Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking in a couple of different websites (us cavalry.com being one of them) for body armor but when you click on the item there is a note saying that you have to provide proof that you are in the military or LE..Is this somehting new? I thought civilians could purchase body armor...

·
Registered
750 Posts
I believe they are classified as a class 3 item, just like supressors, short barrel rifles and shotguns, and select fire weapons. You may ahve to fill out a form that is sent in for approval before getting it.

Do note that most body armor won't even begin to stop any rifle worth mentioning. Because it limits mobility, is heavy, and hot, it's probably a bad choice for any sort of mobile application, however if you are traveling by vehicle or defending your home, where you can haul it easily, and strap up if you anticipate trouble, ti coudl be worthwhile. Get a plate carrier and plates that will stop at least a .308.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Armor is heavy,hot,reduces your ability to run,flex and .556 SS109 62 gr. penetrator steel core rounds shoot right through it. Save some money and get fit,run and run some more. Learn how to shoot accuratley while moving and you will ahead of the game.

·
Twinkies
1,741 Posts
Was looking in a couple of different websites (us cavalry.com being one of them) for body armor but when you click on the item there is a note saying that you have to provide proof that you are in the military or LE..Is this somehting new? I thought civilians could purchase body armor...
Its funny that the guy who invented it did so for civilian use. :rolleyes:

http://infidelbodyarmor.com/index.p...oducts_id=24&zenid=1ppc72h3ss9nee9d89amu4mtj2

As long as they don't shoot you anywhere that counts. Still the weight could be a problem.

·
Learning
6,614 Posts
Body armor is not class 3...there are lots of discussion on here about plates off of ebay that stop rifle rounds. There are even youtube video tests of the plates off of ebay.

It is true that some companies will not sell without a PO on military of LEO letterhead; that is why you should pay cash (local gun board, craigslist, pawn shop) or buy off ebay or gunbroker.

Soft body armor stops many pistol rounds, but you need the hard plates to stop rifles.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Armor is heavy,hot,reduces your ability to run,flex and .556 SS109 62 gr. penetrator steel core rounds shoot right through it. Save some money and get fit,run and run some more. Learn how to shoot accuratley while moving and you will ahead of the game.
AR500.com, 1/2 inch thick steel plates that will stop multiple hits of 7.62x51 and ss109 with ease, they cost 85$ and are 7.5lbs.

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
SKD requires a copy of your CCW and a notarized statement from you, or LE letterhead. This is nothing new.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
AR500.com, 1/2 inch thick steel plates that will stop multiple hits of 7.62x51 and ss109 with ease, they cost 85$ and are 7.5lbs.
The math is faulty. Steel plate 10 x 12 1/2" thick would weigh 17 lbs.
Also, it can't be used as is as the bullet may ricochet and hit one in the chin.

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
The math is faulty. Steel plate 10 x 12 1/2" thick would weigh 17 lbs.
Also, it can't be used as is as the bullet may ricochet and hit one in the chin.
Spray it with truck-bed liner. Real thick. I've heard this works, but yeah, it's pretty ghetto and "the world has ended...it's all I have, so I did it" type stuff.

·
Peacemaker....
538 Posts
++++1 to ar500armor! I currently use the ar500 plate with beveled curve and advanced shooters cut (the corner is cut at a steeper angle so i can shoulder my rifle without hitting the plate). Take a length of kevlar and sew it into a sleeve to catch spall. the only reason i am a true believer in this is because my friend ordered one, got the wrong size. We took it out and shot at it from 10 feet away with a Mosin Nagant. Then we shot it with AK's (1 thirty mag). Then we shot it with a .40. then we shot it with a 9 millimeter. we emptied every mag. The front was dirty as heck but we flipped it over and nothing! no penetration or cracks! there is nothing ghetto about it at all. and it does only weigh 7.5 lbs. I think they are about $120 now and i had to wait 2 months after ordering, but i don't mind for a company in Arizona. Go to AR500armor.com they even have there own videos. And NO there is no legislation anywhere saying civi's can not buy body armor. it is some companies policies to only sell to the "Authorities".

·
OathKeeper
535 Posts
^^ Got a couple Operator IIs. Not gonna lie, with mag pouches loaded, it's heavy (even without). Floored by vid after vid of their performance. Gotta get used to the weight with Camelbak and so on. Gonna take a while! I also wanted to get it because civilian ownership can and probably will come to an end soon.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts