Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Dont Tread On Me
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking for either an inexspensive plate armor or soft ballistic armor for shtf. what are some ideas for easy inexspensive way to MAKE armor, or where can i buy reasonably priced body armor, is there a mil-surp option?

·
semper in angaria
1,574 Posts
This is one of those things where you get what you pay for. That being said, I would check guns shows providing body armor is legal where you live.

·
Troublesome.
1,333 Posts
Yeah, gotta echo whats already been said; this is the wrong place to try and save money. As far as making it . . . its not all that difficult if you have a fabrication shop. I think what would prove problematic would be wearing it - if you plan on it being resistive to much more than mouse gun ammo . . from a distance. ;)

·
Weed 'em and reap
30,349 Posts
The most significant problem with body armour is that the technology has been outpaced by the projectile.

In the the ancient world and through the middle ages, armour and weapons technology were perpetually keeping pace with each other. By the end of the 16th century, however, weapons technology so far outpaced the armour that the armour either provided negligible benefit, or was necessarily, for the first time in history, cripplingly cumbersome.

Today, they make vests which, if used in conjunction with ceramic rifle plates, have some chance of stopping a .223/5.56. The only problem with that is that just about every deer hunter in the country has a .308 or a .30-06 or something in that neighborhood. I'm actually pondering buying a .444 Marlin lever gun that I saw at the local used gun store specifically to fill a light anti-materiel role.

With those kinds of calibers in the hands of average everyday people, I have little ambition to go beyond the level II vest that I picked up a number of years ago when I was contemplating becoming an EMT in the the city.

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
Check out Bulletproofme.com They have old kevlar panels for sale, they still work. Put them in a carrier and call it good 'nuf. Or buy a kevlar PAGST flak, they can stop a 9mm/45, seen it done. Theyre heavy, theyre outer vests- which means you can cool down when 'safe' zone. You can also check ebay. Cops are issued vests every 5 yrs to satisfy lawyers. The kevlars have been proven to remain good for decades. That said, STAY AWAY FROM ZYLON FIBERS!!!

·
Registered
562 Posts
The most significant problem with body armour is that the technology has been outpaced by the projectile.

In the the ancient world and through the middle ages, armour and weapons technology were perpetually keeping pace with each other. By the end of the 16th century, however, weapons technology so far outpaced the armour that the armour either provided negligible benefit, or was necessarily, for the first time in history, cripplingly cumbersome.

Today, they make vests which, if used in conjunction with ceramic rifle plates, have some chance of stopping a .223/5.56. The only problem with that is that just about every deer hunter in the country has a .308 or a .30-06 or something in that neighborhood. I'm actually pondering buying a .444 Marlin lever gun that I saw at the local used gun store specifically to fill a light anti-materiel role.

With those kinds of calibers in the hands of average everyday people, I have little ambition to go beyond the level II vest that I picked up a number of years ago when I was contemplating becoming an EMT in the the city.
You're very mis-informed.

There are multiple options out there now that will stop up to 30-06 AP in body armour (one round).

These "Level IV" plates will take up to 6 hits from a .308 non AP. I'd call that sufficient.

However, they are very heavy to carry around all day and restrict movement and overall mobility.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
One more of those "You get what you pay for replies". I would be leary of purchasing a used vest. I replace mine every 5-6 years irregardless of if it was "used" or not even though I wear it under my closthes and minimize exposure to the sun. Never store it in a vehicle where it will see elevated temps in the summer time. This is hard on them and will degrade them over time. The trama plates do not need to be replaced unless they have been actually "used".

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Take a good look online about your options. There are only certain ones available to regular civilians. A 6" barreled .357 magnum can go through almost all of the civilians ones out there. A deer hunting rifle, some pistol caliber lever guns, and almost any military rifle with the right ammo can poke holes clearly though it. In most cases non-magnum pistol calibers are only deflected.

I think box of truth has some info with videos on the subject.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
god not this thread again...

Reactions: Heckler&Coke

·
Registered
43 Posts
The question is whether you want to stop rifle rounds or pistol rounds?

There are no worthwhile inexpensive options. As sachson said, bulletproofme.com is an awesome site to not only purchase from, but also learn about different body armor options. You can spend upwards of $1,500 for high quality vest with rifle plates.

If you have the money for it, body armor is great, but IMO I think there are much more beneficial things to spend your money on...training, weapons, preps, etc.

·
Registered
199 Posts
You're very mis-informed.

There are multiple options out there now that will stop up to 30-06 AP in body armour (one round).

These "Level IV" plates will take up to 6 hits from a .308 non AP. I'd call that sufficient.

However, they are very heavy to carry around all day and restrict movement and overall mobility.
Thank you for setting him straight. If anyone wants more info on body armor, how it is tested, etc the NIJ is the group that sets the standards, Level 1, 2, 3, etc for body armor for law enforcement.

Just a quick bit of info, level 2 stops some pistol rounds, level 3 stops all pistol rounds (I'm not 100% sure on .50 cal pistols actually), lvl 4 is what you would compare to military armor, can stop rifle rounds.

Depending on the plate setup and a bit of luck is how many rounds they can stop. Once 1 rifle round hits that plate in a lvl 4 vest the plate will shatter. Depending on all the details on the impact and future impacts will lead to whether or not the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc rounds will be stopped.

Dragon skin armor apparently solves that issue, I've only seen test footage of it but it seems amazing.

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
1.) You get what you pay for.

2.) Most flak vests, PASGT included, will not stop 9mm or 45, and if they do, the impact is likely to break ribs and cause internal bleeding and damage.

3.) If you want rifle protection, get rifle plates, and make sure to get trauma backing and support. Don't go cheap. If you want handgun protection, get soft armor that's actually in use by police. Don't go cheap.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The OP was looking for 'inexpensive plate armor or soft ballistic armor', so it sounds like he is like me and doesn't want to blow $500+ per person for armor, yet wants something. Here is what I've found in my searches:

1. There are 8X8 armor plates on Ebay that appear to handle multiple rounds of 5.56 & 7.62, but will not stop a 30-06, at least at close range. They appear to be pretty much steel plates, so I would expect some degree of pain from the edges of the panel, but that's better than pain from a round shutting obliterating your ticker. They have inserts that will hold the plate centered in a 10x12 plate holder. When combined w/ a fairly good plate carrier, you can have a rig set up for ~$150. You obviously don't get side protection or even stomach protection outside of the money shot, but it will protect the ticker from everything but the big rounds.

2. Ebay also has level 3A kevlar vests for ~$250. If your concern is a close-up pistol shot, these appear to be a good solution. They give good coverage across the entire torso, but can't handle the rifle rounds.

I have been pondering both of these options. However, I'm leaning towards the first solution. If the vest was level3, then I'd be thinking otherwise. However, I cannot see dropping that much coin on a solution geared towards close-quarters pistol shots when there is equal chance that the thug will go for the head shot. So, what's left is how to guard against the longer shot, which will probably be aimed at the ticker. Given the proliferation of AR/AKs out there, I'm pretty comfortable w/ that level of armor. After all, it someone is throwing a 30-06 round my way, I'm probably toast regardless.

As you can see, my mind is not yet set on what, if anything, I'm doing. However, I wanted to share what I've found, since I'm in a similar boat.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
For a low cost but heavy solution bulletproofme.com has steel level III stand alone plates that will stop 7.62 NATO ball and 7.62x39 steel core. They also have photos of one of their steel plates that was shot with .223 fmj, 5.56 SS-109 ( same as US M855 with the penetrator), 7.62x39 and 7.62 NATO. The same plate was used for all these rounds and none penetrated. Only the 7.62 NATO round produced even a slight dent.

edited to add: testing distance was 25 yards.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts