Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Are these freshwater crayfish?

If so, in England many rivers are now full of an invasive species of crayfish that is wiping out our native ones.
These invasive crayfish are the American Signal Crayfish, it's a lot bigger than our native crayfish, can live in less pure rivers and carries a virus that kills the native kind.

Do you remove the black thread that runs over its back like you do with prawns?

I noticed they were heavily seasoned, did each pan contain a different flavour?

Lastly, if the crayfish were bought how much did they cost?

Lots of questions.
YB.:)

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are these freshwater crayfish?
Yes, there is a salt water kind?

Do you remove the black thread that runs over its back like you do with prawns?
Usually, yes

I noticed they were heavily seasoned, did each pan contain a different flavour?
With every cooking, the guy was adding a bag of boil mix. So they crawfish will have more seasoning with every pot.

Lastly, if the crayfish were bought how much did they cost?
Dont know how much they cost.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yum, Yabbies!

And if you were going to buy those in a restaurant, you'd be paying several hundred dollars for the contents of one of those pots.

What sort of net did you use?

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yum, Yabbies!

And if you were going to buy those in a restaurant, you'd be paying several hundred dollars for the contents of one of those pots.

What sort of net did you use?
These were bought, but they were caught with traps. Here in texas, people have turned fields into crawfish farms.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Lucky Texas!

I've feasted on them in Australia but in Britain the situation isn't so good. Introduced American Crawfish have spread a fungus which is wiping out native stocks so trapping is only by licence to try and slow the spread of the fungus. :(

They surely are some of the best eating there is, and it's a great feeling to chuck a few nets in and then haul out a big catch a few hours later, fresh, healthy, delicious and free! What can top that?

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Yes, there is a salt water kind?

Usually, yes

With every cooking, the guy was adding a bag of boil mix. So they crawfish will have more seasoning with every pot.

Dont know how much they cost.
Sorry but the word crawfish isn't used in "English English" to describe crayfish, so I wasn't sure if you were talking about a saltwater species such as something like langoustine.

They looked totally delicious and I'll ask my angling club if they have American Signal Crayfish in our river. If so I'll get some traps and try and get some.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
I just picked up 5 traps today !!!!! Going to test the waters of the Green River plus some local ponds ..........................MMMMMMM

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
add some sausage and onions and you'd have a good low country boil! we use either crawdads or shrimp...usually shrimp, easier to get here.

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
KEV.....
Come 'on !!!!!
No video of you suckin' on that head?
We are gonna have to yank the honorary ******* title I previously gave to you!!:D:D:D

·
Registered
245 Posts
They looked totally delicious and I'll ask my angling club if they have American Signal Crayfish in our river. If so I'll get some traps and try and get some.
If you do decide to do that, make sure you get a licence first. Otherwise you could be fined £2500 per net! (And that is yet more proof of what an overbearing nanny/police state we are becoming :mad: )

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
If there are American signal crayfish in there then I'll inquire about trapping them.

From what understand the licence fee is fairly nominal, I'm quite in with the club and maybe they would pay the fee for me to do it (he says hopefully:)).

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yes, the licence fee is small. But the penalty is very big.

Considering that the American crayfish is a pest you'd think they would be glad to see them trapped, but any excuse to have another rule to enforce and fine to collect i suppose....

·
Banned
642 Posts
When I lived in East Texas I might not have liked it much. (I had alot of BAD LUCK there) but I do miss the food!

Yumm crawl fish!

I can't get Bo-dan (sp?) up here in Detroit.

Than again when I was in Texas I couldn't always get the more northern ethnic food I like either.

Now I'm hungry!

:p

I used to see the umm shall we say poorer people of color in East Texas where I lived dregging the ditches along the roads look for crawfish all the time. I doubt any of them had a license for it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts