary is a Ford Ranger and a 69 F-100 if the EMP fries all the computerized vehicles, then there are plenty of other trucks and tractors around if needed.

My plan is to shelter in place but I like the idea of portability if needed for any reason.
The trailer idea is more of a needed a place to store stuff and the trailer was cost comparative to a storage building but is highly portable. Currently I am having locational issues, trying to sell my house and buy a better situated place to build exactly what I want. I do have a 140 acre BOL with 3 wells on it about 20 miles from my current house.

Long term plan is to build a house with a drive in basement with a hidden underground room to park the trailer in.

Security is a big concern but there are good locking mechanisms for trailer tongues and wheels and doors these days. This is also why I would guess that the hypothetical someone wouldn't want to do anything to the outside to make it look different from any other trailer.

BTW, I have 7 trailers including a 30' Gooseneck 20ton and a 28ft enclosed cargo full of tools and equipment and another 12' cargo full of tools and construction supplies so I am familiar with trailers and towing.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sorry, You have more experience with trailers than most. Lots of folks don't realize that heavy duty pickups exist for a reason.

I got a 8.5x24 cargo trailer with plans on converting to a camper this spring/summer.

Your trailer' construction looks a lot like mine which is a Diamond made in Douglas, Ga.

Fred

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
i hope your trailer has AC/heated or is parked in AC. because all that food and ammo being stored in it will go bad VERY fast if its kept in that trailer without AC/heat. the ideal temp to maintain is below 74F for storage.

if your not keeping this trailer cooled/heated your makeing a BIG mistake storeing food and ammo. the temp changes can do bad things to ammo and the summer heat will cook the canned food

haveing a trailer is a great idea :thumb: i just wouldnt store my food and ammo in it for over a few weeks in the summer (unless you live way up north where summers dont get over 75F)

·
Padawan Learner
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wouldnt it better for you to stock same caliber guns or less variety of them so you have less worry about the ammo?

I mean 15 45LC rounds? 120 rnd 30-30? why bother?
It is still very much a work in progress, the reason for making a list and taking inventory is to identify the areas that need attention. I just got the 410/45LC judge for Valentines day so I haven't had time to stock up ammo for it yet.
I have always been of the belief that you can never have too many guns!

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
My cousin has a trailer similar to that, he built shelves on the sides that are hinged so they can be folded flat against the walls then folded down and put a pad and sleeping bag on for bunks.
I would look at getting an RV water tank rather than the bottled water, bottles water like that isn't space efficient, all the wasted air space between the bottles.
But wow, thats a lot of stuff.

·
Padawan Learner
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i hope your trailer has AC/heated or is parked in AC. because all that food and ammo being stored in it will go bad VERY fast if its kept in that trailer without AC/heat. the ideal temp to maintain is below 74F for storage.

if your not keeping this trailer cooled/heated your makeing a BIG mistake storeing food and ammo. the temp changes can do bad things to ammo and the summer heat will cook the canned food

haveing a trailer is a great idea :thumb: i just wouldnt store my food and ammo in it for over a few weeks in the summer (unless you live way up north where summers dont get over 75F)
This a my biggest concern, eventually I plan to have it parked in the underground basement room where the environment will be much better. However as of right now I don't have much choice. All I can think of to do is keep the trailer in the shade as much as possible. I keep huge desiccant packs in the gun cabinet and keep the guns soaked with oil. All of the ammo is in well sealed military ammo cans.
I don't completely buy the ammo will spoil arguments anyway. Dad has ammo stored all over the farm that is older than I am and most of it is just fine. Most of it is in bags or boxes or just laying out on shelves and is exposed to the elements in open barns and sheds.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
some things i dont see:

water filter
fire starting items
shovel
solar battery charger (convert all batteries to rechargable)
radio
flashlights
books (information on survival foods,medical, cordage,gardening...ect)
compass
knives
axe
saw
spool of paracord
20 ga wire (snar traps)
fishing gear
more 22lr ammo

by the looks of it,its to late for you to do this,but ill suggest it anyway incase you stock up more. instead of putting 30lb of sugar into a 5gal bucket and 35 lbs of flour in another salt in another bucket...ect its better to put a little bit of it all in each bucket like 10lb sugar 1lb salt 5lb flour...ect until the bucket is full. the reason i suggest you do it that way is so you just need to open 1 bucket for your supplies instead of opening and breaking the seals on 7 buckets. :thumb:

becarful of the food at summer temp it could turn bad REAL fast.if that trailer isnt kept cool enough your really putting your life at risk eating the food thats in there, i wouldnt eat it

could you not rig up a window AC unit to go in the trailer?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.