Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
To arms to arms
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the BOB what color should be used to not attract attention in the city or walking along a highway.My BOB is camo and i was thinking that if the SHTF and i have to walk to my home or my BOL.I would attract some attention with a camo bag on my back.What do you all think.This of course is to try to avoid a confrontation with someone wondering what you have in it.Or am i just being paranoid and nobody would pay attention to the color.This is the bag that is always in my car.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Good question.

I.m not sure that the color of your BOB would be what attracts unwanted attention.

Now days, it seems, half the population wears on some sort of cammo or military looking apparel.

You didn't state the situation that caused you to be walking along w/BOB, but if it were a real meltdown, it surely wouldn't make any difference, that I can see.

One of mine is tan, the other OD.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I think that if you actually have to use your BOB in a worst case scenario then camo or some earth tone would give you the greatest advantage. If you want a book bag for today then go with day-glo or whatever is fashionable.

Camo of some sort may also give the impression that just maybe there might be easier pickins elsewhere, everything else being equal. At least theres a chance of that at any rate.

For me olive drab or alpenflage works best.

·
Modern Survivalist
24 Posts
Any dull neutral color,

dull khaki
olive drab
grey
etc.

Camo is often over rated anyway. You ever watch a deer "ghost" into the woods and vanish in plain sight. Does he have military digital or mossy oak? Hell no, shadow and light and a neutral color are all that is needed in most situations. To me with a drab color that is "non militant" you blend in, both in tactical situation and in plain sight looking like some random refugee.

JMHO,

·
Super Moderator
12,059 Posts
You can always change the color by adding a rain proof cover in a more 'suitable' color for the area. My Kifaru Marauder is coyote brown, with all the PALS webbing and attached pouches gives a very military look. I keep a green cover for it for both the regular reason of protecting it from rain and snow, but also to 'camouflage' it to look like a helpless every day pack.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Mine looks like a student backpack because it is. I guess it depends on your situation around here wearing cammo doesn't happen any more. None of the people around here where it at all. Your more likely to see a swiss gear baby blue with black backpack. Cammo would raise a few alarms around me pretty fast. I'm avoiding any of the tacticcool guns and packs here that would raise eyebrows both before and after it happens. The gangs would target you knowing you have guns and they travel in packs not alone.

·
just doin my job..
421 Posts
I agree that camo would raise an eyebrow or two and draw some unneeded attention.. where I live isnt really a big crime central or anything and I was talking to a guy at the local surplus store who was standing outside a church waiting with two or three of his friends, to go paintballing.. they were all wearing camo but obviously not military helmets or wailing grenades around.. but they were stopped by the police and handcuffed because of their peculiarness..

my hiking backpack, which I use day to day and also as a BOB is bright red and looks pretty old and like something a bum might use.. I have no clue what kind of attention I'd get in town but I dont think I would notice if someone were wearing a normal hiking backpack.. compared to someone with military equipment , camo clothes and big leather boots.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
We have regular backpacks, shasta internal frames and in the tops of those we have woodland jackets that fit over the outside so they disappear if needed. In Cali we had desert covers. The jackets serve two purposes though.

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
Pics BOB colour

This may give you a few ideas on colour.
The first one is my day pack which was originally coloured a deep purple at the time of purchase.
So I purchased a water based green fence and gave 5 liberal coats of paint which soaked into the fabric and doesn't wash out.

The second one is my long haul overnight pack which was brightly coloured with red and blue flashing at the time of purchase.
Again I did the same paint job on it with the same results.
The paint also helped with water proofing and protecting the stitching.
It is a generic colour for the bush, but is acceptable in public view on the streets these days.
If things go bad, a backpack of any colour in the public domain is going to attract unwanted attention purely on speculation of its contents.

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm considering a cammo cover for woodlands issue and I still say a backpack would be fine because I carry one all the time and no one even looks twice if anyone does pop a book out the top about a computer/school topic even at six foot tall a little over weight and balding no one gives you a look if your young and fit still works bring cammo or green police start getting nervous and look a little closer then you might like.

·
Registered
18 Posts
VS17

Id roll with a OD pack. If you wanna be seen for extraction or so your not hit by vechiles Id look into a VS17 panel, it has blaze orange on one side and a purple on the other. it has eyelets to tie it down, and a pocket to weight it down.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
My car BOB is an old Cinderella knapsack my kid used for a year and then dumped.
My tool BOB for winter is similar, an old Spiderman pack.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Mines a swiss gear the Barbie pack passed to the youngest as here BOB. Gotta get that kid another wind flashlight she's kill me on batteries.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Got to agree with Jerry on the rain proof cover. I also think that you could make a pack cover in any kind of color from some fabric and elastic. Maybe even have a two sided color. Safety orange and some drab color could be a good combination. Could even double as some kind of signalling tool.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Mines a swiss gear the Barbie pack passed to the youngest as here BOB. Gotta get that kid another wind flashlight she's kill me on batteries.
My BUF (thats back up flashlight for you newbies) is a plastic "Cars" flashlight. The switch is held with tape in the on position but the light doen'st work without holding down the red push button. You can h owever flash morse code messages like: "don't buy Disney stuff for your survival gear". etc. Great thread. :xeye:

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Why do they always go to sleep with their BOB flashlight left on!!! I tried the wind up flashlight, to be used in TEOTWAWKI scenario. Kids broke the handles off 2 of the three I bought in a few days. They were rated for nuclear survival., not 6 year old and 9 year old. Should I even store candles? Guess we'll be in the dark.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts