Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using anything different than a Boonie hat for sun protection during a disaster or just for sun protection. I have 3 of them, 1 in Tiger Stripe, 1 in Woodland Camo and 1 in Real Tree camo all of which work great at keeping facial sunburn at bay. Anyone use anything different as a hat for sun protection?

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
99% of us here got one when we saw how cool it looked on Kev.

I wear mine often.

·
Old Soldier
5,072 Posts

I wear mine often.
To be really cool, you need to make a slit in the rolled edge of the brim and carefully thread a binding wire from a case of C-rations thru there. Then you can bend and shape it and "go hollywood" as we used to say.:D:
Ooops! Am I showing my age?:eek:

·
Zomby Woof
14,263 Posts
Anyone using anything different than a Boonie hat for sun protection during a disaster or just for sun protection. I have 3 of them, 1 in Tiger Stripe, 1 in Woodland Camo and 1 in Real Tree camo all of which work great at keeping facial sunburn at bay. Anyone use anything different as a hat for sun protection?
Fine for rain too.
That reminds me, I need to get another one.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts

I wear mine often.
Thank you.

I wear mine to keep the sun off the tops of my ears, and hopefully help prevent skin cancer.

A regular baseball cap does not protect the top of the ears.

·
Bush Walker
4,037 Posts
Thank you.

I wear mine to keep the sun off the tops of my ears, and hopefully help prevent skin cancer.

A regular baseball cap does not protect the top of the ears.

Kev....why you think all the homies tuck their ears in those fitted ballcaps that are a half size too big? for rap videos? naw son! preventing eartip skin cancer!

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
To be really cool, you need to make a slit in the rolled edge of the brim and carefully thread a binding wire from a case of C-rations thru there. Then you can bend and shape it and "go hollywood" as we used to say.:D:
Ooops! Am I showing my age?:eek:
Actually that's a great idea. Only I am going to put a couple of strands of snare wire in mine.

Never know when a piece of snare wire will come in handy.

Reactions: MikeK

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
I have a couple of reversible boonie hats. Navy blue for urban environmentals, flip it and it's camo for the woods.

I've been looking for something like a boonie hat but with a wider brim. Meanwhile my other hat is a cheap one-size-fits-all straw hat.

·
Bushwacker
1,479 Posts
I got my first boonie cap back in 2002 while in the Army. I still have it too. Since then I got this one off amazon and have been pretty pleased with it.
I also have a hand made choker band I put around the top.

In my opinion It's better than my Army boonie.

I also have a skullcap made of 27" bandana which is pretty comfortable for the trails and keeps the sweat out of my eyes.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,527 Posts
I have several different hats I use in the sun. A boonie is one of them. Another came from REI. Outdoor Research perhaps? Anyway, it has a full brim like a boonie, and a neck guard to keep the sun off the back of my neck. I also have a couple different straw hats that I use for hiking, gardening, target shooting, etc.

·
Old Soldier
5,072 Posts
OK, a show of hands, please. How many have a hand grenade ring on their hat loops to ward off evil schrapnel?:D:
I'm not superstitious, mind you, but I don't push my luck either.:thumb:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts