Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This series of four books:
Bushcraft 101
Advanced Bushcraft
The Bushcraft Field Guide to Trapping, Gathering, & Cooking in the Wild
Bushcraft First Aid

is sold as a boxed set at Amazon for about $35: https://www.amazon.com/Bushcraft-Bo...eywords=dave+canterbury&qid=1569706141&sr=8-1

That's just as well as individually, each book is a bit short and sparse on information. Taken as a group, they are a decent introduction to bushcraft skills. The books were written by seasons 1 & 2 Dual Survival host Dave Canterbury who is an outdoorsman and guide living in southeastern Ohio.

Bushcraft 101 and Advanced Bushcraft have the usual survival information expected in a book like this such as how to build a shelter, start a fire, tie various knots and trap small game. The orienteering section is actually fairly useful but I was already familiar with most of the techniques discussed. It's also unclear that the material in Advanced Bushcraft is really more advanced than the information in Bushcraft 101.

All the books are well illustrated with easy to understand drawings although some of the illustrations appear to be filler such as the page that illustrates 50 different styles of ax heads.:confused: Additionally, there's nothing in the first aid book that you couldn't find in an old Boy Scout handbook. The first aid book suffers, as many others do, from the assumption that modern medical care is just a helicopter ride over the next mountain ridge, something SHTF preppers shouldn't count on.

As a whole the SAS Survival Handbook is a better source for bushcraft / survival skills but Canterbury's books fill in some information gaps. I would buy the SAS book first and if you like the material consider buying the Canterbury books.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Good review. I haven't read all of them but I read Bushcraft 101 on Kindle Unlimited and it left me wanting, partly for the reasons you stated. I was already familiar with most of the information and I feel like other resources just illustrate and outline it a bit better. Still probably worth having in the library, but temper expectations.

I like and enjoyed Dave's no-nonsense approach to survival on Dual Survival, but I feel he's a better survivalist than he is author.

·
reluctant sinner
16,989 Posts
Good review. Interesting the kindle is like $50 and paperback is $32.

I liked Dave. His free vids were good and well worth the price. I really like his poncho design (expensive) and plan to make one along the lines. His stainless canteen set in nice but expensive

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for the review! I've thought about buying the series a couple of times, but many negative reviews have stopped me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts