Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Body armor may be a serious issue in a post apocalyptic world. You may want to wear it every day, and you may encounter aggressors that wear it, too.

There is very little public research about how well affordable (surplus) body armor really works. So I spent 50 Euros for a used ex-German police vest. It matches the IIIA protection class (protects against handguns, but not rifles, and protects against knife stabbing too).

Then I put it around a tree trunk and tested several practical weapons against it. Slingshots, a katana, my famous Zombie hammer, even a compound bow (converted into a homemade crossbow). I was very surprised -none of these weapons could pierce the fairly light vest (2kg). The only thing that did work was my throwing knife shooter.

See for yourself:

Of course newer vests may work a lot better (this one is based on Kevlar inlays), but let's be realistic: Who can afford 500 dollar gear as an item of SHTF prepardness. These surplus products are affordable, and in plentiful supply. I can recommend them, clearly.

·
it is what it is
3,702 Posts
ive always wanted some body armour but for the price verse the semi short expire dates,just cost to much.

zombie hammer with skull ejector lol not as impressive as the knife gun,looked like some major power there.

·
Registered
978 Posts
ive always wanted some body armour but for the price verse the semi short expire dates,just cost to much.

zombie hammer with skull ejector lol not as impressive as the knife gun,looked like some major power there.
Just so you know the expiration on vests is more of a warning than an actual exp date.

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
A 12 or 20 gauge fully rifled barrel firing a hard cast sabo slug or copper solid will defeat most body armor, good thing the muslims are not fond of shotguns.

·
I AM A SHEEPDOG
209 Posts
A 12 or 20 gauge fully rifled barrel firing a hard cast sabo slug or copper solid will defeat most body armor, good thing the muslims are not fond of shotguns.
A level 3a soft body armor will stop buck shot and any hard plate insert will stop a 10 or 12 gauge slug. They are require to take multiple hits.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't get body armour tbh in a SHTF scenario. If somebody is wearing a vest surely you'd just shoot them in the legs or arms? In normal society you get shot in the arm/leg you get taken to hospital and looked after.

But in SHTF this facility won't be avalible.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Flak Jackets are also worth considering. The pre-kevlar models use ballistic nylon which works well but also shields the wearer from feeling the impact well.
Here was a quick test with my old Northern Ireland flak jacket.

I've seen a vid where a guy shot one with a crossbow and used a really nasty spike on one and couldn't get through.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,603 Posts
I have part of a IIIA that I plan on shooting with some things in a month or so. I guess crossbow will have to be on my list.
There is a printed warning on mine that says it will not protect against pointed or sharp edged objects.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts