Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a BOL offer. It's a good 30 minutes outside of a city with great elevation and a fairly decent setup for self sufficiency( way better than apartment living at least ). Before I cache supplies there I have a huge hurdle to overcome ( or perhaps better to say overswim ). The Ohio River. It lies between us. When the SHTF there is presumably no way I am going to get a vehicle accross one of the bridges. The river is probably .4 miles across and I estimate far too much current for me to swim it. There is a foot bridge but not really a way I want to cross ( assuming it didn't fall ) as it is in no way a good spot to end up in a fire fight. Inflatable raft with a paddle maybe? The current is an issue but I could probably use a paddle to cut the angle and end up coming ashore half a mile downstream from where I started the trip? A whole lot to consider. Is this really a BOL option for me?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I have the same situation, live in Ohio, Family farm (BOL) is in WV. At worst case you can go north up and around the WV panhandle, the Ohio river turns east there then goes down toward Pittsburg. So you could detour around, its just a long way.

·
Registered
225 Posts
kayak bro. you will still not cross in s straight line, but it will be much, much better than a raft.

That being said, if you are seen humping throught he city towards the river with any vessel, you most likely will get killed long before you reach water. That vessel will be in uber-high demand.

My suggestion: GTFO of the city BEFORE SHTF. YEARS before. In other words MOVE.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kayak bro. you will still not cross in s straight line, but it will be much, much better than a raft.

That being said, if you are seen humping throught he city towards the river with any vessel, you most likely will get killed long before you reach water. That vessel will be in uber-high demand.

My suggestion: GTFO of the city BEFORE SHTF. YEARS before. In other words MOVE.
Not a viable option sadly :mad:

·
Independent Thinker
2,244 Posts
I dont think its a good idea..but its better than nothing...and u MAY get the jump and get there early. Just think it is just as difficult for the masses to get over the river as it is for you. That could be a good thing.

Reactions: Dilnad

·
1,313 Posts
Your offer of a BOL is as good as your ability to get to it. Questions? Is this BOL free to use, how many people have the same offer and lastly are you going to store preps there?

If you dont accept this offer what alternative options do you have in mind? You can make things work if you really want it or you can plan until doomsday. Only you can answer this question for yourself. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
You'll turn down a good BOL Because you May have some difficulty getting there?? You have a problem (river) that has many solutions. Think it out and prepare a plan. Really what are your options? A BOL with some issues or nothing. Rereading your post it seems you're already problem solving. My two cents worth: go with the BOL.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your offer of a BOL is as good as your ability to get to it. Questions? Is this BOL free to use, how many people have the same offer and lastly are you going to store preps there?

If you dont accept this offer what alternative options do you have in mind? You can make things work if you really want it or you can plan until doomsday. Only you can answer this question for yourself. Good luck!
It would be more of a MAG relationship. A group of folks working as a team. I would store preps there as I suspect the trip may require me to travel light. I am also considering a storage facility on that side of the river.

Alternate options = NONE at the moment. Thus why I am trying to find solutions to work this out.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You'll turn down a good BOL Because you May have some difficulty getting there?? You have a problem (river) that has many solutions. Think it out and prepare a plan. Really what are your options? A BOL with some issues or nothing. Rereading your post it seems you're already problem solving. My two cents worth: go with the BOL.
You are correct. I have decided this is my best option at the moment. I am trying to work the problem but am looking to my fellow board members to help me find viable solutions to make this work if it is indeed workable.

My approach is that the river is not a problem. It's a hurdle. One of many we will all have to overcome if things go bad.

·
Mom Walton
1,390 Posts
What is 30 minutes if you leave on a false alarm; nothing. Like a lady in labor, laugh off a few false starts as practice. Don't wait until the last minute. Just keep you eyes peeled and your ear to the ground.

Perhaps include a "wet suit," flippers, and an inflatable vest in your BOB after some lessons just in case?

·
Registered
11,418 Posts
I have two main BOLs. One could well be unreachable depending on what shtf, but it's nice that I have it. The Hudson River is a big challenge. I only hope I go early. And that's the better location with the bigger group. The other is not as good, but may be okay. Depending on what is going on, I feel pretty comfortable making that trip.

I prepped for both. I can't put all of my eggs in one basket. And, should I live to see retirement, I'm planning on setting up another one for various folks. That one will be further away than the two we currently have, but I think it may be attractive to some of the folks in the two groups. A few more rivers to cross between either of my BOLs though. :(

You have a river. Granted it's a big one, but think it through and you can come up with a plan to get across. look at every route. Sometimes the long way turns out to be the short way. If it's your best choice and, this is very important, you fit in with the group, I'd take it.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Remember that if it does hit the fan and people feel the need to flee. They will head for what they know and are use to ie. the main bridges. Look at a map and identify rural/secondary bridges. Many time it will be faster and safer to go a little out of your way then get caught up in a traffic jam. Another option would be to establish a way to communicate with your MAG. This way someone can meet you at a prearranged spot on the other side of the river. So you don't have to hoof the miles, if you end up taking a raft over the river. Best of luck.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Maybe you should get with a friend that owns property in a rural location and work something out with them?

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Get a folding kayak. Can be put in your vehicle (get a new vehicle if you have to). As you move from wherever you are to the Ohio River you won't be advertising.

Look for an isolated area, take the kayak out, cross the river, abandon the kayak (unless someone is waiting for you). The prices are certainly reasonable.

·
Registered
11,418 Posts
Remember that if it does hit the fan and people feel the need to flee. They will head for what they know and are use to ie. the main bridges.
Good point. I have a tendency to forget that when I'm in a vehicle. It's usually only when I run into a potential problem that I go D'oh and look at alternatives. Well planned alternatives are key.

Won't do me much good though.

·
1 riot 1 ranger
2,057 Posts
You didn't say anything about having a BOB so I am assuming you will be leaving carrying nothing because all your stuff is at the BOL. That would be the best way to leave for me having to cross a river. I would but a BOB on the other side... somewhere downstream. When the time came I would put on a couple of life jackets and let the river take me to the other side. The simplest way is usually the best. A lot less can go wrong.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I take it none of you saw the Flim-Flam Man starring George C. Scott? If you did do you remember how they escaped from the local sheriff by letting the air out of the tires and driving on the railroad tracks? I think it very likely you will find railroad bridges across the river. So you need to get a vehicle with the correct wheel spacing...

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
Get WP bags, USGI waterproofing bags inside your pack. Sealed up TIGHT. All your clothes sleepingbags, etc have air It will keep you afloat The USGI foam pad, isomat, excellent flotation Theres your raft You'll float downstream. Youll get tired. But its a good last resort option I say GO for it.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Or an inflatable boat, something you could put in the back of the BOV then if you can't get across a bridge or detour around and have to abandon the BOV you put your backpack bob on, inflate the boat and get across. My problem is the river is not even the half way point so if we abandon the vehicle we still have 150 miles to go after crossing the river.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Inflatable boat sounds like a great solution if you dont have must you need to take with you. But i am just wondering dont you think the river itself would be a huge problem in many of the natural disaster that might occur, i dont know ohio river but just throwing it out there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts