Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now before you guys chuckle, I have an old hand cart I bought from a local Lowe's store sitting around. It is steel construction and I can lift it with the palm of my hand and it is very sleek and does not take up much room...

I came to thinking of all the weight I have with my regular BOB, winter BOB, assorted tools in a small tool box, heavy jacket, rain jacket, binoculors, and some other stuff and what if...

What if my vehicle became disabled from an EMP attack or checkpoints ahead and no way around and I had to ditch the BOV and walk over 150 miles home?

My BOB along weighs 50 lbs... plus the winter BOB small bag and what I mentioned above, boy I will be weighed down. The concern is with all of this weight on my back and hands, I could lose balance easily and get hurt, buckle my knees with the weight (getting old ya know!) or roll-over an ankle stepping on a rock or root I could not see walking...

And what if I was spotted, could I get all of this gear off of me quick enough to run for cover? What if the threat was immediate and I had time to only run. Good luck with a full ALICE pack right?

Enter the bug out hand cart! It's sleek design means it can stuff anywhere in a pickup, even my cab but mostly up and above in the racks. I will have pics soon of my latest project so don't worry!

If I had to ditch the BOV, I could load up the hand cart and move. I could either push or pull over paved terrain or graded. But your thinking off-road right, how the heck would it do off-road?

Well no matter what, tall grasses in the wet, deep mud or water, woods or rocks, I would have to carry all of that weight anyways and risk the injuries I mentioned above! The hand cart would take the load and I would rather pull or push through the thickstuff than risk blowing out a knee or rolling over an ankle because then your done!

If the terrain was thick enough, no problem, take piece by piece off and move it out and go back and the cart still weighs next to little...

Also if I was spotted, I could easily ditch the cart into the grasses or woods and run to safety! Again try and get the ALICE pack, etc... off quickly without fumbling over, etc... in a panic!

And if I was resting in the bushes and a threat was coming, the cart is loaded and ready to go unlike trying to get the pack, etc... loaded up and moving quickly! Time could mean survival...

I will have pics soon and I changed the plastic 8" wheels for steel ones for now and I am planning taller, skinny wheels for better ground clearance and traction in the deep stuff and to rig it to a bike like a goose-neck to below the seat where it would clamp into place for bike transport.

I looked at a collapsable aluminum one but then again fussing with the attachements to get it right and weaker points with those collapsing points plus aluminum did not sit well with me.

A cart like in the movie 'The Road' would be great but then again how do you get it to collapse and take up less room than my hand cart?

Anybody else think of ways to transport goods if your had to ditch your vehicle?

·
Registered
610 Posts
I've been eying this cart for a while now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Jumbo-Wagon-Hau...860?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20bc09abb4

haven't purchased it as its not in the budget just yet.

will hold over 1300 lbs, so basically anything you can throw on it or move, it will hold. All kinds of food/supplies, and the sides make for large items easily with some straps/bungees. maybe even a tired kid on top.

Sides can also be used for a big fish net, or even hooked up to make some sort of trap or fence

it itself is heavy though, at 71lbs, but i imagine it rolls easy with those tires, even over off-road terrain. And then there's the possible need to patch the pneumatic tire as well.

I'm still up in the air about buying it....... has tons of pros, but a few cons as well.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
I've been eying this cart for a while now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Jumbo-Wagon-Hau...860?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20bc09abb4

haven't purchased it as its not in the budget just yet.

will hold over 1300 lbs, so basically anything you can throw on it or move, it will hold. All kinds of food/supplies, and the sides make for large items easily with some straps/bungees. maybe even a tired kid on top.

Sides can also be used for a big fish net, or even hooked up to make some sort of trap or fence

it itself is heavy though, at 71lbs, but i imagine it rolls easy with those tires, even over off-road terrain. And then there's the possible need to patch the pneumatic tire as well.

I'm still up in the air about buying it....... has tons of pros, but a few cons as well.
can get that same thing cheaper at tractor supply and most likly lowes.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
for a cart consider emt. its easy to bend and its strong. yuo can build a 2 wheel cart pretty cheaply with emt.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Bicycle-cargo-trailer--200-lb-capacity,-$30-for-pa/

do some minor design changes to raise it for better ground clearance. make it to where two people would make it easy to pull it and also consider making a harness for it.

·
Why? Because I can...
99 Posts
Here’s a thought, I have an over-all bug out plan that has one option that includes a bicycle. For that bicycle I picked up a trailer to stow my BOB/survival bag. Most utility bike trailers weigh very little and will haul 180 pounds. I however picked up a child trailer that converts to a jogging stroller. Not great off road but usable, and it uses 16” bicycle wheels and moves with little effort even loaded.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Check out http://dixonrollerpack.com/ They make a 50lb model and a 100lb model. They feature a single wheel which is good for rough trails and a hip belt so your hands are free. There are some videos of this cart on their website. You can also get a ski attachment for snow. One other nice feature is the the entire system retracts into a compact unit so you can pick up your pack and carry everything on your back if you want to.

You can purchase them through the link above or through http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/971844

Price is $295

I've never used a cart before but I have this on my list in case I ever decide to.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,417 Posts
A cart of any sort is better than carrying it all on your back. Since most people will stick to some type of a road, rolling to load just make good sense.

Some carts have small wheels and sit lower to the ground. They suggest you would ave to weave around obsticles.

Some carts have pnumatic wheels which could/will get flats.

Game carts typically have large, heavy solid rubber wheels and sit far enough off the ground they can pass over most stuff.

·
Banned
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here’s a thought, I have an over-all bug out plan that has one option that includes a bicycle. For that bicycle I picked up a trailer to stow my BOB/survival bag. Most utility bike trailers weigh very little and will haul 180 pounds. I however picked up a child trailer that converts to a jogging stroller. Not great off road but usable, and it uses 16” bicycle wheels and moves with little effort even loaded.
A bike cannot go everywhere especially trying to keep balance at very slow speed over rough terrain...

Getting off the bike and walking it will be common...

·
"Normal" is an illusion
370 Posts
Amazon.com: Big Game GC3000 500lb Multi Purpose Cart: Sports & Outdoors

I bought this game cart. It came in the mail and it's great! Very sturdy with straps and harness to pull.
I'm thinking about making a bicycle trailer hitch to pull this with a bike that goes just underneath the seat.
Oh and it folds/collapses up very neatly too. Holds 500 lbs and great no puncture wheels.

·
Banned
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is an update on the bug out hand cart:

I painted it tan and removed the plastic 8 inch wheels for heavier steel wheels that will be much stronger and will not crack.

Next plan is to get larger diameter wheels for additional ground clearance and easier to manage rough terrain and keep them skinny like the current steel wheels...

Sorry for the fuzzy pics, camera is old.

This pic shows it almost fully loaded, missing are bungee cords/rope and other gear like heavy winter jacket, rain jacket, binoculors and other gear I can fit on it...

This is my small tool chest I carry in the BOV every day. It keeps the tools organized and in one location and is durable to handle the weight. Tools include small ax, bolt-cutters, tin snips, foilage cutters, pry bar, scissors, batteries, pliers, zip-ties, flashlights, matches and anything else I can fit in there.

Tool chest is above, my fully operational BOB is in the midle, classic ALICE pack full of gear for 5 days. External attachements include rollup air bed, collapsable shovel multi-tool and platoon medic bag for first-aid. It weighs close to 50 lbs. itself.

Below that is my winter BOB full of extra gloves, winter caps, one of those Russian style winter hats, ice fishing longer gloves, ****ies for the neck, scarfs, long thermal underwear, extra wool socks, ski or face mask...

Not pictured for surviving the cold nights are my heavy winter really large coat (can overlap many layers of clothing and still fit fine and loose), older but still works rain jacket and carhart winter pants that will fit over blue-jeans. I am also planning to carry extra winter style boots that will keep feet warm, etc...

Below that is the small blue plastic container that houses the bungee cords and ropes, etc... to keep the gear attached to the cart. It also can house other stuff again keeps it in one location...

Picture of the plastic wheels that were replaced for the stronger steel wheels...those too wil be replaced with larger diameter small bike-type wheels...

Future plans include hooking up the cart to a bike with a goose-neck type system below the seat and act like pulling a trailer...

Other future plans include shoulder strap/waist strap system if bike not available...

Again trying to carry even just the BOB puts all that weight on your back which could cause loss of balance, buckle weaker knees like I have or sprain an ankle tripping over rocks or roots out there...

Now imagine if you get spotted or had to move quickly with all of that weight on your back? Plus the cart will be loaded and ready to go so if you rest for the day, etc... and a situation presents itself, you can move quickly insteade of wasting all of that time trying to load yourself back up! Also you could easily dump the cart in the trees/grasses if you had to run much easier than trying to again unload yourself...

Also not mentioned are weapons that will be carried like rifles/bows and knives, etc... keep adding the weight. The cart could haul the other gear while the weapons remain on you for quick access!

Also not pictured is a small shelter tent type system like a pup tent...

The bug out hand cart is slim and light weight and can fit easily anywhere in or on my BOV especially on the ladder rack or roof basket I am planning over the cab. It can fit inside the cab or even attach itself to the front or rear bumpers!

All of this gear (except BOB, which comes on longer trips out of town, kept in cool/dry storage, vehicles tend to get really warm during the summer months) is kept in the BOV every day, every hour! Have to be ready like a fireman is for a fire call...

·
Banned
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Amazon.com: Big Game GC3000 500lb Multi Purpose Cart: Sports & Outdoors

I bought this game cart. It came in the mail and it's great! Very sturdy with straps and harness to pull.
I'm thinking about making a bicycle trailer hitch to pull this with a bike that goes just underneath the seat.
Oh and it folds/collapses up very neatly too. Holds 500 lbs and great no puncture wheels.
That is a nice cart, how much and who makes it?

For now I had this hand cart that was used for a move, so I simply put it to use insteade of collecting dust. Maybe as a bug out hand cart for the wife and the other cart for me and we could almost double carrying capacity!

HAHA, I clicked on the link...

·
Registered
734 Posts
If you're serious about it I would get a Jogging stroller for a baby and rig it. They turn on a dime and with actual tires they can handle terrain. You're technically not supposed to put more than like 50lbs in em though.

·
Gettin' there
764 Posts
Well, don't laugh too hard, but I have an aluminum golf bag cart, purchased at a pawn shop for 15 dollars. It is sturdy, lightweight, and the wheels spread wide for travel, but will collapse in to create a narrow cart for tight places.

I bought a small lightweight stock pot and put on the bottom (to boil water or cook in) . In the pot I have water bottles, my hatchet, and other items stored. BOB straps onto the upper frame. It pulls easily, and is very sturdy. I am in the process of making a "rain jacket" for it that will slip over the whole thing with handle sticking out. I have a possible 180 miles to travel home/BOL at any given time, same concerns as OP in being able to get there and carry a pack. I do have a bicycle and considering making it so it will hook on behind, but thinking I'd be fare game to knock off the bike and take everything. A bit more able to defend one's self on foot.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I use a game cart. Designed for heavy weights in the forest.

I also intend to use my game cart even though I could carry the load on my back. I can move much easier and more safely pulling the weight rather than carrying it. I could react to danger much faster without a huge pack on my back. I can also carry more weight in a cart than I would want to carry on my person. You need large diameter tires to negotiate rough terrain. Little ones will get stuck on everything.

I am considering a mountain bike that I would walk with and rarely ride, as I believe it could negotiate rougher terrain easier than my game cart. The NVA used bikes to carry huge loads for very long distances by pushing them. They carried things like 200lbs of rice, mortar base plates and tubes, and anything else they needed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oxi, couldn't tell from the picture but would you have the clearance to use like 12" solid rubber kids bike wheels, or would you need to extend the axles. Also like the golf cart idea have seen that they do have adjustable wheel width but forgot about them so I got myself a game cart. Now that I have it , it works for me and is semi-adaptable too.

·
Banned
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will need to keep them as skinny as the ones I have on right now but 12 inches should be no problem...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Taking the slightly off topic trend and applying it to the bicycle cart theory I want to introduce you to the one site that somehow has stolen untold hours of my time perusing it's pages. Of course the search string can easily be modified to dig up whatever you like. Prior to clicking the link consider the following. Prepare your favorite beverage, snack, and a comfortable chair. You have been warned. ;-)

Instructables.com

1 - 20 of 56 Posts