Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on an never ending quest for the perfect BOB. I'm currently assembling a medium alice pack on frame. Now my focus is the medical supplies I would want in my bag. My bag will live in my house ready to deploy if I have to leave. I simply add my weapons and go. So all that being said let's here what you all consider best mix of medical treatment gear and how is it packaged. Pictures are good.....

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Got Quick Clot and a tourniquet ?

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
pjpjr,
I think it is better to build your own directed at your needs. Those two items I asked about are two I always carry on my Harley in case of a wreck during group rides. I built my own based around my area and my needs.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It's a never ending quest pipjr. Plenty of people will advise you on what to carry. Skills are probably even more important in the first aid area so be sure to get qualtiy accredited training. I keep my FAK and trauma gear in a hard case in the BOB because the contents tend to deteriorate faster in a soft pack as they rub and move around. Also it's a good idea to have different levels of kit for BOB, car, home etc so that you can exchange gear between them depending on where you are going and what you are doing. Latest gear I have in my BOB is a compact battery operated blood pressure monitor and a good quality stethescope. If you can't get to proper help quickly then you need to be able to do some diagnosis yourself. Other peice of advice - having had to use my FAK in the car a couple of times for situations where multiple people have been hurt you'd be amazed at how fast stuff like bandages gets used up. We came across a bad traffic accident in a remote area a couple of years back and almost everything in our FAK was useful and used, including space blankets, notebooks and chemical icepacks.

·
left coast survivalist
115 Posts
If you apply a tourniquet, you are going to lose the limb.
Carry absorbant materials for stopping severe bleeding. The best thing for this? Kotex maxi pads. Slap one on and apply pressure until the bleeding stops. Bandage the wound.

In a nutshell:
Materials for stopping bleeding, bandages, gauze wrap, ect.
Splinting materials for broken bones.
Medicines, such as painkillers, anti diarreahials, anti hystamines, antibiotics if you got them.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Carry absorbant materials for stopping severe bleeding. The best thing for this? Kotex maxi pads. Slap one on and apply pressure until the bleeding stops. Bandage the wound.

In a nutshell:
Medicines, such as painkillers, anti diarreahials, anti hystamines, antibiotics if you got them.

Thats why I suggest Quick Clot like our kids are using in Iraq. The tourniquet can be dangerous if you are not there to loosen and re tighten. But think of a biker passenger that has just been slammed by some fool who was running their mouth on their cell phone and took half their leg off. You got to wait for rescue. What do you do. Take classes they are free and can save a life.

Reactions: Sam Reeves

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
I too am going to start piling together a good BOB.
thanks to the people who have helped me.

Would a one person tent be out of the question for a BOB?
Sorry didnt mean to hijack. Just thought it could benefit me and others who wanted to know.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
not if it is just you. or think about the poncho we used in Nam with a liner.

·
Registered
585 Posts
They also use tourniquets over there. Just because you use a tournequet does not mean that you will lose a limb. They have had people in tournequets for as long as 3 hours and have been able to save the limb. Also, if you can find them, an Israeli bandage is very nice to have. I used them in Iraq and they work great.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
The quick clot works great, but if you're allergic to shell fish don't use it, or it could mess you up pretty bad.

but better than dead. We have had that argument a few times in training:D:

·
Survivor
48 Posts
Carry absorbent materials for stopping severe bleeding. The best thing for this? Kotex maxi pads. Slap one on and apply pressure until the bleeding stops. Bandage the wound.

In a nutshell:
+1
Eye wash, splinter tweezers and mole skin for foot blisters too.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Speaking of Eye wash, eye injuries scare the hell out of me thats why I am a firm believer in eye wear protection. ie: safety glasses.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i have band aids various sizes. 2x2 4x4 4x6 bandages ,few rolls of gauze ,tape.
ace bandages ,saftey pens ,ankle brace ,knee, brace ,wrist brace ,army surgical kit.
needles, thread ,asprin ,bottle peroxcide & rubbing alchol ,benadryl ,index cards ,pen/pencil.emergen c,2 bottle water this is off the top of my head without looking in my bag.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Wraps be it ACE ,Cling or Kerlex.Splinting can be found in the enviorment you are in.ABD's Kotex maxi pads work well.Triangular bandages,a couple of safety pins,4x4's and 2x2's.Triple antibiotic,hydrocortisone cream and pain reliever of choise.

IDTANDY

·
Registered
171 Posts
theres been alot of these threads going around i have a basic medical pack with all the extras its based off a military pack but not one you can order online i bought it from an veteran and he was in the service in the 90's it has Iv hook ups and lots of extras. i am taking classes on how to use it all. i will post pics if i can. Also where can you get quick clot from?????

1 - 20 of 20 Posts