Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Renegade *******
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sitting here wondering if I should belong to a couple more different survival retreats. Anyone here belong to more then one survival club/camp group?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Well personal choice I guess, but I would be a little leery of someone who claimed to be in a group with me (I'm not in one but just using this as an example) and then also mentioned being "in" other groups.

Where does the loyalty lie? Are you just being used for training, advice, info?

I've consulted with dozens of groups and been in one or two (years and years ago) over the last 22 years. There is LOTS of people out there that are really just looking for an "insurance policy"- i.e, they just want to mooch off of others to get free training, info, discounts on supplies bought in bulk via the group or to have a safe place (group retreat). Most of the time these types bring NOTHING to the group and only want to "take." I call them "takers" and they are usually VERY easy to spot.

I would be VERY HESITANT to group together with someone that may have multiple loyalties. You would start to "count" on them only to find out later that a BBD (bigger better deal) came along and they went over the hill on you.

Lowdown3

·
Registered
377 Posts
Well personal choice I guess, but I would be a little leery of someone who claimed to be in a group with me (I'm not in one but just using this as an example) and then also mentioned being "in" other groups.

Where does the loyalty lie? Are you just being used for training, advice, info?

I've consulted with dozens of groups and been in one or two (years and years ago) over the last 22 years. There is LOTS of people out there that are really just looking for an "insurance policy"- i.e, they just want to mooch off of others to get free training, info, discounts on supplies bought in bulk via the group or to have a safe place (group retreat). Most of the time these types bring NOTHING to the group and only want to "take." I call them "takers" and they are usually VERY easy to spot.

I would be VERY HESITANT to group together with someone that may have multiple loyalties. You would start to "count" on them only to find out later that a BBD (bigger better deal) came along and they went over the hill on you.

Lowdown3
I agree with you, Lowndown. The process to join our community is pretty strict.

From the other stand point, I would be very hesitant to join a group that had people from many different groups. Are they just looking for money from everyone and anyone? I can't see them as looking for quality people to help out in a survival situation, so what is their angle? While groups need to look for good people the other side is true too. People need to look for good groups or else why bother.

blt

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
When you say group this needs to be people you can trust the lives of your loved ones with. These people are like brothers. I feel very fortunate to belong to just such a group. I hope you can find that kind of group to belong with.

·
El Cid, I hate hippies.
213 Posts
Isn't the point of this sort of group to learn from eachother, and to have a group in order to command buying power so that you can get good deals? I am a big fan of haveing a close knit group, I developed one from the military, that still carriers on. Even though we are tight knit group, the reality of bugging out together is unlikely, because we all have our own BOL or place to go, that is separate. However, the prep and education developed and learned from other grooup members is great! We don't kind other people coming with us and learning from us, in fact we welcome them too...why not? And this can give us the power to buy in bulk for better deals. However, we don't necessarily plan to bug out with these people, we are all just learning from eachother. It is mutually beneficial for everyone, because even if someone doesn't bring great survival skills, they can learn them, and they may provide other skill sthat are beneficial to the group members in everyday life, like Doctors or Bankers or Lawyers. We have all of them in our group, and while they may not have the survival skills at first, they learn them, and they are great assests in everyday life!

·
Renegade *******
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I shouldn't have posted it like a group. I own a piece of land that has access to other pieces of land that is deeded as common use land. Because of the nature of the people who would be interested in this we are all like minded. I was thinking about finding a few other places where I could buy a camp membership to hunt, hike, and bug out too. Sorry didn't think the term club would be took as a "organized club" but more of a country club aka limited ownership kind of thing.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Isn't the point of this sort of group to learn from eachother, and to have a group in order to command buying power so that you can get good deals? I am a big fan of haveing a close knit group, I developed one from the military, that still carriers on. Even though we are tight knit group, the reality of bugging out together is unlikely, because we all have our own BOL or place to go, that is separate. However, the prep and education developed and learned from other grooup members is great! We don't kind other people coming with us and learning from us, in fact we welcome them too...why not? And this can give us the power to buy in bulk for better deals. However, we don't necessarily plan to bug out with these people, we are all just learning from eachother. It is mutually beneficial for everyone, because even if someone doesn't bring great survival skills, they can learn them, and they may provide other skill sthat are beneficial to the group members in everyday life, like Doctors or Bankers or Lawyers. We have all of them in our group, and while they may not have the survival skills at first, they learn them, and they are great assests in everyday life!
I guess I'm taking this literally as a survival group instead of a bunch of people getting together. I have no problem with people learning from each other. I am an RN and teach first aid and ECC to the local people. In fact most of the people from this community work with others to teach them skills and we learn from others in many different ways.

What I am talking about is a group or community of people who work together for survival. In that kind of group you would already have your doctors, lawyers and finacial people. Most likely they would share one or two things in common. In our group it is our religion and our desire to leave society and get back to the land. I was invited in 21 years ago because I was going to school to be an RN and I had previous farming skills. I also was a member of this "church" and had shown a willingness to work with people instead of either just being a follower or trying to be a leader. We don't buy in bulk, we work together to raise in bulk. Our money is our own and does not go to the group except to certain projects we all agree on. We live our own lives but also do whatever it takes to keep our community well and whole.

This isn't all goodness and light. A community is not just a group of people. We have to work hard to keep it running smoothly. Sometimes we disagree and have to work hard to find common ground, but we would fight and die for each other. We all live in this valley here and as of Tuesday there is only one other landowner here that is not a member of our group. We consider him a member though and would keep him protected in case of problems.

Anyway, that's what I was talking about when I was talking about a survival community. This community is put together to work together. Allowing just anyone to join might put all the rest of us in jeapordy so we are very careful about it.

blt

·
Registered
1,317 Posts

I guess we differ on the definition of a survival group. To be honest, what your describing is what I call a "training group" or a "network."

Grinan had the best definition of what I consider a survival group-

"When you say group this needs to be people you can trust the lives of your loved ones with. These people are like brothers."

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
When you say group this needs to be people you can trust the lives of your loved ones with. These people are like brothers. I feel very fortunate to belong to just such a group. I hope you can find that kind of group to belong with.

Hey Grinn
Just how do you get involved with a group, I have kept to myself for the most part other then family and one really good friend, but I think to a point there is safety in numbers... SO I would interested in joining a group BUT how do you go about it without them looking at you like a Mad Max nut?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here’s how I see it. First, a little background. I am what’s traditionally referred to as the “lone wolf” type. Although I also network a lot and have good friends I can trust and count on and am always looking to meet like-minded others. What separates me from the rest however, is that I have no family or land ties, therefore being on my own, I have the unique ability to move around whenever and wherever I want, limited to my job opportunities of course. Since I personally enjoy traveling and seeing the country and other parts of the world as well, I don’t want to stop doing what I enjoy and get stuck at home counting the days to TEOTWAWKI. I don’t want survivalism to be my entire life. I want to have a life outside it as well. In fact I actually would prefer we’re all doing this for nothing and that there will be no “end of days” so to speak. I would much rather have world peace and happiness, and be able to do things, enjoy things and have fun without surrendering my freedom. The only reason why I am a survivalist in fact is because I also happen to have my head out of my azz and have a very realistic world view on how things are today.

The second factor is, the job that I have now can vary. Depending upon the assignment or position it can involve being on the road all over the country 80-100 hours a week. Under these circumstances (especially when on the road), I don’t want to put all my eggs in one basket, and limit myself to just one BOL. I would like to have more than one BOL and group for if and when I’m in that part of the country the sky happens to fall. I don’t want to have to drive 2K miles to get to my nearest BOL. I’d like to have something closer by and under those circumstances, it would have to be in more than one place.

That being said, there is yet one more reason to consider. What if your primary BOL gets destroyed beyond repair? What if you get hit by a dirty bomb and you have to evacuate your own BOL? In this scenario, you had better hoped you networked with others and established alternative plans in case you now have to move to function in a different AO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts