Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Outdoorsman and Hunter
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am searching for a high quality very functional boot knife and wanted to solicit recommendations from everyone. Here is my criteria...

1. Super high quality steel that will HOLD a razor sharp edge.

2. Functional in that there isn't any design flaws that would cause a problem.

3. Full tang

If anyone has any suggestions please put them out along with URL of where to get them if you have them.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
may I ask why a boot knife?
and is it for in the boot or outside the boot?

·
Troublesome.
1,333 Posts
Oh that is easy. Gerber Mk II

I linked to the Google Shopping page because this knife is available with a couple of different sheath styles (belt; vertical, horizontal. Boot, neck, etc.) and blade configurations (serrated or not).

* - Tough as nails.
* - Historically proven as a deadly tool.
* - Balance is spot on for a fighting knife.
* - Capable of "razor sharp" doesn't even begin to describe its capability to take an edge.

'course, you know; in my opinion.:xeye:

·
Registered
773 Posts
I have a Mora attached to my boot (cowboy style work boot). It has a paracord knotted wrap with the upper sheath attached to the boot strap and the lower anchored with 2 eye rivets at the bottom.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I use a little dinky smith and wesson boot knife with a false edge.

I attached it to my old ass Harley boots (gift from my father).

Works for me cheap too I think 30 bucks

·
Sibi Totique
1,074 Posts
May I ask why you are looking for a “Boot Knife”? Personally I don’t like dual edged knives as Survival Knives, they look cool and are good for opening letters, but that about it. That being said; if you are looking you might want to consider the Fällkniven G1, Full tang, VG-10 steel.

·
أنا واحد
6,631 Posts

I linked to the Google Shopping page because this knife is available with a couple of different sheath styles (belt; vertical, horizontal. Boot, neck, etc.) and blade configurations (serrated or not).

* - Tough as nails.
* - Capable of "razor sharp" doesn't even begin to describe its capability to take an edge.

^This man knows his knives, If you can get an early nineties or older model it will set you back about 200 hundred but it's a MUCH higher grade carbon steel than the current release. My second choice would be an Authentic Sykes Fairbairn. Made in Sheffield England.. Used to be SAS issue upon graduation. (I think they still are) I paid 80 for mine its a third pattern. Those are two of the deadliest knives in military history.

·
Just livin'
2,466 Posts

* - Tough as nails.

Thats my choice as well.

·
أنا واحد
6,631 Posts
May I ask why you are looking for a “Boot Knife”? Personally I don’t like dual edged knives as Survival Knives, they look cool and are good for opening letters, but that about it. That being said; if you are looking you might want to consider the Fällkniven G1, Full tang, VG-10 steel.
The double edge knife is designed for killing. Its not survival knife. They may also be good as a letter opener, I'll have to take your word for it. If one wanted a survival knife. I would have recommended a K-Bar. That knife actually could serve both purposes.

·
Outdoorsman and Hunter
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All,

Thank you for the great recommendations. My needs are strictly for a fighting knife and it would be used inside the boot. I have plenty of survival knives and even a couple of fighting knives, but not one is a boot knife.

This man knows his knives, If you can get an early nineties or older model it will set you back about 200 hundred but it's a MUCH higher grade carbon steel than the current release.
I wondered about this. Buck knives are the same way. An old Buck knife could take an edge and would split hairs, but the newer ones for some reason aren't made as well. I never knew what changed, but clearly something did. Not sure why most knife companies quit using such high grade steel in their blades.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts