Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this must have been discussed before, but I have been reading about how cleaning rods can damage a rifle bore. I recently bought a colt 6920 ar15. I am worried about damaging the bore even though the owners manual doesn't mention this at all. It just says to run a cleaning rod through it with no specifics about the process. I have used a one piece cheap cleaning rod on the 6920. I just pushed it through on the breech end, unscrewed the brush or patch, and pulled the empty rod back out. It seemed like it was rubbing against the bore too much. I paid a fortune for my AR, so I want to be safe.
I bought a bore snake today for it. Is it really easy to damage a bore?

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
Pushing a rod is the easiest way to damage the threads. Most only pull the rod and only in the direction of bullet travel, not back and forth. A bore snake is excellent for cleaning the barrel. However, you still need to clean the chamber and locking lugs which means a 5.56 chamber brush. I keep a boresnake in the pistol grip of the telestock one, and cleaning kit in the buttstock of other.

Get a copy of the g.i. manual to show proper care and feeding. Pm me your email and Ill mail you the pdf, but I think its in the downloads.

·
Guardian of Liberty
435 Posts
My .02

A bore snake is a great tool, but for a field kit I suggest the cleaning rods. My reason for suggesting this is because a bore snake doesn't clean the chamber very well, and in the field you want to carry as little weight as possible. That said, since most of your time isn't in the field a bore snake is awesome for at the range immediately after shooting.

So, bore snakes are great and serve a purpose but in the field just carry the m16 cleaning kit, it has everything you need.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,765 Posts
Snakes are fine for general cleaning of the bore, but in the unlikely event that you stick a case you will need a cleaning rod to unstick it. I have only done this once in 25 yrs but when it happens nothing else will do. My solution was to carry a multi piece cleaning rod in my field case.

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
Claening rods bad for cleaning a rifle??? Gotta be an old wives' tale of some sort. # 1. Cleaning rods are made from steel that is nowhere near as hard as the steel in your rifle. That means that a cleaning rod probably won't damage the rifle unless you take something to extremes. # 2. Cleaning rods have to be of a smaller diameter than your rifle bore to get it through the length of the rifle. My guess is that somebody, again, took the use of a cleaning rod to some sort of extreme to damage a rifle at one time and then falsely blamed the cleaning rod. I guess if you took a .308 cleaning rod and tried to force it through a .223 size rifle you could damage the rifle with enough force but that's about the only way. A softer steel and smaller diameter cleaning rod shouldn't hurt a rifle at all. Let's not forget that cleaning rods have also been made from plastic and wood too. So the guy who hooks his cleaning rod up to a high speed drill and uses some sort of acid to clean out the bore of his rifle gets to blame the cleaning rod for the damage done to his rifle? I don't think so.

·
Banned
291 Posts
don't bother. When your gun gets dirty just throw it away and get another one
LOL, chuckling here!!!! My understanding from hours of reading is that the bushmaster ar15 barrel rarely needs to be cleaned. Rather the chamber instead. The reason being that the moly chrome barrel rarely gets fouled, the chamber collects copper dust along with the ejector and must be cleaned often. Sorry I don't have the link at the moment, just google " cleaning moly chrome barrels." The guy really goes into detail. The eye catcher for me was, never use abrasive cleaners on moly chrome barrels, that shortens the life of the barrel faster than the bullets.

·
Do you smell that?
4,591 Posts
I agree with Marks and Hicks. Just try to push a casing out of the chamber with a snake. Yeah, they're light and cool, but a failure to extract = dead. Its that simple. If the leads coming the wrong way and you cant clear your weapon, the guy that shoots you will use his cleaning rod to do it and have a nice AR as a result.

As a side note, now that you have spent that fortune that rifle, buy a parts kit. I full parts kit. Some day you may need it and its cheap insurance.

Reactions: Lone_Sheep_Dog

·
Why is the Rum gone?
4,774 Posts
Angeryamerican
As a side note, now that you have spent that fortune that rifle, buy a parts kit. I full parts kit. Some day you may need it and its cheap insurance.
I couldn't agree more!

Lone Sheep Dog;
Now that you have the big part, it's time to get all the other stuff that will keep her going. Spare Parts, ammo, extra mags (can't have too many) cleaning supplies, oils, lubes etc. ammo, stripper clips and chargers, more ammo, bandoleers, ammo cans with ammo in them, solvents, patches, sling, did I mention ammo? Lotsa ammo.
Then take a whole bunch of the ammo out and practice, practice practice. Then go buy more ammo.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
Bore snakes are very popular and a handy way to clean the bore. On the downside, every gun related forum that I hang out in always seems to have an active thread running about someone who had a bore snake break off in the barrel and is stuck solidly and can't be removed. I guess they they get worn enough, they break. I don't know how to tell when they're that worn so I won't use them nor sell them anymore. There are other pull through solutions that are better than the bore snake in my opinion. Otis makes a great system. The other solution is the cheapest and best working system I've used. It's called Patch Worm. Small enough to carry in your shirt pocket too.

I suggest just getting a high quality rod and using it properly. Clean from the breech end, or use a rod guide if you have no choice but to clean from the muzzle.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Snakes are great for a quick clean up of barrels on bolt action rifles. With SA rifles/carbines, you need to clean the action and some other parts, too. So a cleaning kit would be in order.

On a side note, how often do cases get stuck in bores? Is this something endemic in ARs? I know on delayed roll back semis, using commercial brass ammo can cause this if the gun's out of spec, but I'd only use milspec/NATO spec brass in mine. ???

Jim

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Everyone should have a cleaning rod whether they use that as their primary cleaning instrument or not.

When the chips are down and you dove into that ditch and indavertantly pushed 2 inches of mud up the end of your barrel, how are you gonna get that out with a bore snake?

Personal experience was not so drastic, just a hunting trip 80 miles from the nearest town and the rifle dropped out of the truck, muzzle first (ouch!). 2 inches of mud up the end of the barrel. Luckily I had a military surplus screw-together cleaning rod and was able to knock the mud out with a patched loop. Cleaned the gun up with a few more patches and was back to hunting within a few minutes.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Everyone should have a cleaning rod whether they use that as their primary cleaning instrument or not.

When the chips are down and you dove into that ditch and indavertantly pushed 2 inches of mud up the end of your barrel, how are you gonna get that out with a bore snake?

Personal experience was not so drastic, just a hunting trip 80 miles from the nearest town and the rifle dropped out of the truck, muzzle first (ouch!). 2 inches of mud up the end of the barrel. Luckily I had a military surplus screw-together cleaning rod and was able to knock the mud out with a patched loop. Cleaned the gun up with a few more patches and was back to hunting within a few minutes.
Also a coated cable one is an option if you want it more portable. It is the best of both worlds, Otis makes a small grip size cleaning kit too that is nice, but way overpriced and you can build one for much less.

http://www.otisgun.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/fcatalog.html&setup=1&cart_id=

·
Registered
896 Posts
How do you make one?
You can use aircraft cable or sturdy wire and solder on the end of your choosing for the snake, but I have always just purchased one. As for the grip kit you can buy inexpensive cloth pull through ones or assemble your own.

A cable, small vial of clp, patches, brush, can be stored right in the grip.

They make inexpensive rubber plugs that go in the grip to hold stuff, I even have a spare firing pin and springs in mine. Basically I am talking about assembling a grip kit for much less than what they charge. Similar to this but much more affordable if you just buy the parts.

http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=OTIS-225-56

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.