Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to step up my game for water this year.Being in SWFL,everyone has a pool,so that is an option.I spent the weekend going thru the thousands of posts on here about processing pool water.A lot of them mentioned boiling it also...so my question is....

Does it matter if you boil first,then filter....or... filter,then boil?

Seems like a simple question,but I bet its not so simple?

·
Registered
12,656 Posts
Boiling will remove some of the chemicals and obviously kill anything living in it, then I would run it through a washed sand and charcoal filter. If a pool is maintained properly it should be palatable, to begin with, seeing it's is possible to get this water in your mouth. Sand and charcoal will remove the taste.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,699 Posts
It's only biologically safe if it was recently shocked and covered. If recently shocked then it's got a lot of chlorine compounds.

Better to think of a pool as a much cleaner pond on your property.

Reactions: cook

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Zeke,yes,thats why it will go thru a filter,sawyer,berkley,or even RO if I hit the lottery..but boiling is just another saftey step...
...so,the question was...
boil then fiter,or,filter then boil,...any difference?

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,699 Posts
Zeke,yes,thats why it will go thru a filter,sawyer,berkley,or even RO if I hit the lottery..but boiling is just another saftey step...
...so,the question was...
boil then fiter,or,filter then boil,...any difference?
No difference. Only one is needed, Sawyer or boil. Then put it through activated carbon.

Reactions: cook

·
Paratrooper X
3,537 Posts
Chorine or boiling, do those first to kill bacteria. Problem is a lot of bacteria have a nasty habit of secreting toxins when they die, so you need to filter LAST.

You will often hear about municipalities issuing a "No BOIL" order. Thats because the water has one of those bacteria that secrets toxins after dying.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Related question. Would one need to sanitize pond/ stream water before using it to wash your face and body? We have beavers.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,699 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts