Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into purchasing my first bolt action(besides my .22lr). I want to use it as a defensive gun to immobilize vehicles that try to come onto my land in a shtf situation also a using as a hunting rifle also. I have about a $500 dollar limit to spend on the gun and a scope. I would like to be able to shoot to about 300 yards. i just don't know what caliber to get. I would prefer that it have had a 5 round magazine if possible.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey buddy you have a lot of options if you go to a gun show and look over the pawn shop type tables with all the misc. used scoped hunting rifles. I do highly suggest a Mosin Nagant though. I have a couple of the longer barrel 91 models and a couple spam cans of Romanian steel core ammo that I'm pretty confidant would work or engine block shots but they have iron sights on them. I suggest going to a gunshot and while looking at all the misc. used hunting rifles look up their price an info online as well ad the scope on them so you can see what a fair price is, it have a friend at a computer someplace and talk to him on your cell phone so he can check info online. Do not get anything in a weird big game caliber! If there is a good price on something but it comes in 7mm ultra elkomatic or whatever don't get it, ammo would be $$$. Stick to standard calibers, even check the ammo tables for prices on what something may be. I graves a Mauser auctioned rifle with a different barrel and stock for cheap in 30-06, along with a decent little scope.

Hope that helps you out.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I'm looking into purchasing my first bolt action(besides my .22lr). I want to use it as a defensive gun to immobilize vehicles that try to come onto my land in a shtf situation also a using as a hunting rifle also. I have about a $500 dollar limit to spend on the gun and a scope. I would like to be able to shoot to about 300 yards. i just don't know what caliber to get. I would prefer that it have had a 5 round magazine if possible.
Based upon your dollar limit, I highly recommend a Mosin Nagant. You can pick up the rifle, a spam can of ammo (440 rds, IIRC), and outfit it with a scope for less than $500.

You won't be able to get a rifle for less than $500 (including scope and ammo) and have it immobilize a vehicle. Unless you shoot the driver.

·
You talkin' to me?
8,463 Posts
A K98 is an excellent choice, as is a Mosin. Ammo availablity might be an issue however. I'd choose a 308 with a decent scope loaded with FMJ ammo, same rifle with soft point ammo will take nearly any game in N. America. Most hold 4 or 5 in the mag with one in the chamber.

·
91W & 11B
181 Posts
I second the Mosin/Mauser idea. Either one is a great weapon and can do the job.

Here's what I did with my Mosin - shortened the barrel, refinished the metal, lightened and smoothed out the trigger (added a return spring as well), added the long eye relief scope, added a bent bolt (made from the bayonet), altered and refinished the stock, and added a rubber buttpad. My aim was to make a scout rifle.

Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Air gun

All in all, I have about $200 in the weapon. As previously stated, ammo is cheap and plentiful (at least for now). As far as ammo availability, in a shtf scenario, what you have on hand is all you can count on, so whatever caliber you decide on, buy as much as you can.
The 7.62x54R is comparable to the 30-06 as far as ballistics. I take my rounds, pull the bullets, reload them with a consistant powder charge (the milsurp stuff varies by as much as 5 grains) and re-use the bullets, and with that I can get 1" groups at 50 yds from a bench. YMMV, of course.

Good luck with the search!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.