Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
size large
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
besides flares, food and first aid, what would i need for my car bag? if there is an exsisting thread please lead me to it. my bag is a northface fanny pack. small one for on the go.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Spare critical parts and fluids. If you can seal them properly:
2 qt ATF
4 qt (or your vehicle capacity) motor oil
4 qt gasoline
1 pt heet/methanol

mini tool kit
Tire plug kit
manual pump
12 vdc pump
12 vdc light
12 vdc fan
39-55 gal garbage bags (think containment, poncho, sleeping bag, etc)
body towels
hand towels
paper towels
isopropyl alcohol
gojo
large first aid kit

Oh yeah, a bigger bag that you actually leave in your vehicle.

·
Why is the Rum gone?
4,774 Posts
since your pack is small, I'd add a space blanket, a poncho, bic lighter, compass, extra socks and a small flash light.

·
Sibi Totique
1,074 Posts
Flashlight or even better a headlamp so you have both hand free if you have to fix your car at night. The Petzl E-Lite is really nice and small if you have small pack, otherwise I would go with the Silva L1 Headlamp. Chemical lightsticks are also good.

Some basic tools.

One or more big container for water (10 liters or more). Some food (freeze dried or MRE:s).

Radio with batteries and preferably with dynamo.

Roadmaps over your regional area. Compass and even better: A GPS.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Dry socks - I got stranded once and had to hike 12 miles in the rain - would have given my left arm for a pair.

Poncho - you can get the cheap ones in a small bag from anywhere that sells camping gear - or you could just put a folded up trash bag in there, many uses for that.

·
Slayer of Sacred Cows
588 Posts
There are soem great posts here.

I keep a GHB(Get Home Bag) as well as a plastic storage trunk like they sell at Wally world for around $17.00. In it on one side is my tool bag and an air compresor for fixing flats. The other half is a milk crate holding 6 Hormel Complete Meals, 3 Ramen Cup od Noodels, 4 large water bottles(around a quart each) paper towels and a box of plastic forks, spoons and knives. Plus a flourecent battery powered work light.

·
Obamageddon Survivor???
1,178 Posts
I'm sure some people will say more, some people will say less, but here's a few ideas its all in what YOUR comfortable with.

Pair of old boots / shoes (ever lost a shoe to mud or snow?)
Jacket
1 full change of clothes
Poncho
Wool blanket (Don't really like the Mylar Blankets)
Couple Bungie cords
First Aid Kit
CB Radio
Flashlights
Couple MRE's and Retort Water
Water Container of some kind
purification of some kind
fire starting equipment
E-Tool
Knife
Firearm or Flair Gun, Subject to legality
Spare fluids / fuses / belt in the trunk of the car

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
A spare serpentine belt and wrench(socket and breaker bar is better for leverage) to change it with. The weakest parts of your car is the tires, radiator, and belts. They wear also, just like tires but many people dont see the wear out until its too late. Battery post cleaner and wrench for that also is right up there with jumper cables.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
Think more in the lines of two bags: one to get the car running again (depending on your abilities), and one for you to walk away with(a large fanny pack usually works for the average commute hike).

A get-home-safely bag is about mobility, not long term camping.

·
Brace for impact!!
413 Posts
Good suggestions already given. I follow them all to some degree. One item I don't believe I saw in any of the above posts that I'd suggest.....leather work gloves for heavy duty work and a light pair of cotton garden gloves for lighter duty work. Might as well throw in a couple pairs of latex gloves and five or so dust masks.

HuskerBill
South Texas

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I remember once the bracket holding my exhaust pipe broke loose. A pair of leather gloves(really hot) and some wire would have come in real handy.

·
Stay Prepared
57 Posts
I didn't notice Duct Tape on any of of the lists. I agree with the tow bag approach -- one for tools, spare parts, ect. and one to get home.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts