Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Tab Check
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for all you Backpackers and Preppers...

What book or books do you take in your pack when you hit the trail? If you are a Prepper and Backpacker, do you carry different book(s) for each load?

I carry both Wilderness First Aid and a Wilderness Survival pocket guides that are only mediocer at best. However they have some decent info and diagrams, and are light weight.

I would like to see some type of field guide that has nothing but direct info to use while in the field that includes lots of pictures, diagrams, and critical data, and check lists. Not a reference guide with intros, history, justifications, long explanations, etc. Then wrap this up with water resistant paper and an elephant rubber to keep it water proof. Also, small and light weight. Maybe this could be paired with a reference guide to help establish those base skills (Publishers...are you seeing this)(Oh, if you use this idea I expect a bunch of free copies and a comment in the book

I am thinking of a Ranger Hand Book minus the military aspects and tactics or a SAS Survival Guide minus 90% of the words.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Usually a Bible (WP), Constitution, Collection of Louis L'amour short stories ...

Its hard to carry the whole emergency reference library, so I try to pack most of that between my ears as I can, its not easy, but at least I'll have it when everything else is gone.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
I never carry a book onto the trail with me. The trail is too entertaining for me to need one for enjoyment and any survival information from any book I've read is already in my head.

Really, there are only a few principles and techniques to know and a limited number of useful plants to identify. Everything else is common sense, logic and thinking like an engineer.

·
Tab Check
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:xeye:
I never carry a book onto the trail with me. The trail is too entertaining for me to need one for enjoyment and any survival information from any book I've read is already in my head.

Really, there are only a few principles and techniques to know and a limited number of useful plants to identify. Everything else is common sense, logic and thinking like an engineer.
One thing about sense, its not common ;)

I am gauging the interest in a field guide for those of us that know the basics or read the books on them. The content would be very dense with pics, diagrams, charts, and acronyms and light on background, history, opionion, and other literary fluff.

Not so much an entertaining read as a solid field guide to be used in the field when every ounce counts. I feel the SAS Survival Guide could loose 50-70% of the content and still be valuable while in the field.

So, interested or do you think it has been done? If so, what book or guide so I don't waste my time and effort over the next 18 months.

If you like the idea, what would you like to see in it? If your ideas get in, I will see about getting a free copy to you if it goes that far.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I have a small trail guide for tucson, and sometimes a map of the area that I'm in. Other than the the only written thing I have is stuff I've written down over the years on different skills. So overall not that much in the book department I'd like to have most of it memorized.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
if your shot and you dont KNOW what to do to treat the wound, your dead already, a book isnt going to save you. the point being, learn whats in the books aka read the books and learn what needs to be done.dont rely on that book to keep you alive.or you are dead already

i dont pack any books but only a very few books could i even see being taken to the field. like something to do with healing herbs that tells what plants in your area (not some rare flower only grown on mountain peaks in india) that can be used for medicains and how to make those medicains.and the only reason i can see this type of book being taken is because most ppl cant remember everything in a book like that unless they are actively useing those skills that the book is teaching you. but most ppl can learn how to tie a knot,make a lean to,build a camp fire,figure out which way is north...ect most of the basic survival things are very basic tricks of the trade and are very easy to learn and remember... start reading.

side note: if your going to write a few books make one for beginners and one for advanced and maybe one that is for long term survival. the long term would be more to address medical needs like a toothe ache, or a spider bite/scorpion sting. which tells what plants and how to make medicains/salves to treat out in the field from nature itself and it would need to be area pacific. if i live in the ozark mountains i dont need to know a cure that requires a sharks liver so it needs to a number of cures for the same problem,so it will fit more ppl locations and possablity everyone of useing whats in it. i would closely look at american indian and old folk lore cures that do work.and each plant that is talked about would need to have good quality color pictures so ppl can I.D. the plant easily

·
Tab Check
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Knowledge is better in the brain than in the book! Not arguing that one iota. However, not all of us can remember everything nor have the time to gain that level of all around experience. That is where a field guide could come in handy.

I look over at my book shelf and see any number of guides used by trained professionals that do their chosen profession everyday yet they still use these guides or pocket references because no one can remember it all and sometimes you may just have a case of the dumbs going on ;)

Want to build a shelter but don't have the trees in just the right location or are lacking an axe, or binding materials, or never built on before...page 18-24 has 15 different expedient shelter designs and diagrams.

Trapping, here are 13 different types of traps...

Fishing, here are the 3 knots you must know and where to use them...

Priorities of Survival or being found...

Methods of keeping warm without a tent...

How to setup a campsite

How to find water and filter it

Primitive skills...

Navigation...

First Aid...

Flleting fish and then cooking over an open fire with nothing but your knife in hand...

Same as the fish above but for squirrel or other critter

etc. etc. etc.

·
Tab Check
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
side note: if your going to write a few books make one for beginners and on for advanced and maybe one that is for long term survival. the long term would be more to address medical needs like a toothe ache, or a spider bite/scorpion sting
I love Edits :)

I have been debating on writing the compaion book to this Field Guide...The Reference Guide. The intent is for home reading to build up the back ground knowledge so you can get by with nothing but the Field Guide in your pack.

The challenge is there are already so many GREAT books out there...SAS, Essential Bushcraft, Wilderness...etc. I don't think I could write one better than them so am hesitant.

which tells what plants and how to make medicines/salves
I would love to see one of these myself but don't have the background knowledge nor funding to take off work and gain it. I have a feeling though that a qualtiy book on this topic will have to be region based due to the shear number of plants and uses in the U.S. alone. In addition there would need to be preparation and use sections. Also, what about edible plants and preparations. Thats at least three separate books now but all worthwhile until you master the content!

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
I love Edits :)

I have been debating on writing the compaion book to this Field Guide...The Reference Guide. The intent is for home reading to build up the back ground knowledge so you can get by with nothing but the Field Guide in your pack.

The challenge is there are already so many GREAT books out there...SAS, Essential Bushcraft, Wilderness...etc. I don't think I could write one better than them so am hesitant.

dont try to out do them hit on subject they havent covered or isnt covered very well.

thats why i said 3 differnt type based on length of stay, one that tells the basics for a short term stay like a night or 2, then one that gets more advances at campsite liveing for like 2-4 weeks, then one than is long term over a year or so something that isnt surviveing but living in the wild.

long terms survival things other than medicines like how did the indians tan leather,how did they get salt? or how did the make water bladders? how did they make bows and arrows?...ect

·
Tab Check
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dont try to out do them hit on subject they havent covered or isnt covered very well.

thats why i said 3 differnt type based on length of stay, one that tells the basics for a short term stay like a night or 2, then one that gets more advances at campsite liveing for like 2-4 weeks, then one than is long term over a year or so something that isnt surviveing but living in the wild.

long terms survival things other than medicines like how did the indians tan leather,how did they get salt? or how did the make water bladders? how did they make bows and arrows?...ect
Interesting...I could see a whole series. The research would be really fun. Now, how do I convince my boss to keep paying my salary while I go all over the country researching and testing the methods....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Small travel Bible and looking for a good survival guide.
Hoping I can snag an eReader for cheap to load everything on that. Bought a rechargable radio that can charge cell phones and such so that'll work to recharge it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts