Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I live in Alaska and my wife and I are putting together our BOBs in time for Jan 20. It has been cold here (highs of 0F and lows of -20F). What special gear should we consider for the colder temperatures?

·
Registered
861 Posts
If its that cold there sounds like your going to need a heck of a lot of fire wood and warm cloths. And stay where you are at unless you have a good cabin some where.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wife's family has a cabin about an hour outside of town. I am more worried about survival during SHTF.

An earthquake could break my gas lines, forcing us out of the house quickly. That is the most likely scenario Bug Out scenario for me. Everything else usually has us staying in the house during SHTF.

·
Banned
3,995 Posts
All,

I live in Alaska and my wife and I are putting together our BOBs in time for Jan 20. It has been cold here (highs of 0F and lows of -20F). What special gear should we consider for the colder temperatures?

I'd imagine the locals would know a lot more about that than the vast majority of people here. My friends from Alaska pack a BOB just to go to the grocery store. Back in Alaska, a trip to the grocery store could easily turn into a life-threatening situation.

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
Extra clothes. A really good sleeping bag. Extra shelter gear and the tools to make show shelters. Candles and heat sources. High calorie freeze proof food.

Bear spray?

·
Wasteland Wanderer
540 Posts
Those foil survival blankets make an awful din but they are cheap and have saved my ass when I was stupid enough to go camping in the northern part of Lake Huron at the beginning of May.

They are also good as ground cover if used in conjunction with a tarp.

·
One of the Frozen Chosen
250 Posts
Hi there - long time Alaskan prepper here, and I'm sure others from the Last Frontier will weigh in as well. With the long cold snap we've been having (-30 at night and supposed to be colder tonight, though it's up to -18 now), I've just checked my bag. The main things I carry, in addition to the usual small arms, firestarter/tinder, water purifier, emergency blankets, small tarp, etc. are extra clothing. That is, glove liners and down gloves, wool hats w/over the ear flaps, balaclava, warm socks, down vest.

I have to wear warm boots to work and change into shoes there so that's pretty covered since I have my boots all the time. I always keep several hot hands and hot feet packets in there too -- Freddies has them for a good price. My sleeping bag is kept loose in the back of the car but can easily be stuffed in on top. The thing to keep in mind is maintaining body temperature as well as mobility. I wear a dress everyday but during the winter that means I only wear warm tights, not nylons. You may want to add long underwear but these tights are the best thing I've ever had and I recommend them too!

I'm sure you know that when it's this cold the bears are sleeping, but because the moose are out and the days are dark you may want a headlamp to keep your hands free. We've built snow caves using our bare (gloved) hands, but a small trenching tool is in my car to tie onto my bag if I do have to bug out on foot...sometimes that snow can be rock hard on top. I also have my old backpacking grill, which is very small and lightweight - but balanced on two rocks over a small hot fire I've made hot chocolate, tea, coffe, instant oatmeal, etc to keep the body temp up...that's an option for heat as well as cooking but others may prefer a regular backpacking stove.

·
Frozen Patriot
664 Posts
I recently added a wood stove insert to my fireplace for backup heat. The unit wasn't cheap but I take staying warm seriously especially here in AK. I also have gas boiler with radiant baseboard so back up heating is of the utmost importance.

As far as the BOB goes, one of the most important items in it should be fire starting tools. A tube of fire ribbon is a must for the wet wood and such. extra gloves, long johns, socks etc. I also have a "good" collapsible saw. Also don't forget about light, I prefer a headlamp myself with lots of extra batteries. You gotta love these long dark winters...

DS

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I carry a "get home bag" in my work truck. A couple of MRE's, some snack food and since keeping water in the truck this time of years isn't do able ,I carry a single burner whisper lite stove to melt snow if push comes to shove.
With my work at home , I'm not more than about 12 miles away on any given day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These suggestion have been really helpful. I am doing some shopping today and I was missing a few of the 'stay warm' items from my list.

My main worry is a gas leak at my house or a fire. Otherwise my house is fortress should be fine through zombies or what ever. Multiple heat and light sources along with an ever growing supply of food and ammo.

·
Banned
3,995 Posts
That is, glove liners and down gloves, wool hats w/over the ear flaps, balaclava, warm socks, down vest

That sounds like a delicious choice for a BOB. I assume it freezes well?
Does anyone have an opinion on if those disposable pocket hand warmers are worth the space in a BOB?

·
Registered
784 Posts
i would say woolen clothes, n i dont know how much snow that u normally get but either snow shoes or cross country skies, along with a good shovel to make a snow cave, n candles or a solid fuel stove for light heat n cooking

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am in Anchorage so I am not in the 'wilderness' but I do need to be able to survive outside in -30F for a couple hours and away from the house for 72 hours. If I have to leave my house something is WAY wrong.

·
I come in peace..
1,285 Posts
I would think keeping your feet warm, and hands is a priority..

I read that when out in the snow, first priority is warmth/shelter. Then food and water.

My point is -- lots of clothing

A good knife.

·
Registered
26 Posts
hey donot...what part of anc do you live in?....for some good ideas you can look and see what bush pilots are required to carry...there are also lots of good parks as well as the state park that you can practice skills in... livin in ak one should have 2 weeks extra rations plus gear anyways tho most do not...anyways take care and good luck

·
One of the Frozen Chosen
250 Posts

That sounds like a delicious choice for a BOB. I assume it freezes well?
Ha Ha! Funny - that's a picture of Baklava, right? ;)

The little hand warmers don't take a lot of room, and mine get used regularly if not by me then by friends -

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Dollyfish : When I deceide to go into Bush Pilot mode, I carry a big roll of one dollar bills
to put in the garters of the dancers at the "Great Alaskan Bush Co." on International Airport Road. .........

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am over by Kincaid Park in South West Anchorage. 99% of my plans involve staying put. But in the case of some sort of emergency that forces my from my house I want to be able to survive.

I added wool socks and gloves today. I almost forgot the cash. I will get some tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts