Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Look Behind You!!
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know everybody's thoughts on adding booze to your preps. I know it sounds weird but, I added two cases of 100 proof Vodka to mine. I really don't drink hard alcohol myself but, sure would be good to have around.

Thought it would be a good barter tool.

What are your thoughts on this and what other uses (besides the obvious) can we think of?

·
Barrio Bajo Señor
3,786 Posts
i have 4 cases in my preps, been looking to add more in the past coupe of weeks but cant find a deal. the cheapest i can find is 8.99/750ml when i was buying for 5.99

·
Liberty or Death!
679 Posts
I would only have it for that purpose but I don't plan on having any. May be tempted to drink it and I need a clear head which is why I quit drinking except once every year or two. May prove useful, you are keeping what many addicted to it would try and get at no matter what, that could be said for most things in that situation. If they are serious boozers you could get more out of it then you could with food so probably a good move.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's actually a really good idea. Your better off using grain alcohol in an injury than isopropyl or ethyl rubbing alcohols (both of which having warning against, but people still do it). Alcohol is also a great fire starter (especially when combined with vasoline), solvent, sterilizer and can be used to make other useful items (such as soaps, biodiesel, glycerine, vinegar, etc).

The question would be on the quantity and concentration. Having a small amount handy in a BOB and the ability to make it in quantity at your final BOL would probably be the most pragmatic.

I don't think folks give much thought in going between points; being mobile is paramount in survival situation.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've been expanding my wine cellar collection for the past year, mostly reds because they age better. Also been buying an extra bottle of spirits (rum, vodka, etc.) here and there.

I've also started buying those little bottles you see on airlines. Figure they would come in handy for trading.

·
Look Behind You!!
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been expanding my wine cellar collection for the past year, mostly reds because they age better. Also been buying an extra bottle of spirits (rum, vodka, etc.) here and there.

I've also started buying those little bottles you see on airlines. Figure they would come in handy for trading.
Good idea with the little bottles. If you trade them it makes it easy to tell that person you are trading with "Thats all I have, take it or leave it." That way they don't think you have a large stash at home.

·
LASSIE! (I did it again)
179 Posts
I will be adding clear spirits(vodka, gin, ever clear)to my preps. Part of it will be for personal consumption, part will be for trading. To that end, I like the idea of pints...just looking for a store where I can buy case lots.

·
Deus exsisto laus
3,963 Posts
I am putting in honey bee hives. I will have honey, beeswax, and MEAD. I can't be raided for the mead, it will be stored near the bees. There are about 10,000 bees per hive. There will be 10 hives. That's a lot of ouch ! It does however, give me a marketable trade that could be in demand. TP

·
Deus exsisto laus
3,963 Posts
Let's see, you give booze to a stranger who's a mean drunk.
He comes back, with friends, beats you up and rapes your family.
Good time for some, you not so much.

Same reason I'm not giving strangers ammo.
Or... I don't sell to strangers, but a mean drunk shows up w/ his friends and get's mowed down by me and my group. The community seems to enjoy honey, beeswax candles, bees wax for canning, and mead. So they also want to help protect the bee keeper. I completely agree about the ammo though. I hear people stockpiling ammo to barter with and just shake my head. TP

·
Registered
364 Posts
Might I suggest goldschlager as a good survival booze. That way you get some hard alcohol and pm's at the same time. Also the ladies think it is some pretty classy s.h.i.t. If you drink enough, gold miners will be laying claim to your latrine.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
You should definitely add booze to your preps. Get a nice bottle of semi-aged scotch and just leave it at your BOL... even if SHTF doesn't occur for 10+ years you'll have even better scotch when SHTF!

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
You should definitely add booze to your preps. Get a nice bottle of semi-aged scotch and just leave it at your BOL... even if SHTF doesn't occur for 10+ years you'll have even better scotch when SHTF!
Actually it quits ageing when they take it out of the barrels.
thats true but If you make your own spirits you can get new charred barrels and age it yourself nice thing about drinks is once it hits 20% abv it does not go bad like wine does and will last forever only thing bout barrel aging is you want to keep it in a very humid place as the dryer it is the mroe you will lose from the barrel from evaporation if you want to age for a long time your going to either want a real big barrel or several smaller barrels so you can blend it together so you dont run your barrels dry i think at 80% humidity your going to lose like a gallon or two a year through evaporation

1 - 20 of 25 Posts