Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Standing by to stand by
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife and I have are refining our BOB's and we've run into a little problem. We use backpack/hiking style packs to lug our gear around, and because of the way they fit, I don't think we can wear any sort of tactical vests. We both plan on using thigh holsters for our pistols, but I am going to shoulder carry my AR-15 and would like to have easy access to my magazines. My pack weighs in at around 40 lbs (85 Liter capacity) so I think I am good for around 10 more lbs on my chest.

Has anyone found a solution they can share with us? Your great ideas, as always, are much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
You can't loosen the straps enough to fit a vest on? Ours are made by TAC Force, and are mesh with pockets on the front. Three side straps connect the front and back panels. The model we ended up with has Molle slots on the back, and comes with a pistol holster on one side, three 30-round magazine pouches (AR-15/AKS size) on the other, along with three pistol mag pouches atop them. Atop the handgun holster is a second flap pouch about 6"W x 4" deep, and right at the shoulder is a pouch big enough for a GPS, cell phone, or a three-pack of good Churchill size cigars. Industrial grade front zipper, and QR straps for adjustment for "chubbies." It has ten inches of adjustment each side with the same QR straps. $70, not on sale. Also comes in black and digital camo.
We all have the same colors on our gear.

If the situation deteriorates to any extent, it helps to know what colors NOT to shoot!

Prepping for the worst, praying for the best, but ready for anything in between...

ISS

·
Registered
270 Posts
I prefer a cross draw vest.....voodoo tactical....3 ar mag pouches, pistol, and 4 pistol mag pouches. along with a small utility pouch....hydration compatable, and molle attachments on back....works for me...this way if u ever need to dump you're bob in a hurry, u atleast at a minnium will have a pistol, AR and mags...

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,576 Posts
I have yet to find a pack/vest combo that's comfortable to wear for long. The pack straps sit on top of the vest straps and cut into the shoulders, etc. I thought for a while about strapping the pack to the back of the vest, but the vests I've tried didn't distribute the weight well and the shoulder straps still cut in. I know there's a solution, but I have yet to find it. But I travel light anyway, so I guess I don't really need it.

·
Never compromise.
5,674 Posts
I would go with a "low profile" chest rig. You could carry 2-4 AR mags, a couple of pistol mags, & they really won't interfere with a backpack. You might even find a rig that will hold your pistol too. Thigh rigs can be a pain in the rear!:thumb:
You beat me to it. A low pro chest rig is my setup. Although don't be hatin on my drop leg now. :)

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
might i suggest a chest rig. something like the chicom ak rigs or the BLACKHAWK! chest pouch

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=2238331409

The straps are small enough and could easily be moved out of the way if need be. SOE micro would probably be fine also, pretty tiny thing from what i've seen. I used a chicom, just got a type 2 lifchik for my AK/BOB so im excited to try that out. I've been experimenting with making the whole thing into one big piece of kit. I already rigged my backpack to my webharness eliminating backpack straps. It works beautifully, i could put the chicoms traps-strap over the harness and tied it to the back. its light enough where i hardly notice it.

·
You ARE what you IS!
5,246 Posts
So my wife and I have are refining our BOB's and we've run into a little problem. We use backpack/hiking style packs to lug our gear around, and because of the way they fit, I don't think we can wear any sort of tactical vests. We both plan on using thigh holsters for our pistols, but I am going to shoulder carry my AR-15 and would like to have easy access to my magazines. My pack weighs in at around 40 lbs (85 Liter capacity) so I think I am good for around 10 more lbs on my chest.

Has anyone found a solution they can share with us? Your great ideas, as always, are much appreciated.

Level 4 MOLLE vest......there is the answer brother! Check Craigslist because someone is always trying to sell one. Average price is $300.00.

·
You ARE what you IS!
5,246 Posts
I prefer a cross draw vest.....voodoo tactical....3 ar mag pouches, pistol, and 4 pistol mag pouches. along with a small utility pouch....hydration compatable, and molle attachments on back....works for me...this way if u ever need to dump you're bob in a hurry, u atleast at a minnium will have a pistol, AR and mags...

Good vest but the MOLLE attachments in back only has limitations. The crossdraw is very limited if you have your MBR on a 3 point tac sling, but it is good for what it is.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would go with a "low profile" chest rig. You could carry 2-4 AR mags, a couple of pistol mags, & they really won't interfere with a backpack. You might even find a rig that will hold your pistol too. Thigh rigs can be a pain in the rear!:thumb:
Agreed. Thigh rigs are great if you are deploying out of a vehicle shooting and then getting back in (aka Trunk Monkey) but if you have to go anywhere on foot for any distance you have to thighten it up to the out that it doesn't shift and then it is cutting off your circulation. Try runnig 100 yrds and back at your local rifle range and back and see how they feel....

I would second the low-profile rig and if you are running one with a bungie retainers then you can use one of the pouches for your handgun or I would suggest that you look in to the low slung Sarfiland holsters. There are guys that are taking the belt type set up and the dropping them on a section of webbing 3-4" down off their belts. This allows for a pack waist strap to ride over the belt but places the pistol in the regular draw position only slightly lower.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Not sure how much this will help the OP, but I use a setup that is exactly what the OP is looking for, but much more heavy on the tac side, and lighter on the pack side.

Specifically, I run a DBT FAPC plate carrier (with plates) that carries 3x ar mags across the front, 2x pistol mags, tourniquet and my radio also on the front. On the left side is my med kit, on my right side is a 2x ar mag pouch, a leatherman MUT, and just for giggles, a SPOT satellite messenger.

All that crap, plus a Camelbak TriZip on my back. It's NOWHERE near the capacity of the OPs 85 liter pack (it's rated at 31 liters capacity), but it WILL easily carry the same weight or more (the harness/suspension is designed for carrying heavy things like ammo, mags, radio gear, etc.)

Throw in the sidearm on the drop leg rig on the right, and the AR hanging in either 2 or 3 point mode on the MS2 sling, and it's actually not TOO bad. Of course, as the AZ weather warms up for another summer, my opinion is bound to change, haha!

If the backpack being used by the OP isn't conducive to such a hefty setup, a chest rig of some sort might be just the ticket to at least get the bare essentials up front...

This one gives you 3x AR mags and the added bonus of level III soft armor on the front. It would easily work with just about any backpack setup I would think.

http://sgcusa.com/us-palm/armor/us-palm-defender-ar15.html

SKDTac has a crapload of options too to browse through...

http://www.skdtac.com/Chest_Rig_s/202.htm

Something else to consider if you aren't looking for more than 1-2 extra 'reloads' for the ar being quickly accessible would be putting the ammo on the gun itself.

One option would be something like a 100 round beta mag which is the same as having 3.3 AR mags already inserted in the gun (with the added bonus of no reload times to slow ya down.)

Another might be the "Redi Mag" which puts a 2nd 30 round mag on the gun in parallel with the inserted one. Just drop your empty mag, move the RediMag over to the live magwell, and off ya go.

Lastly would be a mag coupler/duplexer. They make some nice ones for PMAGs so you would have 60 rounds right there, but for standard AR mags some duct tape and a pencil are all you need to duplex a couple mags yourself on the cheap.

Keep in mind though, if your rifle sling is even slightly annoying now, it's gonna SUCK when you add the weight of all that ammo to your gun. A good sling is worth its weight in gold. On the flip side, adding that much weight to the rifle makes the already-minimal recoil of an AR decrease even more and does help with staying on target.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts