Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an Emergency Alert on my phone this morning...my town is on a Boil Water notice until further notice due to e coli. Although I have some water on hand, I decided to head to the store to grab some more as they gave no notice of when this might resolve and since I live in an apartment, I don't have as much water on hand as I would like.

Store was already packed despite my going straight there. No carts available, but a man leaving the store gave me his cart. It was crazy. I grabbed a couple cases just as they brought another huge pallet and then helped some of the older folks in the crowd by grabbing a couple cases for them as well. One lady didn't understand what I meant when I had a case in my hands and asked if she wanted it. I guess nobody does stuff like that in these situations anymore. I imagine it is what things looked like when they finally brought out a case of toilet paper a couple years ago. They had no limits and some people had 2 carts full.

But...at least now I know why my partner, myself, and my step daughter have all felt "off" lately. We don't drink tap water, but we do wash our dishes, etc with town water. Biggest bummer is that I had just finished doing the dishes...now I have to re-do them!!! Damn.

·
Badass Moderator 🤷
9,933 Posts
A small municipality around here had a boil order for a week or so. Our store was absolutely overrun. Mind you there are several Wal-Marts around us (3 within less than 10 miles), Sam's Clubs (4 within 15 miles), along with other grocery stores (Wal-Mart Neighborhood Marts, Cash Savers, Aldis) and God knows how many convenience stores.

It was a nightmare. We don't have any control over demand. And we get deliveries, yeah, but it's not like DoorDash ... Sheesh ... I've been a bartender and I never had to deal with temper tantrums like I did that week. On top of that, after the order was lifted we had people coming back in wanting refunds on cases of water. 🙄🙄🙄

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paper plates, cups and plastic utensils for the duration of the boil water notice (with maybe an extra day). Toss them.

wipes for ‘bathing’.

And toss out all your ice from the ice maker in the fridge for several days to make sure all the bad water is through the fridge line.
Thanks...I hadn't thought of paper plates, etc. So much easier. I tossed the ice as soon as I got the order. Not looking forward to the bathing situation. Although I can always shower at work so I guess that's not a huge deal.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Felling "Off" is not Ecoli. I've had Ecoli. you would know it if you had it. pissing blood and not being able to stand are the first clues. Just sayin'...
You can also look up on the CDC website for your county and see exactly how many cases and where and when every Ecoli case was reported if you are worried.

·
Registered
17,233 Posts
But...at least now I know why my partner, myself, and my step daughter have all felt "off" lately. We don't drink tap water, but we do wash our dishes, etc with town water.
Ummmm....that is not why you feel "off". E.Coli doesn't just make you feel "off".

Oops....posting at the same time as gungatim...

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
This is why you keep water filters on hand. Any good ceramic-and-carbon filter will remove E. coli, doesn't rely on having available electricity or fuel, and you can find someplace to put a gravity urn even in an apartment.

Bacteria are easy to filter out of water. Viruses are more of a problem, and many chemical contaminants are a real problem, but bacteria are relatively large and easily removed.

And as you just discovered, relying on being able to stock up on bottled water when you suddenly need clean water is a **** poor prepping plan. (And even if you have somewhere to stock up a pile of water bottles, water doesn't store well in those plastic bottles for more than a year.)

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Felling "Off" is not Ecoli. I've had Ecoli. you would know it if you had it. pissing blood and not being able to stand are the first clues. Just sayin'...
You can also look up on the CDC website for your county and see exactly how many cases and where and when every Ecoli case was reported if you are worried.
I've had e.coli, too. I didn't urinate blood and I was able to stand, but it was the sickest I've been in a very long time.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Thanks...I hadn't thought of paper plates, etc. So much easier.
If you go that route, at least be kind to the environment and use uncoated paper plates and chopsticks/bamboo forks and spoons.

However, for any length of time, washing with filtered water/sanitizing with bleach/boiling water like grandma did will take up a lot less storage space and provide a lot less encouragement for rodents and other vermin to infest the place, especially in situations where garbage collection has become as iffy as water supply.

And get a water filter. Americans are now throwing away around 50 billion plastic water bottles every year, around 40 billion of which are not getting recycled. So now you need to filter your tap water for microplastics even when it's supposedly safe to drink,

·
Capability, not scenarios
12,784 Posts
Thanks...I hadn't thought of paper plates, etc. So much easier. I tossed the ice as soon as I got the order. Not looking forward to the bathing situation. Although I can always shower at work so I guess that's not a huge deal.
Paper and plastic goods are part of my prepping water plan. If I don't have to wash them, I don't need to use water. I have a few hundred paper plates and several boxes of plastic utensils. Lots of plastic cups, napkins, paper towels, and so on.

Reactions: Wyomike and Stwood

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
But let's also remember that not everyone who gets e.coli gets extremely ill.

I got caught by that Romaine outbreak a few years back. My husband eats more salads than I do, I really don't care for them, and he ate a much larger serving. He didn't get sick at all while I was miserable with diarrhea and vomiting for 5 days.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Paper and plastic goods are part of my prepping water plan. If I don't have to wash them, I don't need to use water. I have a few hundred paper plates and several boxes of plastic utensils. Lots of plastic cups, napkins, paper towels, and so on.
Same here. If we have a well go done, we sure don't want to use our stored water for dish washing. Maybe just the pans.

Reactions: goose3
1 - 20 of 24 Posts