Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People say that the bolts are more accurate than semi-autos. Which is generally true. What about lever actions? How is their accuracy compared to bolts?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
It's about the same out to 150ish yards, but being that levers require a different type of bullets, soft nose, they don't generally have the ability to reach out as far as bolts. Leverevolution ammo is trying to change that, but I don't have any personal experience with it.

Levers kick bolts butt when it comes to speed most of the time, or light weight for that matter.

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
It's about the same out to 150ish yards, but being that levers require a different type of bullets, soft nose, they don't generally have the ability to reach out as far as bolts. Leverevolution ammo is trying to change that, but I don't have any personal experience with it.

Levers kick bolts butt when it comes to speed most of the time, or light weight for that matter.
Not true, there are several rifles (leverguns) that will turn in groups as good as a boltgun. The problem is threefold though as far as getting them to shoot well. The first handicap was the lousy ammo everybody assumes it's a brush gun 300 yards max range. If it shot 3" inches a 100 yards big deal. But with time thing progress and the bulliets got better and better as the hunters demanded such accuracy.

The second handicap was the lousy buckhorn sights. There great for the bush at typical bush ranges but not extended range shots. That is easily fixed with after market sights.

Then there was the design of the weapon itself when the Winchester 1895 came along in .30-40 Krag and .30-06 Springfield that put that excuse to rest. Both are 1000 yards cartridges.

As far as a Marlin .30-30 in my possesion, a 336 Texan made in 1974 will shoot in to a three shot group in to a size of a dime at 100 yards with boring regularity. The ammo.......EL CHEAPO Remington 170 Core-Lokts from Wally World. I certainly can't complain.

Now not all rifles will shoot like that but with some tweaking just like cheaper made bolt actions they to can shoot sub MOA groups.

The truth is if people would stop thinking that the levergun is a short range weapon they could make the steps of making the levergun shoot as well as a bolt gun.

Rifleman 336

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think the reality is that most guns are better guns than most people are marksmen. When I miss a shot, it is invariable ME, not the weapon. That might change if I use a weapon at the very outside limit of it's range.

My favorite rifle at the moment is my Winchester 94 in 357 Magnum. It is an easy 1 - 2" group at 100 yards with iron sights. It is the only rifle I have ever had that was dead on zero first shot out of the box. The action was a little stiff through the first few hundred rounds, but now is smooth and quick. I have taken deer out to 100 yards (approx) without issue, but have read that much farther than that and you are puching the limits of the pistol caliber.

A lever gun is hard to cycle from the prone position, so that might be a hinderance to you, depending on how much you shoot from that position.

All that being said, I recently purchased a M1A Scout, and am trying to grow accustomed to it. My first trip out left me disappointed enough to talk with my dealer about trading it in for something else. It is a great firearm, I think, just does not seem to feel right for me. I am gonna shoot it a few more times before I make a call on this one...:confused:

I love lever guns, but thought something like the M1A would be a better shtf weapon of choice. As I said, I am rethinking that.

John

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Hmm, maybe I should have elaborated...I know they can be wicked accurate because people n my family have taken deer easily out to 300 yards, but I guess I always think of a bolt gun as a super long range weapon.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just to qualify my statement above, over the last 20 years or so, I have grown accustomed to smaller, carbine length, lighter, firearms such as the m16a2 I carried in the USMC and the mini14 I foolishly sold and that Winchester 94 I mentioned above. Comapred to them, the M1A, even the Scout, is huge...

I am confident in it's ablity for what I want it to do, just need to see if the feel of it grows on me, so I am still investigating scopes, etc...

John

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
J&J im sure the M1a will grow on yah. if not you can sell it to me;).

i too like smaller guns though, i have a kel-tec and an M1 carbine. a well as my mossy in my pic.

I think with tweaking those three actions can all be just as accurate in the same caliber. i think typically the bolt is the most accurate out of the box.

T

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
Hmm, maybe I should have elaborated...I know they can be wicked accurate because people n my family have taken deer easily out to 300 yards, but I guess I always think of a bolt gun as a super long range weapon.
Well one can can look at the cartridges (for a bolt usually more powerful in general) , the design (more rugged and stronger) and the magazine (able to handle spitzer bulliets). Thus the reason the military accepted the bolt over levergun was easy not to mention hunters in general. There more rifles based on the mauser bolt action than any other type, thus more gunsmiths specialize in there customization and repair.

Rifleman 336

·
Registered
99 Posts
another reason a bolt gun in general is more accurate is because of how the barrel is attached makes for a better match up far accurate i like my single shot less moving parts and less to tear up and take care of

·
Registered
474 Posts
My cousin a lever gun in .357. I think it's a Winchester. I've only shot it on one occasion at the range using some extra .38 special we have and only really could shoot out to about 50 yards I think. It was an indoor range and the rifle spots were full.
What would you say the effective range given adequate practice and using the iron sights for something like deer would be with a .357 like this? Also, is it adequate enough for game as big as deer?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Seeing as I have all three this is my break down:
I have a Remington 700 SPS tactical that I recently bought as a reasonably cheap, short, and simple .308 for hunting, target, and general use. I feel the bolt gun is nice for extended trips in the brush as it dosent require too too much complex cleaning. I just slide the bolt out the back, run a brush down the tube, and wipe down the bolt and run it back in. Simple. Im happy and feel comfortable with it.

The winchester 94 in 30-30 does not suit my needs, it feels too small in my large frame and I do not like the angle of the lever, I have to twist my hand in the loop a bit. I was thinking of getting a large loop lever but chose against it because it suits my smaller sister as is. She rides horses a lot. Doing trail rides and such. The carbine fits her frame and weight perfect and she can shoot it well. It also carrys well on her horses saddle. The 30-30 round has taken ,Im sure, thousands of pounds of game in its history so Im not afraid shes under gunned.

As for semiautos, My dads getting on in life and he has a hard time working bolt handles and levers, so to him a semi with a scope is ideal. He can take a shot and do a follow up to it pretty quick. But don't knock him, he can swing an irish banjo with deadly accuracy and will fight to the death if you back him in a corner (and wont go down till he takes atleast one with him) I also like semi autos and yes people have, and do on a regular basis shoot just as well as any other platform with a tuned rig.

There is such a dizzying array of: bullet, powder, primer, case, action, barrel length, weight, size, accuracy, ballistics, trigger pull, ect ect that its tough for me or anyone to make a solid recommendation of anything firearm related over the internet. Go to the range, rent some rifles, handguns, ect and shoot, bring your friends, bring your family, see what you shoot well with, what fits your needs and environment, and budget and carry on from there.

And just to add to the confusion you have pump action rifles too! This is by no means meant to be a all inclusive guide to firearm actions but this is just how it works out for us, that is all.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
you forgot pumps. specificaly the remingtom 7600/7400 series. has the reliability and simplicity of a lever gun but without removing your finger from cover/fire position.

(7400 is simi-auto)

·
Registered
215 Posts
One major accuracy factor is stock design- most bolt guns have a one piece stock. Most lever and pump rifles and many self loaders hace two piece stocks. Both can be very accurate, but for a given amount of work on fitting, a one piece stock will be better _on average_.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have found that my M1A is as accurate as any bolt-gun. Of course, I had to do a little minor work to the stock rifle to get there. I fire-lapped the barrel, bedded the stock, and had a trigger job done. All of this was less than 120 bucks. Now it routinely prints groups less than one inch @ 100 yards. I also have a couple of levers and they are accurate (within their range) but aren't as accurate as the M1A. I have a couple of Ruger No. 1's (300 Win Mag and 416 Rigby) and they are as good as any bolt-gun.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
There are many reasons bolt action rifles are more accurate than levers and auto-loaders. Most lever actions are nearly impossible to free float the barrels. Some auto-loaders have this same design "flaw". Most lever actions have a "barrel band". Lever actions dont have a "rotating" bolt to give a better lock-up. Some auto-loaders do. So generally speaking Bolt actions are more accurate. Levers and auto-loaders vary from second and third places depending on design.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you forgot pumps. specificaly the remingtom 7600/7400 series. has the reliability and simplicity of a lever gun but without removing your finger from cover/fire position.

(7400 is simi-auto)
I didn't forget I just didn't want to know anthing about them.

·
Registered
90 Posts

(7400 is simi-auto)
The Remington 740 / 7400 is not known for reliability, or accuracy for that matter. I am not sure if the 760 / 7600 pumps are any better. I would not trust them for defense though. They also are not made to withstand the high temperatures that come from sustained fire.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts