Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Survivorman
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure you guys all know but i didnt see it any where so I posted it. A good rule for boiling water to purify it is to remember this "Big bubbles no troubles" the bigger the bubbles are the safer it is to drink. Once you have a good rolling boil it should be safe to drink. Before you boil water try to get stuff out like bugs and leaves. To do that use a Tshirt and pour water through it. I have a millbank bag thats designed to remove big stuff like bugs and leaves etc.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
afterboil starts add 1min per 1000' elevation---or so i was taught,use t shirt-or- cotton pillow case to strain unwanted fiber and protien

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Good post.
Thanks for the heads up on the millbank bag.
Don't think I'd seen that.

·
Survivorman
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
afterboil starts add 1min per 1000' elevation---or so i was taught,use t shirt-or- cotton pillow case to strain unwanted fiber and protien
Yeah big bubbles no troubles once the bubbles from boiling are a good size its safe to say its drinkable. In survival school they teach to add another minute but that just means it takes longer to boil. The millbank bag is used by the British military, (spent forever tryng to find one). It does a better job than a tshirt and pillow because its very finely woven.

·
Good Bye
1,808 Posts
I always wondered about that after some of the food prep and safety courses that I've had to take in the past when I was a cook.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
thanks robert,always lookin to learn,especially when im in error

·
Registered
875 Posts
This does not remove heavy metals like mercury and chemical additives like flouride and chlorine this should be used as a last resort method only. FYI FYI FYI (Call me Johnny-warning-label).

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
The boiling point of water at sea level is 212 deg F. (100 deg C.) The following quote is from the following site.

http://www.yosemite.org/naturenotes/Giardia.htm

Boiling is usually inconvenient, but if you are preparing hot water for meals anyway, you may as well take advantage. Giardia cysts are highly susceptible to heat, and simply bringing water to 150° F. for five minutes, to 176° for a minute, or 190° momentarily, will kill them. But boiling for a few minutes at altitude is usually recommended because of the other organisms that may be present. At 10,000 feet elevation, water boils at 194°; at 14,000 feet, 187°.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts