Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the forum and couldn't find any reviews on books about gunsmithing. I'm looking for kind of an introductory book on how to repair and work on rifles mostly. Help would be appreciated and if this needs to move to the book section have at it.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,538 Posts
I searched the forum and couldn't find any reviews on books about gunsmithing. I'm looking for kind of an introductory book on how to repair and work on rifles mostly. Help would be appreciated and if this needs to move to the book section have at it.
There are a few that I can recommend. The first is a useful teaching tool, but isn't specific to just rifles. It's called Do It Yourself Gun Repair. Another good one is Gunsmithing with Simple Hand Tools by Andrew Dubino. Then there's Gunsmithing Rifles by Patrick Sweeney. You might also look for books specific to your guns. They often have particular tips on repairs and upgrades to those guns that are valuable information.

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
Dude, gunsmithing is not something you can find online.......you have to apprentice with a competant gunsmith, to learn all the naunces of the art.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
If you are just looking to tinker and clean, then all the old firearms disassembly guides will help. Can find them at Amazon.

Any US Service weapons are on youtube.

I am a far cry from a gunsmith but I learned what I know from competitive shooting, teaching and working at a range.

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
If you are just looking to tinker and clean, then all the old firearms disassembly guides will help. Can find them at Amazon.

Any US Service weapons are on youtube.

I am a far cry from a gunsmith but I learned what I know from competitive shooting, teaching and working at a range.
Define tinker.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,392 Posts
The best Gunsmithing books I have were published by the NRA. The "NRA Gunsmithing Guide- Updated" and Gunsmithing Tips and Projects".

While I do not think that apprenticing with a smith is necessary, taking a basic gunsmithing course through the NRA Gunsmithing program (5 day courses during the summer) would be really helpful.

There are 5 or 6 NRA summer programs located around the US, the Midway and Brownells catalouges and web sites should help you find the closest one for you. Out here in California they are taught at Lassen Community College in Susanville, Ca. If you decide to go to Susanville, say hello to Auto Bob Chavez for me.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Define tinker.
Generally, doing something you shouldn't be and learning from it. Took me years to figure 1911's out and I still don't know shiite. Only took JMB 10 days.:D: Glocks are easy as are XD's, USP's and other tupperware. Just relace the part. 1911's need tweaking.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,538 Posts
Gunsmith Kinks has a bunch of very useful tips for the professional gunsmith, but doesn't really have much to offer anyone wanting to learn to smith on their own guns. I practically live with my nose buried in the series. They're hilarious!

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have found that the AGI videos worked alot better for me. THere not cheap, i bought mine at a gun show, still in the wqraper 4 30 bucks. It was just for the sig 226. i need 2 tools and i can take the whole thing apart, springs and all. BUt for books, i used 2 of the old ones i found in te public library.

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
Generally, doing something you shouldn't be and learning from it. Took me years to figure 1911's out and I still don't know shiite. Only took JMB 10 days.:D: Glocks are easy as are XD's, USP's and other tupperware. Just relace the part. 1911's need tweaking.
So, simply replacing a part, that doesn't need fitting, is tinkering? OK, because anyone who thinks fitting a part is tinkering.....well, just don't try to shoot the gun around anyone( and I'd think twice before shooting it myself[I wouldn't do it]).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts